Sign in to follow this  
papyrusbeetle

the disturbing IDEAL world of "Leave it to Beaver" (classic tv!)

89 posts in this topic

Don't remember the name, but I looked up one of the actresses that was in several Perry Masons and other shows as well.  

She "retired" and got an office job at a major company because she could not support herself and children on what she made playing bit parts on TV or in movies.

Have you ever actually pet a goldfish?

No and yes. Everybody had pet goldfish. We bought them for pennies at Woolworth's.

I say we never had one because by the end of the week you flushed at least one down the toilet and went back and got another two.

Everyone also had something called Guppies. They procreated so fast that one kid bought a few and had to give the rest away.

As I can recall we also had a history of some parakeets, some baby chicks at Easter and a short-lived bunny rabbit.

But for the most part, we and just about everybody else, had at least one or two dogs that were real family members for the long- term.

No and yes. Everybody had pet goldfish. We bought them for pennies at Woolworth's.

I say we never had one because by the end of the week you flushed at least one down the toilet and went back and got another two.

Everyone also had something called Guppies. They procreated so fast that one kid bought a few and had to give the rest away.

As I can recall we also had a history of some parakeets, some baby chicks at Easter and a short-lived bunny rabbit.

But for the most part, we and just about everybody else, had at least one or two dogs that were real family members for the long- term.

Use to have an aquarium back during the late 1960's - '70's.  

affordable-small-design-of-the-fresh-wat

Thanks for the PET details!

I am so glad the Cleavers had pets :-)

BUT---many many recent "families" (with those creepy empty new spotless home-sets) have no pet of any kind.

some examples:

"The Sopranos"

"The Americans"

"Ray Donovan"

This MIGHT be simply to distance the audiences from these sick evil characters and their lives, but it's pretty strange.

Thanks for the PET details!

I am so glad the Cleavers had pets :-)

BUT---many many recent "families" (with those creepy empty new spotless home-sets) have no pet of any kind.

some examples:

"The Sopranos"

"The Americans"

"Ray Donovan"

This MIGHT be simply to distance the audiences from these sick evil characters and their lives, but it's pretty strange.

"The Sopranos" so clean, there is no forensic evidence.  :ph34r:

It was a differnt era.  Doubt anyone paid that much attention back then as it would have been months, if not years, between the episodes.  Also, screen time would have actually been fairly brief.

Now we can see two episodes every day so much easier to pick up on these things.

Wish I could remember the blonde's name as she was in several of them with different names.

When I was a dumb little kid watching the originals, I probably wouldn't have noticed either.

When I was a dumb little kid watching the originals, I probably wouldn't have noticed either.

The only one I distinctly remember noticing was Lori Martin in one episode where the Beav started seeing her, with a disappointing outcome.

She was hot - kind of a junior Liz Taylor.

The only one I distinctly remember noticing was Lori Martin in one episode where the Beav started seeing her, with a disappointing outcome.

She was hot - kind of a junior Liz Taylor.

No wonder there was a disappointing outcome. She probably chewed up the Beav and spit him out.

No wonder there was a disappointing outcome. She probably chewed up the Beav and spit him out.

Yeah, she broke his heart.

At the end of the episode he saw her sitting on her porch swing with Whitey (it had been Beav only the day before) - I guess getting ready to break Whitey's heart next.

I remember the episode where Beaver's Hispanic friend came

over. Mean old Eddie told Beav to say his friend looked like a

porco/pig, and of course the friend was insulted. Eventually

things were straightened out.

Maybe Beaver should have taken an egg and smashed it

into Lori's upper chest area and rubbed it on her skin.

I never had a goldfish, but I did have one of those small green

turtles with the plastic bowl complete with plastic palm tree. Looking

back, that was pretty much animal cruelty. 

If I remember this correctly, she used Beaver just to get close to Wally. If That wasn't the episode with Lori then it happened with another girl --but Beav did learn his lesson.

The other funny dating situation I remember is that Wally was supposed to take out an ordinary looking girl, but he later have an opportunity to take out the top girl in the class.

So he wanted to dump the ordinary girl, but after Ward talked with him, he had to do the right thing. LOL

I remember the episode where Beaver's Hispanic friend came over. 

That would be Chewy.

The other funny dating situation I remember is that Wally was supposed to take out an ordinary looking girl, but he later have an opportunity to take out the top girl in the class.

So he wanted to dump the ordinary girl, but after Ward talked with him, he had to do the right thing.

Why, that pug-nosed bastard!

If I remember this correctly, she used Beaver just to get close to Wally. If That wasn't the episode with Lori then it happened with another girl --but Beav did learn his lesson.

So he wanted to dump the ordinary girl, but after Ward talked with him, he had to do the right thing. LOL

That was Mary Ellen Rogers, who may have been played by the same actress I saw today as Myra.

The "Chewy" episode was a non-starter.

Non starter, huh? Is that why Eddie told Beav to tell Chewy he had an el porco face?

As I remember it, Wally had to wait till Monday to slug Eddie for that one.

That would be Chewy.

I thought it was Chewy, but I didn't want to insult him any

further, as I assume that was not his actual name. I can't

say it's one of the funniest episodes of the show.

The episode with Lori Martin, of Cape Fear fame, showed her trying to paly Beaver and one of his friends against each other.  Not against Wally.  The age difference between Wally and Beaver was too big for them to compete for same "women."

I can't say it's one of the funniest episodes of the show.

Eddie thought it was.

Posted (edited)

That would be Chewy.

:lol:

"Chewy"? :rolleyes:

You Anglos crack me UP!

That would be CHUY, a diminutive of JESUS and a variant of CHUCHO .

Or...JOSHUA to all you WASPS. B)

I haven't been married 29 years to a Mexican gal without learning a LITTLE something!  ;)

At least enough to when an old friend of mine introduced me to some slugwitted friend of his, who when learning my wife was Mexican, and told me he wanted to "tap" some Tex-Mex girl he met and wanted to get in good with her Dad, he asked me what was a good greeting in "Mex lingo" to say to him, I thought I'd teach him a lesson and schooled him in saying, "Hola, **** ****."   :P

Sepiatone

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited For Language

In this morning's episode, the Beav had both a mouse and a monkey named Stanley.

Posted (edited)

"Hola**** ****." 

Speak English for crysake.

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited Quote For Language

In this morning's episode, the Beav had both a mouse and a monkey named Stanley.

Both were named Stanley? How lazy.

Posted (edited)

Speak English for crysake.

OK...

HELLO, **** ****:)

Sepiatone

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited For Language