TomJH

Does Donald Trump Have Mental Health Problems?

165 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, jakeem said:

It’s clear the book has driven Trump off the edge, starved for validation, tweeting like a madman this morning. He’s calling for firing a reporter, bizarrely claiming Russia probe over, back on Hillary attack, fake media, talking re: his "greatest assets" & being a “star."

And when the President of the United States has to tell you that “mental stability” is one of his “greatest assets” and that he is “like, really smart” it’s pretty pathetic and very worrying. He’s in another complete meltdown.

Telling yourself you’re a “genius” is narcissistic. Telling the world on Twitter is flat out embarrassing. Going on to call yourself a “stable genius” is just bonkers. Trump & WH clearly very worried re: Wolff letting cat out of the bag that all in WH think he’s unfit. Scary.

And it doesn’t taking being a “genius" to win a presidential election. It just takes some friends in Russia.

America in Crisis

• Thanks 3

54 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

America in Crisis

I disagree. I think all this riganarol makes donny seem very colorful and even lovable.

• Haha 1

If Trump is repeating the same stories three times within the space of ten or twenty minutes as Wolff says then that is a sure sing of dementia.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

If Trump is repeating the same stories three times within the space of ten or twenty minutes as Wolff says then that is a sure sing of dementia.

His father had dementia at the same age and dementia is often hereditary.

• Thanks 4

9 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

His father had dementia at the same age and dementia is often hereditary.

Yet Republicans are sucking up to him because they're getting what they want out of him  (was it Steve Bannon who said that they just needed somebody who could hold a pen and sign their bills?) and will continue to support him even though it's pretty clear something is very wrong with Trump's brain.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, jakeem said:

Reportedly one Congressional Republican was also at the meeting representing trump's party.

3 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Yet Republicans are sucking up to him because they're getting what they want out of him  (was it Steve Bannon who said that they just needed somebody who could hold a pen and sign their bills?) and will continue to support him even though it's pretty clear something is very wrong with Trump's brain.  

Almost makes you cynical about some politicians, doesn't it?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

Almost makes you cynical about some politicians, doesn't it?

Yeah, funny and true but this is beyond typical cynical politicians.  These current Republicans are supporting a guy who is dangerously mentally unfit (and unwilling to learn anything but this is the mental health thread) to get what they want at the expense of the nation.  Country first?  It sure doesn't seem so.

The thing is they could get still get what they want with Pence.  They just don't want to go through the mess it would take to get rid of Trump.  They don't have the stomach for it.  Plus their Trump-supporting voters back home would be royally p***** off. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Yeah, funny and true but this is beyond typical cynical politicians.  These current Republicans are supporting a guy who is dangerously mentally unfit (and unwilling to learn anything but this is the mental health thread) to get what they want at the expense of the nation.  Country first?  It sure doesn't seem so.

The thing is they could get still get what they want with Pence.  They just don't want to go through the mess it would take to get rid of Trump.  They don't have the stomach for it.  Plus their Trump-supporting voters back home would be royally p***** off. 

I don't think their supporters know which way is up now.  As evidenced with Trump's two most devoted supporters right here when first they hate Mitch McConnell, Paul Ryan and the Establishment GOP because that is what they are told to do, and now they embrace them and hate Steve Bannon.  Not very clear ideology is it.  Seems to me it is an ideology of 'anything' so long as it is supporting Trump.  They too don't seem to care what is in these bills just so long as Trump gets to sign them and look like a winner and hence somehow justify their misguided faith in him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

I don't think their supporters know which way is up now.  As evidenced with Trump's two most devoted supporters right here when first they hate Mitch McConnell, Paul Ryan and the Establishment GOP because that is what they are told to do, and now they embrace them and hate Steve Bannon.  Not very clear ideology is it.  Seems to me it is an ideology of 'anything' so long as it is supporting Trump.  They too don't seem to care what is in these bills just so long as Trump gets to sign them and look like a winner and hence somehow justify their misguided faith in him.

Some call it tribalism. Whatever. We know that no matter what Trump does many of his followers will NEVER admit they made the wrong decision in voting for him. And they'll vote for him again.

You're right, Bogie. There is no ideology. It is just a blind allegiance to one man. And that's frightening because this man is so unstable. Wasn't Bannon Jake's God a little while ago? Now he's bashing him with the other Trump supporters.

Thank God, fanatically devoted as this base is, their numbers are not growing.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Some call it tribalism. Whatever. We know that no matter what Trump does many of his followers will NEVER admit they made the wrong decision in voting for him. And they'll vote for him again.

You're right, Bogie. There is no ideology. It is just a blind allegiance to one man. And that's frightening because this man is so unstable. Wasn't Bannon Jake's God a little while ago? Now he's bashing him with the other Trump supporters.

Not growing! - - That's an understatement. Republican supporters are an endangered species.

But I've got to give Jeff Sessions some credit because he's doing all he can to close that Barn Door.  However, I'm afraid the "cows" have  already escaped out into somebody's else's pasture, where the grass is greener. LOL

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TomJH said:

I made the same comment sometime back re: Trump's supporters.  These people will never admit they are wrong.  To admit it would require them admitting they are racist or stupid or both.

