Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

A New McCarthyism in Hollywood?

69 posts in this topic

Think I’m wrong? Imagine what Mel Gibson or Vince Vaughn must have felt at the Golden Globes. I couldn’t help wondering how the crowd would have reacted if they had spoken out instead of Meryl Streep. While she was given an ovation, they’d have been booed off the stage.

HOLLYWOOD REPORTER >> http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/a-new-mccarthyism-hollywood-987245

You're right, Jake.

Poor conservative Mel Gibson, working in a town that gives him an Oscar nomination as best director for Hacksaw Ridge. He must feel so rejected by that.

• Like 4

It's good to quote other sources if it helps clarify YOUR point of view, but LACKING you own point of view, we're left to wondering just what THAT is?

"McCarthyism"?  I don't think so.  Not until  Vaughn and Gibson get somehow oficially "blackballed" from the industry.  It's not really "blackballing" if enough people disagree with their views and refuse to go see their movies due to them.

Now, as I didn't bother with watching this year's Golden Globe presentation, I have no idea what Meryl Streep said.  But as I really DON'T think such occasions should be used to forward political or social issue opinions, I'd have probably been as disgusted with HER as much as those who DIDN'T agree with whatever it was she said.

Sepiatone

One definition of McCarthyism: "The practice of publicizing accusations of political disloyalty or subversion with insufficient regard to evidence."

You're Russian to judgment and looking in the wrong direction. If you're concerned about McCarthyism, you should be paying attention to tweets from the White House.

Just thought I'd Putin my two cents' worth.

• Like 5

It was the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC) that investigated Hollywood. McCarthy was a senator, and not involved with the house nor the investigation. He was "delving" into communism in the government. Whether you think McCarthy was a hero or a piece of dung, it is ridiculous for "reporters" to continue to use his name to describe a situation in which he was not involved.

• Like 3

It was the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC) that investigated Hollywood. McCarthy was a senator, and not involved with the house nor the investigation. He was "delving" into communism in the government. Whether you think McCarthy was a hero or a piece of dung, it is ridiculous for "reporters" to continue to use his name to describe a situation in which he was not involved.

Only "reporters"?

Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my "wires tapped" in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism!

• Like 1

A distinction far too seldom pointed out. Thank you!  As for HUAC, when you have a guy investigating Hollywood named "Parnell", you KNOW it is going to end badly!!

• Like 1

You're right, Jake.

Poor conservative Mel Gibson, working in a town that gives him an Oscar nomination as best director for Hacksaw Ridge. He must feel so rejected by that.

If Mel has any free time after utilizing all his anti-Semitic vocabulary, then he can go home and count all the Oscars and Oscar nominations that he has. Probably the only person in Hollywood who has more would be the extreme right-wing Clint Eastwood. Hollywood has been very very good to those two.

• Like 5

Yes, of course this is true Rich, but you know how these sort of things get started, don't ya?!

Some people make SUCH a public *** out of themselves that it becomes inevitable that a word or term in description of their exploits will become coined using their name.

In fact, lately I'm kind of surprised nobody has as yet seems to have coined a word for when some people continually use that whole Twitter thing to express their opinions in a juvenile manner and often devoid of the proper use of English grammar, syntax and/or spelling.

(...and so in these regards, may I now suggest the word "Trumpism" be considered for use in our common lexicon)

LOL

;)

• Like 5

Some pharmaceutical company needs to come up with a medication to control "unintentional eye-roll" before mine completely spin around.

McCarthyism? :rolleyes:

Only "reporters"?

Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my "wires tapped" in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism!

Well, Trump could be a commie, and he is in the government, so at least there is some connection ...

On the other hand, if someone is investigating his movie and television appearances, that would not be McCarthyism. It would be more like "get a life ism."

• Like 1

As long as I'm venting my spleen here, I am so fed up with people using the word "gate" after every scandal. I would bet that at least half the population now think that Watergate was a scandal about water.

