Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

CALIFORNIA NEWS

213 posts in this topic

Well, the whole place WAS supposed to fall into the sea 50 years ago, so...........  ;)

I also think it's funny that some righties take to calling liberals "elitist" when indeed, the most "elitist" population of this country are those wealth hoarding 1% who usually contribute big and vote republican. 

Sepiatone

doan forget the simple rustic folk of brentwood, mulholland and beverly hills. :lol:

The Democrats won't allow the income producing parts of the state to be split away so they have to account for their spending. They would be bankrupt pretty quickly.

MM, your "income producing parts of the state" statement above is such a vague statement that it makes it invalid.

You see and as I'm sure you know, besides the thought that if one considers California's economy separate from the rest of this country it would rank 7th among the industrialized nations of this world, its economy is also so diverse that depending upon the particular industry we might wish to examine separately from the rest within that state, and such as Farming, High Tech, Aerospace, Entertainment, Tourist and a whole host of others, each of these industries are based throughout California's present borders.

And so, to define one particular logistical part of that state as "the income producing part" of it would be quite the misnomer.

And re that whole idea that because the Man-Child Donny was elected as POTUS, that this seems to give any credence to the small percentage of Californians who support such a proposition, is as, well, DUMB*** an idea as the one which a few years back was posited that when Obama was elected a majority of Texans were in favor of seceding from this Union. In both cases all you had and have is a small minority of people ticked off enough to mouth asinine "solutions" for the alleviation of their bitterness.

(...but you know how it is...big blowhards now days have found they have an easier time of it gaining the

Press' ear...but then again, I don't have to tell YOU how and the means to which that Man-Child got elected, now do I?!) ;)

LOL

• Like 1

but then again, I don't have to tell YOU how and the means to which that Man-Child got elected, now do I?!) 

The man-child got elected because Barack Obama did absolutely nothing with his 8 years and then recommended Hillary Clinton be his successor.

Most people know what Clintonian neoliberalism has to offer now.

Nothing.

Bernie was supposed to be President now - he's what was needed. Because he was shunted off to the margins by the DNC and its Corporate Media, we got Trump as the alternative to Hillary the horrible.

California: Worst State in Nation for Infrastructure Spending

With California in desperate need of emergency infrastructure spending to repair its crumbling dams and flood control infrastructure, the Los Angeles Times reported that Gov. Jerry Brown submitted a $100-billion infrastructure wish list to the Trump Administration.

BREITBART >> http://www.breitbart.com/california/2017/03/26/california-awarded-the-worst-state-in-nation-for-infrastructure-spending/

mv5a_f-maxage-0.gif

Guess the logic is why invest, another earthquake will simply knock it all down.  Aren't they overdue for "The Big One"?   I will never understand the logic of living on a major earthquake fault  (the fault in human logic??)

California need to change it's motto from Eureka to Shake Rattle and Roll. :D 

5572599846_089284edef_o-1469026247-4135.

Guess the logic is why, another earthquake will simply knock it all down.  Aren't they overdue for "The Big One"?  I will never understand the logic of living on a major earthquake fault  (the fault in human logic??) :wacko:

5572599846_089284edef_o-1469026247-4135.

Charleston SC is on a fault as well and long overdue for its big one.  Had a big one in the 19th Century that led to massive fires.

• Like 1

Charleston SC is on a fault as well and long overdue for its big one.  Had a big one in the 19th Century that led to massive fires.

One can obviously SEE the major faults.

CurbsTwoWEB.jpg

Dsc00022+Closeup+offset+curb.jpg

Guess the logic is why invest, another earthquake will simply knock it all down.  Aren't they overdue for "The Big One"?   I will never understand the logic of living on a major earthquake fault  (the fault in human logic??)

This kind of thought always reminds this native Angeleno of all those times Northwest Airlines would annually send all us supervisors throughout the company to their then headquarters located in Minneapolis for our recurrent training seminars...IN THE FREAKIN' DEAD OF WINTER...JANUARY!!!

And during those seminars, I'd occasionally ask some of the local born and bred MSP employees how in the hell could they live in this freakin' frozen tundra of a location.

Very often their reply would be that THEY couldn't understand how I could live in a location where earthquakes are so common, and THIS dear ham was always my reply to those people...

"Okay, dude, lemme get this straight here! What you're trying to say is that you're correlating THIS freakin' inhospitable weather that YOU guys get EVERY freakin' year for almost HALF the freakin' year with the TWO major earthquakes I'VE experienced in MY lifetime, the '71 Sylmar Quake and the '94 Northridge Quake, both of those a 7.0 on the ol' Richter Scale and which, yes, put a few minor little cracks on the drywall of the houses I lived in at those times AND which lasted ALL of about 90 seconds each AND were 23 years apart over these same years that YOU'VE lived HERE, are YA?! Sorry dude, but there's NO comparison to be drawn here...doncha know, oh you betcha!"

