kjrwe

Favorite Charlie Chan films

10 posts in this topic

So what are your favorite Charlie Chan films?

Mine are:

The Black Camel (1931)

Eran Trece (1931): based on the novel Charlie Chan Carries On

I love them all, really, especially the ones with Mantan Moreland.

I love CHARLIE CHAN IN HONOLULU because we get to see all his children in his home, and all of the décor is chintz with Chinese motifs.

BUT- the funniest, best, most glamorous, and interesting is CHARLIE CHAN IN RENO.

Warner Oland - CHARLIE CHAN AT THE OPERA

Sidney Toler - CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

The best combination for me would have been Oland in Charlie Chan at Treasure Island

• Like 1

I pretty much love them all too. One of my favorite scenes, I think it CC in Paris, #1 son says, "Gee, Pop, I sure miss the radio." I don't know why that has struck me as being so funny, but it cracks me up every time.

I pretty much love them all too. One of my favorite scenes, I think it CC in Paris, #1 son says, "Gee, Pop, I sure miss the radio." I don't know why that has struck me as being so funny, but it cracks me up every time.

Charlie Chan had a great and funny relationship with his sons, and also with that sidekick of his (forget the name now).

Recently I watched Charlie Chan in London (first time in several years), and I really enjoyed it. Nice, old-fashioned mystery set in London. Made me think of Agatha Christie mysteries from that time period. If only more of the Agatha Christie mysteries had been filmed in the thirties, shortly after the novels were published!

I plan on watching the entire series these next couple of weeks. If I have any very specific thoughts about any of the films, I'll post them here. 

It's been about 3 years since I've seen most of the films. High time I saw them again!

Recently I watched Charlie Chan at the Opera. I was quite moved by this story (I am, each time I watch this). I adore Boris Karloff.

Also, I have never been able to get through Charlie Chan at the Circus. This time around was no exception.

Two other faves to add to my list:

Charlie Chan in Paris

Charlie Chan in Shanghai

These two were very well done, and well paced!

Two of the later films are based on the novels:

1. Charlie Chan's Murder Cruise (based on Charlie Chan Carries On)

2. Charlie Chan in Rio (based on The Black Camel)

Both are good films, but not as good as earlier versions of the stories (Eran Trece, The Black Camel).

If only the lost film Charlie Chan Carries On would turn up somewhere! In the meantime, at least the Spanish language film (Eran Trece) still exists.