Sign in to follow this  
mkd3702

Robert Osborne's Black Book

16 posts in this topic

Hi All - 

Has anyone heard what happened to Blackie, Robert Osborne's precious notebook with the lifelong collection of information about the movies and stars?  It's such a treasure I hope that it will be maintained as a historic document.

Hi All - 

Has anyone heard what happened to "****", Robert Osborne's precious notebook with the lifelong collection of information about the movies and stars?  It's such a treasure I hope that it will be maintained as a historic document.

..even though it apparently has a risqué name.

Didn't Bob refer to the notebook as "B*L*A*C*K*I*E*" (a reference to the color of its cover) in the Private Screenings interview with Alec Baldwin?  (Without the asterisks, of course.)

Anyway, I wonder if Bob left the notebook to the Academy library or some other institution, where his long hours of research would be accessible to and benefit other film researchers.

When I saw the thread title, I was wondering whether somebody was giving Osborne a four-star review, or whether it was a "naughty" word.

TCM Message Boards: Uncut-and commercial-free.

(And I get the heebie-jeebies thinking of Dargo's posts panned-and-scanned.)

I don't know what is happening ... I typed in the name of the notebook in the subject line and the body of the post and I've tried editing it 3 times.  It changes it to **** every time.  

I don't know what is happening ... I typed in the name of the notebook in the subject line and the body of the post and I've tried editing it 3 times.  It changes it to **** every time.  

The word you are typing is also considered a racial slur, and so it gets auto-censored.

The word you are typing is also considered a racial slur, and so it gets auto-censored.

And all this time I though the term referred to a detective.      :blink:

And all this time I though the term referred to a detective.      :blink:

Poor Boston Blaquie.

Yes, this word and how it's always been censored has always reminded me of one part of George Carlin's classic comedy routine, The Seven Words You Can't Say on Television.

(...and that being: "And THEN there are SOME words which only SOMETIMES can not be said on television, and depending upon if they're used as a verb or a noun, and such as you CAN say 'prick your finger', but CAN'T say 'finger your prick' ")

The title of this thread has been edited to reflect the topic of discussion. 

Good move, Moderator!

(...and besides, it's always hard to follow a great comic like Carlin, isn't it!) ;)

LOL

So much for discussing Clark Gable's character in SAN FRANCISCO!

Yancey

I hope they will be able to publish in some form the "black" book Robert kept.  If any information would be harmful to those still alive I'm sure it wouldn't be printed.  Ethel Merman kept one about her career.  I've heard it contained some racy material about the people she performed with.  It is being kept from publication because her son feels it would hurt those still living.

I hope they will be able to publish in some form the "black" book Robert kept.  If any information would be harmful to those still alive I'm sure it wouldn't be printed.  Ethel Merman kept one about her career.  I've heard it contained some racy material about the people she performed with.  It is being kept from publication because her son feels it would hurt those still living.

At least her son has a soul.

WHO could till be living??? I thought Ethel only had a daughter?