However, it extends beyond Trump to the Republican Party itself.  While their numbers may not be growing, they are not declining either.  The real question is whether or not those supposedly "independents" who vote Republican and voted for Trump will change their votes.  In addition, will the actual independents who changed from Dem to GOP in 2016 and before vote Dem in future?  That is the real test for the Democrats and the 2018 and 2020 elections.

• Like 2

It's a pretty good read. The first line reads, "Is Donald Trump mentally fit to be president of the United States? It’s an understandable question, and it’s also beside the point." That might sound like he's going easy on Trump, but he is not. We don't need the label and we don't need professional diagnoses because it's patently obvious that Trump is off the charts with his execrable behavior. As to whether he has an underlying illness, he says, "Who knows?" But he does suggest a solution, which is something that is hardly spectacular.

Thanks, Tap, for the head's up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/10/opinion/is-mr-trump-nuts.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, laffite said:

It's a pretty good read. The first line reads, "Is Donald Trump mentally fit to be president of the United States? It’s an understandable question, and it’s also beside the point." That might sound like he's going easy on Trump, but he is not. We don't need the label and we don't need professional diagnoses because it's patently obvious that Trump is off the charts with his execrable behavior. As to whether he has an underlying illness, he says, "Who knows?" But he does suggest a solution, which is something that is hardly spectacular.

Thanks, Tap, for the head's up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/10/opinion/is-mr-trump-nuts.html

What's the recommended solution?

1 minute ago, TheCid said:

What's the recommended solution?

"The best solution is the simplest: Vote, and organize others to register and to vote. If you believe Donald Trump represents a danger to the country and the world, you can take action to rein in his power. In November, you can help elect members of Congress who will fight Mr. Trump’s most dangerous behaviors. If that fails, there’s always 2020."

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

"The best solution is the simplest: Vote, and organize others to register and to vote. If you believe Donald Trump represents a danger to the country and the world, you can take action to rein in his power. In November, you can help elect members of Congress who will fight Mr. Trump’s most dangerous behaviors. If that fails, there’s always 2020."

Probably an accurate assessment of the best we can hope for.  There is absolutely no way he will be removed from office by impeachment and trial or by the 25th Amendment.  Just NOT going to happen.  Even if the Dems get control of both House and Senate (unlikely) in 2019.  Nor do I see him resigning - not in his make-up.  Remember, not matter how mad he gets about what is said about him or what does or does not happen, he is enjoying the hell out of all the attention.  Not to mention all the publicity he gets world-wide for everything he says or does.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheCid said:

Probably an accurate assessment of the best we can hope for.  There is absolutely no way he will be removed from office by impeachment and trial or by the 25th Amendment.  Just NOT going to happen.  Even if the Dems get control of both House and Senate (unlikely) in 2019.  Nor do I see him resigning - not in his make-up.  Remember, not matter how mad he gets about what is said about him or what does or does not happen, he is enjoying the hell out of all the attention.  Not to mention all the publicity he gets world-wide for everything he says or does.

You and I have agreed since the start about;  'Just NOT going to happen', but I'm more open to the 25th Amendment option now than I was,  say,  3 months ago.     We don't see Trump in those private meetings with his cabinet officials.    So it is just possible they have seen behavior that would compel them to invoke the 25th.

Hey,  not very likely,  but if his private behavior is a lot worst than his public comments and tweets,   it isn't impossible.

15 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You and I have agreed since the start about;  'Just NOT going to happen', but I'm more open to the 25th Amendment option now than I was,  say,  3 months ago.     We don't see Trump in those private meetings with his cabinet officials.    So it is just possible they have seen behavior that would compel them to invoke the 25th.

Hey,  not very likely,  but if his private behavior is a lot worst than his public comments and tweets,   it isn't impossible.

While may not be impossible, I'm pessimistic.  I just don't see the Republicans doing it.  Read an article in this weeks Time magazine (I think) pretty much saying the same thing.  For one thing, it would be a ping pong back and forth between Trump saying he is able and Pence and cabinet saying he isn't and Congress having to decide over and over and over who is right.

For it to happen, Pence and a majority of the cabinet would have to get the RNC, 80% of GOP in senate and house and who knows how many others nationally to agree before they would dare do it.  They do not have the courage nor the best interest of the US to do it.  Much less the moral fiber and backbone.

The corporations, banks, wealthy, financiers, lobbyist, ad infinitum would strongly object.  Purely on the grounds that it would disrupt the markets and hurt their financial standings (wealth).

• Like 1

Is it possible that Trump might do something so bad that the GOP would move to get rid of him? If so, what would that something be? Or does he have carte blanche, even if to the point of a clear and present danger to the US or the world?

4 minutes ago, laffite said:

Is it possible that Trump might do something so bad that the GOP would move to get rid of him? If so, what would that something be? Or does he have carte blanche, even if to the point of a clear and present danger to the US or the world?

If one is talking impeachment,   Congress needs to follow the Constitution,  right?  I.e. that 'something so bad' needs to be something that is “treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.”

As bad as Trump is I assume you don't wish for a US President to be removed like leaders are in 3rd world nations.