Sign in to follow this  
jaragon

New Horror Worth Watching

17 posts in this topic

Thanks for the recommendation for The Autopsy of Jane Doe. I hope people will contribute to this thread when they see or read about any interesting horror films that might slip under the radar. There are so many indie/low-budget titles released each year that it's tough to separate the gems from the junk. I read the other day that Fangoria has been discontinued as both a print and online magazine, plus I don't always trust the other horror websites, who occasionally recommend junk that someone they know made but is complete garbage.

Someone on here recommended the movie Grabbers which I sought out and really enjoyed, so I hope to hear about more in the future.

• Like 2

Thanks for the recommendation for The Autopsy of Jane Doe. I hope people will contribute to this thread when they see or read about any interesting horror films that might slip under the radar. There are so many indie/low-budget titles released each year that it's tough to separate the gems from the junk. I read the other day that Fangoria has been discontinued as both a print and online magazine, plus I don't always trust the other horror websites, who occasionally recommend junk that someone they know made but is complete garbage.

Someone on here recommended the movie Grabbers which I sought out and really enjoyed, so I hope to hear about more in the future.

Sorry to hear about the end of "Fangoria' I've hear of "Grabbers" but have not seen it

I hope people will contribute to this thread when they see or read about any interesting horror films that might slip under the radar.

I agree 100% Lawrence.

I've been pointed to several contemporary horror films by this message board, that I've really enjoyed. Never would have seen them without posters' recommendations.

• Like 1

We finally saw The Autopsy of Jane Doe this weekend after a long wait and it was worth the wait. Directed by André Øvredal and starring Brian Cox and Emile Hirsch, the movie is smart, disturbing, and, as the coroners examine the body, truly horrifying.

Brian Cox and Emile Hirsch give excellent performances, and they have a great scene in an elevator.

I won't go into details because I don't want to spoil it if someone hasn't seen it, and also because I'd like to see it again, soon I hope.  

Recommended.

Thanks to jaragon for the recommendation.

Edited by Arsan404
  • Like 1

I finally saw it a couple of months ago, and really liked it.

Here's my review that I posted elsewhere at the time:

The Autopsy of Jane Doe - Unnerving horror movie from director Andre Ovredal. County medical examiner Tommy (Brian Cox) and his apprentice son Austin (Emile Hirsch) are about to close up shop one night when a body is brought in, an unidentified "Jane Doe" found half-buried in the basement of a house that was the scene of a gruesome crime. The father and son duo decide to do the autopsy that night, but when they start finding conflicting evidence on the body that doesn't add up, they start to sense that something is not quite right. Also featuring Ophelia Lovibond, Michael McElhatton, and Olwen Kelly as Jane Doe.

I didn't know much about this one going in, and I won't divulge any more of the plot so that viewers can do the same. Suffice it to say that I found this the most effectively creepy horror movie in some time, never stooping to cheap sound effect jump-scares or the usual tropes found in many mainstream horror films of the past decade. The performances from the two leads are very good, and the film's 86 minute runtime feels just right. This is a definite recommendation for horror fans.   7/10

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, LawrenceA.

I didn't mean to come across as curt. That's how I saw the movie, by buying the disc from Amazon. I live in a small town and there isn't much if any opportunity to see smaller films in the theater. I'm also woefully unversed in the various streaming services, having never used Hulu, I dropped Netflix when they went predominantly streaming, and I rarely use AmazonPrime streaming, so I don't know what's there. I also don't use illegal torrents or other downloads. So for me it's buying the disc, most often.

You aren't being curt, LawrenceA, at least I didn't see it that way.  I don't use streaming services.  Either I see a movie on TV or DVD.  I have AT&T and you can rent movies to see on your TV through them or maybe it's on one of the premium cable channels like HBO which I get.  I'll check it out.  Thanks again.  I'm always interested in newer horror films that are original, scary and don't s**k.

• Like 2

"The Babadook" (2014) saw this again on cable- a mother and her young son are terrorized by a creature from a children's book- works both as psychological thriller and horror monster movie.  For some bizarre reason Mr Babadook has become some sort of gay icon- there is nothing gay about this nightmarish creature. https://youtu.be/k5WQZzDRVtw

• Like 1

"The Babadook" (2014) saw this again on cable- a mother and her young son are terrorized by a creature from a children's book- works both as psychological thriller and horror monster movie.  For some bizarre reason Mr Babadook has become some sort of gay icon- there is nothing gay about this nightmarish creature. https://youtu.be/k5WQZzDRVtw

That was one of my favorite movies of that year.

I didn't see it, but some one I know saw Annabelle: Creation yesterday and liked it, even though they hated the first one. Her only complaint was that it was a bit overlong.

• Like 1

That was one of my favorite movies of that year.

I didn't see it, but some one I know saw Annabelle: Creation yesterday and liked it, even though they hated the first one. Her only complaint was that it was a bit overlong.

I saw the last Anabelle movie which I thought was ok- the new one directed by David F Sandberg who did the very effective " Lights Out" (2016)

"Anabelle: Creation" which really should have been called " Daughters of Anabelle" is ok- it does a couple of good scare and I like the way they connected it to the first movie at the end- this one is a prequel- and how everything seems to be linked in the Conjuring universe.  But for a scary doll movie it's ok- Anabelle is no Chucky- all she does is sit there are look evil.

• Like 1

" It" (2017) very well produced film adaptation of the Stephen King's novel. The young cast is excellent and Bill Skarsgard makes one scary clown.