I've lived through "Iran-Contra gate," "Nannygate" (anybody remember Zoe Baird?), "Deflategate," "Bridgegate," and "Travelgate."  Now I see that Trump's taped conversation with Billy Bush is being called "(word for small kitten)gate."

• Like 5

As long as I'm venting my spleen here, I am so fed up with people using the word "gate" after every scandal. I would bet that at least half the population now think that Watergate was a scandal about water.

I've lived through "Iran-Contra gate," "Nannygate" (anybody remember Zoe Baird?), "Deflategate," "Bridgegate," and "Travelgate."  Now I see that Trump's taped conversation with Billy Bush is being called "(word for small kitten)gate."

And don't forget Koreagate, Whitewatergate, Monicagate and Servergate!

Donny is correct. It is McCarthyism...on his part. Accusing

Obama of something without the least bit of reliable evidence.

Typical Joe. Something bad did happened to Parnell. He spent

time in the clink on a corruption charge and met up with two of

the Hollywood Ten who were there. He also took the Fifth at

his trial. The guy who jumped over the WH fence--Gategate.
  • Like 1

The NSA is surveilling everybody. Why should anybody think that Trump is immune from this?

(And as I've said in other threads, Leni Riefenstahl shouldn't have been blacklisted either.)

• Like 1

Have you ever noticed how pop culture has forgotten the real initials HCUAA (House Committee on UnAmerican Activities), in favor of  the folk singer's "HUAC"?  Sorry, can't think of his name this minute.

Okay then there needs to be a Btchgate or Threadgate.  Maybe just a Gategate, to end all gates. 

• Like 1

A NEW MCCARTHYISM IN HOLLYWOOD?

No, it's the old Trotskyism.  Just like Trump isn't the new conservatism, just the old fascism. 

Pete Seeger? One of the Weavers?

Yep, that's him.  I was pressed for time earlier.  A casual look on the Internet could be misleading.  Now that I think about it, it probably depends on which search engine I use.  It is in there, but you just need to know to look for it.  I first learned about that from one of my film books.

Hollywood has been blacklisting conservatives for years, meanwhile they make money off of guns and outsourcing jobs.

Hollywood has been blacklisting conservatives for years, meanwhile they make money off of guns and outsourcing jobs.

Once again dude, that's a whole lot o' BS here.

Take for instance THIS idiot who HERE...

1408719730249_Image_galleryImage_Mandato

...WHO, as you may recall once was STUPID enough to ride his motorcycle withOUT wearin' a brain bucket and who subsequently would suffer a pretty bad cranial fracture when he crashed it, has been workin' pretty damn steady in the ol' Biz of late!

Don't believe me, dude?! Well then, take a freakin' moment and check out his IMDb page's filmography, and I'm pretty sure you'll find that the idiot pictured above is STILL makin' a living as an actor.

And HE'S just one of the MANY celebs gainfully employed in The Biz today who SOMEHOW believe that the present Man-Child-in-Chief is going to make "America great again".

(...in FACT, the above pictured idiot JUST might be the freakin' POSTER CHILD for people who somehow believe this!)

LOL

• Like 4

I have been mulling over in my brain for many minutes what "Hollywood makes money off of guns" could possibly mean. Terribly confusing sentence. I guess you mean movies in which lots of guns are being fired tend to be profitable? Surely you're not suggesting Hollywood is in the arms dealing business ...

OK Darg.....

Looking for a word for when people flood the Twitter space every chance they get?

Well, I've long called the PEOPLE who use it a lot "Twits".  But as for what to call it WHEN they use it?

Ach.  Since the little symbol used for the service is a silhouette of a BIRD, and given the QUALITY of what it is they "tweet", how about calling it ....

"OFFALIZING"?  ;)

Sepiatone

Are you talking about John Wayne- John Ford western movies?

They always had a lot of guns in those western movies.

Then for guns and outsourcing jobs--would you be talking about those

Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Westerns, shot with those Italian crews in Italy?