(...and then when I'd ask 'em what the hell they did during all this inclement weather and some of 'em would say they liked to go "ice fishing", I'd ask 'em if THAT isn't just a "sport" with the primary purpose of just sittin' around in some hut and getting drunk?...gotta admit though that their walleye is some pretty good eatin')  

This kind of thought always reminds this native Angeleno of all those times Northwest Airlines would annually send all us supervisors throughout the company to their then headquarters located in Minneapolis for our recurrent training seminars...IN THE FREAKIN' DEAD OF WINTER...JANUARY!!!

And during those seminars, I'd occasionally ask some of the local born and bred MSP employees how in the hell could they live in this freakin' frozen tundra of a location.

Very often their reply would be that THEY couldn't understand how I could live in a location where earthquakes are so common, and THIS dear ham was always my reply to those people...

"Okay, dude, lemme get this straight here! What you're trying to say is that you're correlating THIS freakin' inhospitable weather that YOU guys get EVERY freakin' year for almost HALF the freakin' year with the TWO major earthquakes I'VE experienced in MY lifetime, the '71 Sylmar Quake and the '94 Northridge Quake, both of those a 7.0 on the ol' Richter Scale and which, yes, put a few minor little cracks on the drywall of the houses I lived in at those times AND which lasted ALL of about 90 seconds each AND were 23 years apart over these same years that YOU'VE lived HERE, are YA?! Sorry dude, but there's NO comparison to be drawn here...doncha know, oh you betcha!"

(...and then when I'd ask 'em what the hell they did during all this inclement weather and some of 'em would say they liked to go "ice fishing", I'd ask 'em if THAT isn't just a "sport" with the primary purpose of just sittin' around in some hut and getting drunk?...gotta admit though that their walleye is some pretty good eatin')  

LOL. That's like asking people why they live on the shore in hurricane zones. It's not like it happens every day, 6 months out of every year. Awful if it DOES happen, but you live with the odds........

LOL. That's like asking people why they live on the shore in hurricane zones. It's not like it happens every day, 6 months out of every year. Awful if it DOES happen, but you live with the odds........

Every place has something: hurricanes, tornadoes, droughts, floods, earthquakes, volcanoes, wildfires, blizzards, persistent rainfall, people from New Jersey...you just have to weigh the pros and the cons and decide what you can deal with. Some people can't handle the mental stress of worrying about quakes or hurricanes, even if they are sporadic and generally unlikely. Others can't stand the certainty of freezing their cojones off every winter. And still others can't imagine waking up in Philly or Detroit. 

• Like 2

Every place has something: hurricanes, tornadoes, droughts, floods, earthquakes, volcanoes, wildfires, blizzards, persistent rainfall, people from New Jersey...you just have to weigh the pros and the cons and decide what you can deal with. Some people can't handle the mental stress of worrying about quakes or hurricanes, even if they are sporadic and generally unlikely. Others can't stand the certainty of freezing their cojones off every winter. And still others can't imagine waking up in Philly or Detroit. 

Yeah, but I DO hear the spin classes in that first town you mentioned are at least first rate, Lawrence.

(...haven't heard anything about those in the Motor City, though)

Yeah, but I DO hear the spin classes in that first town you mentioned are at least first rate, Lawrence.

(...haven't heard anything about those in the Motor City, though)

I understand that they both have good tunes, too. (Maybe I should have used a winking emoji to convey my jokey intent. I've been to Philly and it's a perfectly fine city. I've never been to Detroit, though. I'm not that crazy.)  :P

Agree.

I understand that they both have good tunes, too. (Maybe I should have used a winking emoji to convey my jokey intent. I've been to Philly and it's a perfectly fine city. I've never been to Detroit, though. I'm not that crazy.)  :P

The last time I was in Detroit(and not just changing planes in DTW) was probably a decade and a half ago, and during a time the Los Angeles Auto Show was run the same week as the much more impressively staged Detroit Auto Show. The wife and I decided to fly to DTW to finally experience the one there. "Gearhead" here, remember.

As you may know, Greektown is located very near the Cobo Center and where the auto show is annually staged, and I must say we had a pretty good time walking around that location, too.

And so maybe The Motor City isn't as fearful a place as you might think.

(...and even though THIS time I knew you were being cheeky in your above reply) ;)

I wouldn't trade where I live for anything.  Earthquakes are so small, they're barely noticeable and VERY RARE!  Live high enough so not to worry about flooding.  Low enough and within a sheltered areas so not to be concerned about high winds - the strongest max gust I've ever recorded was 82 mph and that was 10 years ago due to a deracho (never had a tornado)  also no concerns about lightning.  We have dry spells but no droughts in the normal sense.  Far enough inland so hurricanes are not an issue, only regular thunderstorms associated with them and if a large rock landed on the ocean or a Canary Island mega landslide in the Atlantic, no concerns about a mega tsunamis.  Like the scene in "Deep Impact" where the government of Washington DC was evacuated to the SAFETY of the Appalachians.

