Sign in to follow this  
papyrusbeetle

the disturbing IDEAL world of "Leave it to Beaver" (classic tv!)

89 posts in this topic

Eddie thought it was.

It was one of his better tricks, but that couldn't save the episode.

I'm LONG past tired of the moderator's self-righteous presumptions and Napoleonic precepts.

I'm beginning to suspect the individual wears a BLINDFOLD when THEY take a shower!  :o

Sepiatone

I'm LONG past tired of the moderator's self-righteous presumptions and Napoleonic precepts.

I'm beginning to suspect the individual wears a BLINDFOLD when THEY take a shower!  :o

Sepiatone

What prompted this outburst?

Having been born in the 1930's and lived in the 1940's and 1950's, the world of the Cleavers was not so strange to many since it represented a country returning from a war and trying to have a great and sound family life. I knew lots of families with parents and a house like theirs. I realize it seems an idealized world to some, but some ideals are based on fact. June Cleaver reminds me of a lot of women who lived in my neighborhood and were married and there were guys like Ward but also guys like Fred Rutherford to even the score. 

• Like 1

Having been born in the 1930's and lived in the 1940's and 1950's, the world of the Cleavers was not so strange to many since it represented a country returning from a war and trying to have a great and sound family life. I knew lots of families with parents and a house like theirs. I realize it seems an idealized world to some, but some ideals are based on fact. June Cleaver reminds me of a lot of women who lived in my neighborhood and were married and there were guys like Ward but also guys like Fred Rutherford to even the score.

When I initially watched Leave It to Beaver, I was close to the same age as the Beav. What I liked about the show then was how similar his teacher, school and classroom setting were to mine.

A few years later, when Beaver was going into adolescence, this again was similar to the kind of stuff that we had to go through--dressing up, learning all those manners, dance school and politeness with adults.

When I initially watched Leave It to Beaver, I was close to the same age as the Beav. What I liked about the show then was how similar his teacher, school and classroom setting were to mine.

A few years later, when Beaver was going into adolescence, this again was similar to the kind of stuff that we had to go through--dressing up, learning all those manners, dance school and politeness with adults.

I never had to go to dance school, rarely dressed up, was allowed to eat like Henry VIII, and was taught not to trust anyone over 30.

Sepiatone

I'm long past tired of your complaints.    :lol:

• Like 1

I'm long past tired of your complaints.    :lol:

It'll get better once the weather is good enough for me to sit on my porch and yell at kids to get off my lawn.  :P

Sepiatone

It'll get better once the weather is good enough for me to sit on my porch and yell at kids to get off my lawn. :P

Sepiatone

Sep--

This may not be the time and place for it. But I have to remind you that Andy Hardy's Father, Judge Hardy AKA Lewis Stone had a heart attack and died right there near his lawn doing the very thing that you just spoke of.

Keeping that in mind, it might be just as well to buy a "keep off the grass sign" or a very big dog.

Yeah, I knew about Lewis Stone.  But I thought he was chasing teen VANDALS at the time.  But anyway....

I really don't CARE if kids get on my lawn.  And as for a big dog?

Well, not TOO big of a dog, or the heart attack might come from scooping up those huge DROPPINGS!  ;)

As for my complaining JAMES......notice down there that the Mod even censored the Spanish  words!  Guess HE must be "undocumented"?  Or maybe just DE-mented........

Sepiatone

It'll get better once the weather is good enough for me to sit on my porch and yell at kids to get off my lawn.  :P

Sepiatone

My mother made a career out of doing that, except she would peek through the blinds while lurking inside the house, and then came storming out to confront the unsuspecting kids.