kjrwe

How to Marry a Millionaire (1953)

6 posts in this topic

I've seen this film many times. It's a fun romantic comedy about three women who are determined to marry rich men, and they come up with a plot to meet these rich men. Great cast, too!

• Like 2

I've seen this film many times. It's a fun romantic comedy about three women who are determined to marry rich men, and they come up with a plot to meet these rich men. Great cast, too!

It's barely written and yet it's quite entertaining - I attribute that success to its' director, Jean Negulesco.

• Like 1

It's barely written and yet it's quite entertaining - I attribute that success to its' director, Jean Negulesco.

I'm not sure whether barely written is meant as underwritten or sparely written (or something else), but I think Nunnally Johnson's script is part of the film's success. Johnson was one of the top go-to script doctors of the day when storyline and dialogue needed punching up. The dialogue in "Millionaire" seems to me to be deftly tailored to each of the three leads, particularly in the case of Lauren Bacall's acid wit. I still use her line when she dismisses the repo guy who says he wishes he could give her more for the furniture (while presumably lowballing her): "I already laughed at that one today." It was generally acknowledged that the movie was to mark Betty Grable's passing the baton to Marilyn and the fact that it was achieved so gracefully and that both of these ladies were celebrated in their own unique way is as much attributable to Nunnally Johnson as to Jean Negulesco. Love this film. It's been a sure-fire way to improve any bad mood I've ever been in.

• Like 2

I'm surprised that Lauren Bacall's character didn't catch on sooner that the "gas pump jockey" was a rich guy. How else would he have been able to get a special showing of the clothes which the ladies were modeling? To do this, he had to have some money/status in society.

This, along with GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, are a great introduction for kids to Marilyn Monroe, and even "classic" movies. So many kids wear MM images on t-shirts, but have zero idea who she was! I've shown these movies to teens who absolutely love the story & "look" of the sets & charactors.

I like how this movie illustrates different types of women, not all women of the time period were shrinking violets like many would have you believe. But they all had to "play the game"

These fun, easy going stories appeal to teens and even opens an opportunity to discuss social mores of earlier generations uh, history.

For those smitten with MM, I often show SOME LIKE IT HOT next to introduce them to Billy Wilder, then switch gears with NIAGARA, since kids enjoy suspense.

This, along with GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, are a great introduction for kids to Marilyn Monroe, and even "classic" movies. So many kids wear MM images on t-shirts, but have zero idea who she was! I've shown these movies to teens who absolutely love the story & "look" of the sets & charactors.

She was also great in a small part in The Asphalt Jungle.

I have never seen her image on any T-shirt!