What's the expression..it's  Location, location, location. :D

• Like 1

I wouldn't trade where I live for anything.  Earthquakes are so small, they're barely noticeable and VERY RARE!  Live high enough so not to worry about flooding.  Low enough and within a sheltered areas so not to be concerned about high winds - the strongest max gust I've ever recorded was 82 mph and that was 10 years ago due to a deracho (never had a tornado)  also no concerns about lightning.  We have dry spells but no droughts in the normal sense.  Far enough inland so hurricanes are not an issue, only regular thunderstorms associated with them and if a large rock landed on the ocean or a Canary Island mega landslide in the Atlantic, no concerns about a mega tsunamis.  Like the scene in "Deep Impact" where the government of Washington DC was evacuated to the SAFETY of the Appalachians.

Where I am in North Florida, we avoid most of the natural perils, as well. We have occasional droughts, but nothing so serious as to declare emergencies, just some browning of the lawn for a week. We get wildfires, but outside of town, so while we have the annoyance of smoke and falling ash, we don't actually have to worry about homes burning. And even those fires are once every 5 years at most. We seem to be in the sweet spot for avoiding hurricanes, as they seem to bypass this part of the state, and even if they hit, as they did twice in '04, they're drained of much of their strength, and we only got a lot of rain. We also rarely have tornadoes. We have sporadic flooding, but only in a few very low-lying areas, and again infrequently. We also have no earthquakes or blizzards (or snow at all).

The only natural problem we have is lightning. I've never personally had problems with it, but I know a few people who've replaced TV's from it, and one guy I knew was hit 3 times!

Hmmm...I think the only thing you forgot to mention here ham is all the cheap and convenient electricity you have at your disposal for all those electronic gadgets you have, TOO!

;)

...The only natural problem we have is lightning. I've never personally had problems with it, but I know a few people who've replaced TV's from it, and one guy I knew was hit 3 times!

OH! So ya say Joe Btfsplk here is from YOUR neck o' the woods, do ya Lawrence?!...

joebtfsplk_1.jpg

(...poor guy just could never get a break, could he!) ;)

Hmmm...I think the only thing you forgot to mention here ham is all the cheap and convenient electricity you have at your disposal for all those electronic gadgets you have, TOO!

;)

Can thank coal and gas for it. :)

I bet you have to put up with the constant head explosions from the electric bills.  

Might explain why Alaska is warmer...heat from red hot tempers.

:oei_electricityratesmap4.5.16.jpg?itok=DD

I bet you have to put up with the constant head explosions from the electric bills.  

Actually in my case ham, the answer would be "no", and even though that map shows the state of Arizona's electricity rates higher than the national norm.

Ya see, first, I don't have a whole lot o' those electronic gadgets to run like you do. My interests when it comes to "things" and as I'm sure you know by now, are in cars and motorcycles, and THEY run on gasoline of course.

And secondly, and unlike those poor souls who live down in that concrete urban sprawl of Phoenix and where they must run their air conditioning units 24/7 during the summer months because even in the dead of night it seldom gets below 80 freakin' degrees, we UP HERE in the higher elevation of beautiful picturesque Sedona ONLY have run those suckers during the daylight hours and because after the suns sets it'll almost always drops to a very pleasant 65-70 degrees during that time of year, and thus we just open our windows and allow the outside ambient temperature into the house while we watch evening television shows and later hit the ol' sack.

And so, no, MY electrical bills would not be accurately reflected in that map o' yours.

(...oh, and one more thing here dude...I also don't have to put up with all that damn humid weather you poor souls who live east of the Rocky Mountains have to put up with during this same time o' year...yep, life is good here in beautiful picturesque Sedona Arizona alright!)

If I remember correctly, it's in the northern part of West Virginia.

I won't be specific, only it's in the eastern part of West Virginia.

• Like 1

I won't be specific, only it's in the eastern part of West Virginia.

So, kind'a like if they break up my old stompin' grounds, I could then say I used to live in the western part of South California, eh ham?!

(...OR, if Jake's theory eventually comes true, I'd then say I used to live in the southern part of Coastal California, right?!)

;)

So, kind'a like if they break up my old stompin' grounds, I could then say I used to live in the western part of South California, eh ham?!

(...OR, if Jake's theory eventually comes true, I'd then say I used to live in the southern part of Coastal California, right?!)

;)

There's always been a great rivalry between LA and SF. Nothing exhibits this more than this......I was in SF once, when two great looking females walked by a hotel entrance. I overheard one hotel employee say to another, "Who says we don't have the women?"