Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

CALIFORNIA NEWS

213 posts in this topic

There's always been a great rivalry between LA and SF. Nothing exhibits this more than this......I was in SF once, when two great looking females walked by a hotel entrance. I overheard one hotel employee say to another, "Who says we don't have the women?"

Well, ya know DGF, it's been said that if you happen to be a straight male, Frisco is a place to live because your competition in the dating arena is stacked in your favor!

(...yeah, that's right...this ol' native Angeleno here still occasionally calls that beautiful city, perhaps THE most beautiful city in these United States, "Frisco", and JUST to get a rise out of some of those pretentious San Franciscans with their upturned noses in their damp SF air...'cause they HATE when ya call their city that now days, ya know!) ;)

Well, ya know DGF, it's been said that if you happen to be a straight male, Frisco is a place to live because your competition in the dating arena is stacked in your favor!

(...yeah, that's right...this ol' native Angeleno here still occasionally calls that beautiful city, perhaps THE most beautiful city in these United States, "Frisco", and JUST to get a rise out of some of those pretentious San Franciscans with their upturned noses in their damp SF air...'cause they HATE when ya call their city that now days, ya know!) ;)

I wanted to move there at one point, but it never worked out.

I wanted to move there at one point, but it never worked out.

Before relocating to L.A. with the airlines and before I met her, my wife(who was born in your neck of woods back there, but at 5 years of age moved to San Diego) worked in Frisco, ahem, I mean San Francisco for about 5 years.

She loves Frisco, ahem, I mean San Francisco, and every time we go there, which isn't often, I can see why.

(...btw, just considering the climate, you Philly boy you would've fit right into the place...ever heard Mark Twain's famous line about the place: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco", ?)

Before relocating to L.A. with the airlines and before I met her, my wife(who was born in your neck of woods back there, but at 5 years of age moved to San Diego) worked in Frisco, ahem, I mean San Francisco for about 5 years.

She loves Frisco, ahem, I mean San Francisco, and every time we go there, which isn't often, I can see why.

(...btw, just considering the climate, you Philly boy you would've fit right into the place...ever heard Mark Twain's famous line about the place: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco", ?)

There were great clubs in the South of Market area, circa 1990.

There were great clubs in the South of Market area, circa 1990.

The last time we were there(for her gay niece's wedding about 12 years ago) my wife and I walked around the Tenderloin area one night and found a classic old style piano bar. We had a great time singing along with the piano player and the rest of the crowd there.

(...and yes, he played that Billy Joel song twice while we were there...a fun and memorable night it was) 

I won't be specific, only it's in the eastern part of West Virginia.

I remember how when I watched the Waltons, I had to remind myself they were supposedly in western Virginia and not West Virginia.

Eastern West Virginia - the land Robert Byrd built?

I remember how when I watched the Waltons, I had to remind myself they were supposedly in western Virginia and not West Virginia.

Robert Byrd is highly respected in West Virginia, which came first for him in Washington.

A lot named in his honor.

higher-University-of-Charleston-1024x654

Trivia, the RCB Telescope was the FIRST to receive the feeble signal from the Huygen's probe directly confirming it landed on Saturn's moon Titan.

gbt.jpg

He was very concerned about the unraveling of our liberties started by the Bush administration after 9/11.

517G2W4GA8L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Robert Byrd is highly respected in West Virginia, which came first for him in Washington.

higher-University-of-Charleston-1024x654

Trivia, the RCB Telescope was the FIRST to receive the feeble signal from the Huygen's probe directly confirming it landed on Saturn's moon Titan.

gbt.jpg

He was very concerned about the unraveling of our liberties started by the Bush administration after 9/11.

517G2W4GA8L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I thought you meant that there was a Robert A. Byrd Vacant Lot.

Byrd is WV equivalent of Strom Thurmond in SC.  Also Rep. Mendell Rivers of Charleston, S.C. in the House.  One person quipped during Rivers' tenure that if he put one more federal facility in Charleston, it would sink.

Between Thurmond and Rivers, tremendous number of federal facilities built in S.C., most of them military.  Military facilities have some of the highest financial impact on an area.  Not only is there the pay and benefits of the military personnel and civilian employees, there are also the many lucarative contracts, off post housing and entertainment, shopping, etc.

