Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

colorized: the murdered artform

93 posts in this topic

Oh not much, outside of original intent and design.

On a technical level, the tinting of silents is still monochromatic.  It goes from shades of gray to shades of gray tinted with sepia.  So there is no real comparison to color there.

but I've seen blue and red in the silents.

Oh not much, outside of original intent and design.

On a technical level, the tinting of silents is still monochromatic.  It goes from shades of gray to shades of gray tinted with sepia. 

HEY!  I had NOTHING TO DO with it!

Sepiatone

What about lobby cards? Are those the true colors of the films they advertised?

Definitely not. All are artificially colored, sometimes grotesquely so depending on what studio or contract company (eg. National Screen Service). And yet they have been used as source material for set and costume colorization. Ugh.

• Like 2

I will never concede my argument for colorizing until the day tcm shows the colorized prints of Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House and Chain Lightning.

that is the challenge! :)

Definitely not. All are artificially colored, sometimes grotesquely so depending on what studio or contract company (eg. National Screen Service). And yet they have been used as source material for set and costume colorization. Ugh.

Is that what happened to Way Out West? What an abomination.

while watching stephen colbert last nite there was a commercial for a new colorized I Love Lucy special this friday.

I Love Lucy is of course very popular and CBS must think colorizing has value to be enhancing such an old show.

just because tcm is poor in colorizing advocate posters does not disprove my position at all.

I do believe if tcm showed the colorized prints of Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House and Chain Lightning, many viewers would be won over.

I think someone should start a thread to urge tcm to show them by an overwhelming expression of public demand.

if some of you have not seen the aforementioned colorized films as I have then it is biased to dismiss me and my argument.

I think someone should start a thread to urge tcm to show them by an overwhelming expression of public demand.

One hundred posters is not the same "demand" as one autistically obsessed poster posting it a hundred times while everyone else doesn't.  Please learn the difference.

(And yes, watched some of Sony's Stooges and Harryhausen late-00's colorizations via Legend Films, back when everyone was first afraid of putting B/W movies on Blu-ray, and we've come a long way since the pastel salmon-and-green 80's of Way Out West and IAWL--But We Don't Do That 'Round Here, and that's in the manifesto.  

Next K-mart/People's Court/Who's On First? discussion.)

One hundred posters is not the same "demand" as one autistically obsessed poster posting it a hundred times while everyone else doesn't.  Please learn the difference.

(And yes, watched some of Sony's Stooges and Harryhausen late-00's colorizations via Legend Films, back when everyone was first afraid of putting B/W movies on Blu-ray, and we've come a long way since the pastel salmon-and-green 80's of Way Out West and IAWL--But We Don't Do That 'Round Here, and that's in the manifesto.  

Next K-mart/People's Court/Who's On First? discussion.)

but tcm is clearly wrong and cowardly to refrain from showing colorized films especially as they had done so previously with both king kong and the thing.

"why?" -howard roark

"because everyone has already accepted them."

"I haven't." -howard roark

:P

I stand with cooper's howard roark. :)

black & white only = greek architecture without change

colorizing = a pleasing visual enhancement

but tcm is clearly wrong and cowardly to refrain from showing colorized films especially as they had done so previously with both king kong and the thing.

"why?" -howard roark

"because everyone has already accepted them."

"I haven't." -howard roark

:P

I stand with cooper's howard roark. :)

black & white only = greek architecture without change

colorizing = a pleasing visual enhancement

you cannot know that every great director and filmmaker of hollywood's past would have objected to colorizing.

look at star trek. those original episodes were enhanced by new cgi effects. I like it, who doesn't?

I have seen films badly colorized but most looked better to me.

tcm abdicates itself on the issue by merely surrendering to complacent public disinterest about this process...

CBS hasn't! a new colorized I Love Lucy special tomorrow nite. :)

I will never concede my argument for colorizing until the day tcm shows the colorized prints of Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House and Chain Lightning.

that is the challenge! :)

And I'LL still insist that to make things fair and on an even keel they should also DEcolorize color movies and show THEM in Black and White!  ;)

It can be done.  And without much effort.  There is a method for proccessing color negatives to achieve a black and white print.  MUCH cheaper and EASIER than colorizing black and white film.  :)

Imagine how much more "classic" THE GODFATHER would look in glorious BLACK& WHITE!   :D

Sepiatone

doan miss that colorized I Love Lucy special tonite on CBS.

lucy matching wits with Harpo Marx colorized. :)

doan miss that colorized I Love Lucy special tonite on CBS.

lucy matching wits with Harpo Marx colorized. :)

The purists will say we'll go blind for watching this.

• Like 1

And I'LL still insist that to make things fair and on an even keel they should also DEcolorize color movies and show THEM in Black and White!  ;)

And now, to ruin the joke, :( I'll just bring up how George Miller's "Chrome Edition" of converting Mad Max:Fury Road to a special B/W screening--because it's grittier!--without the actual light-and-shadow contrasting that made 40's noir so memorable, has now started a "craze" for every other studio with a hardcore-fan favorite to try and release it in B/W, for more fanboy money.  Next up, Fox with "Logan".

(While we wait for someone to realize that if you want some new-generation fantasy of "Gritty B/W" without ever having actually seen any, you can just buy the disk and turn down the color on your set.

Which is....pretty much what 80's-colorization supporters used to say when purists complained then, and it didn't work then either.)

And now, to ruin the joke, :( I'll just bring up how George Miller's "Chrome Edition" of converting Mad Max:Fury Road to a special B/W screening--because it's grittier!--without the actual light-and-shadow contrasting that made 40's noir so memorable, has now started a "craze" for every other studio with a hardcore-fan favorite to try and release it in B/W, for more fanboy money.  Next up, Fox with "Logan".

(While we wait for someone to realize that if you want some new-generation fantasy of "Gritty B/W" without ever having actually seen any, you can just buy the disk and turn down the color on your set.

Which is....pretty much what 80's-colorization supporters used to say when purists complained then, and it didn't work then either.)

Reminds me of the Star Trek episode where the host cooks the travelers a banquet of "earth food", but completely misses out on the flavor.  I think McCoy called their imitation of earth food "Form without substance."

Anybody 'round here see Frank Miller's SIN CITY/SIN CITY 2 ??

While they're obviously not colorized versions of old B&W movies,I do like the way they use B&W with color dribbled in here and there.

Loved all those beautiful prostitutes with their vivid green or blue eyes while the entire background is in B&W...

Lotsa other color spots too,the senators evil,child molesting and cannibalistic son is an example,horrid sickly looking yellow,Can't remember exactly where else they added spots of color.I gotta watch them again soon.I like gritty movies and these are two of the grittiest movies i've ever seen.They're fun to watch with a few drinks under my belt.   :)

I've seen "Sin City" several times, though it's been a while.  I've also seen the sequel "Sin City: A Dame To Kill For".  Cool odd films, quite moody and unique.  Entertaining and stylistic.  Frank Miller came up with some interesting stories back then.

Good casting on these movies, a large cast.  Bruce Willis and Mickey Rourke.  As far as the ladies went, hard to ignore Jessica Alba and Rosario Dawson.  And wow Brittany Murphy just a few years before she passed away.

• Like 1

Turning down the color on your set isn't really the same as reproccessing color negatives to B & W prints. 

Sepiatone