At one time, Charleston had two Navy bases, one Army facility, a Coast Guard Base and an Air Force Base that I know about.  The Marines were down the coast in Beaufort.  There were two other Air Force Bases and a major Army Base elsewhere in the state.  Not to mention one of the largest per capita National Guards and Reserve Components in the nation.

Seems I heard something like this before......

"...Then I want Eastern portion of his WESTERN sandwich!"  (The First Family--"Economy Lunch"  1962)  :P

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Survival Rules for Pro-Trump Californians Living Behind the Blue Curtain

But the obstacles facing California’s Trump supporters, conservatives, or just anyone opposed to the Democratic agenda are no joke. While the rest of the nation can look forward to the rollback of all the excesses and abuses of the Obama years, California’s one-party machine is doubling down on all those disastrous policies, including continued harboring and supporting of illegal immigration, out-of-control environmental regulations, and more onerous tax increases.

But know this: There are a lot of us out here in the once glorious Golden State. It’s just that most of us are hiding in plain sight.

BREITBART >> http://www.breitbart.com/california/2017/04/01/surviving-one-party-rule-in-deep-blue-california/

giphy.gif

What this country really needs are survival rules for all Americans who are not millionaires.

While Trump is President, He will only cater to millionaires and if you're not one look at!

Trump-- the billionaire president for billionaires and millionaires only.

C9mYFQeXsAAVn_E.jpg

Aww, c'mon - Springfield, U.S.A  is supposed to be the next State!

Stupid Californians can't get anything right.

There have been fits and starts over the years toward making Puerto Rico the 51st state.

QqX7ED73_bigger.png

The Daily Wire‏Verified account @realDailyWire 24h24 hours ago

You'll Never Guess Which Left-Wing State Has 6 of the 10 Worst Polluted Cities In America http://dld.bz/fCGUV  @NolteNC

C-BvJpsVoAAOFKP.jpg

Yeah, well, cram as many people into YOUR so-called "god's country" backwater little neck of the woods, Jake ol' boy, and see how the air quality would be.

And speaking of which...IF it wasn't for that "Left Wing state" taking the lead and being the FIRST state to enact strict governmental standards on vehicle emissions in this country, the air quality due to both the weather conditions and the topography of the region would be MUCH worse than it is now days.

Trust me here, you good ol' boy you...I remember as a kid growing up there when "smog alerts" were MUCH more frequent than they are today, AND when there was probably less than one-FIFTH the vehicles roaming the streets and freeways of California as there are today.

(...and so, once again I've now debunked another one of your little agenda-driven and infused comments...you good ol' backwater boy you)

Yeah, well, cram as many people into YOUR so-called "god's country" backwater little neck of the woods, Jake ol' boy, and see how the air quality would be.

And speaking of which...IF it wasn't for that "Left Wing state" taking the lead and being the FIRST state to enact strict governmental standards on vehicle emissions in this country, the air quality due to both the weather conditions and the topography of the region would be MUCH worse than it is now days.

Trust me here, you good ol' boy you...I remember as a kid growing up there when "smog alerts" were MUCH more frequent than they are today, AND when there was probably less than one-FIFTH the vehicles roaming the streets and freeways of California as there are today.

(...and so, once again I've now debunked another one of your little agenda-induced and infused comments...you good ol' backwater boy you)

Yeah, but you & your family decided to leave the Golden State?

Yeah, but isn't true you & your family decided to leave the Golden State?

Yep, and as I've told you a NUMBER of times over the years NOT because of it being "left wing",  but PRIMARILY because I got tired of fighting the crowds and traffic caused by the massive influx of people streaming to one of the most desirable areas in the world to live and work, and due to that state's pleasant weather and abundant job opportunities. And thus, the very reason housing prices are once again sky-high there, compared to your little backwater neck of the woods.

That ol' "Supply and Demand" principle in play here, ya see.

AND, once one gets to their retirement age, finding a nice smaller and quieter and slower paced location to retire to, and regardless IF that location happens to be within a so-called "red" or "blue" state, is something MANY people throughOUT this country tend to do, IF they're lucky enough to have the financial resources to do it.

(...like I had/have)