spence

Your favorite film genre???

23 posts in this topic

Already posted this on tcm's great companion pc on FB (TCM Fanatics)

& film 'noir is leading by quit a bit at present   It's

approx (#15th poll I started on there to date)

& BEWARE: There's another tcm companion page, but it pales in comparion (tcm fan site)

So I thought it would be more fun if all you TCM-ITES voted for your fav. genre

A Mr. John Ball runs this superior site

As for me I've always love Classic/Golden/Age Comedy: Chaplin, Keaton, 3 Stooges, W.C. Fields, Stan & 0llie & so on, plus the screwball comedies

& of course A & C though I love their early 1950's tv show the best

THANX :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

I think I would love to be a script girl or something of that nature at Universal Studios around the early 40's. I can imagine sitting in a director style type chair, holding a shooting script in hand and watching somebody like Claude Rains or maybe Abbott & Costello and feeding them their forgotten lines.

My favs are Film Noir and noir-ish movies,Mysteries of all kinds,(the darker the movie and the lower,cheaper and more sinister the characters are,the more i like it),Crime and Horror.

I say we put a pre-emptive six week ban on any instance of spence using the letter X where the letter K is considered correct.

While this will not cure the clarity problem with his many of his interconnected poll-chummy threads, it may be a bit of a temporary band-aid, methinx.

• Like 1

Horror/SF, Film Noir, Mysteries/Crime, Drama, Comedy.  Not a big musical fan but I enjoy some of them, especially RKO Fred & Ginger which incorporate humor, great songs and wonderful dancing.

What genre strikes my fancy the most all depends on the mood I'm in.

Since I'm never always in the same mood, I never have a consistent "favorite".

But, with gun to my head, I suppose comedy would be a consideration.  But of course, it depends what MOOD I'm in when the gun gets pointed.  :)

Sepiatone 

• Like 1

Don't really have a favorite.  I know my least favorite is comedy, and I hate almost every sci-fi film that takes place in outer space, but otherwise, I like something from all genres.

Don't really have a favorite.  I know my least favorite is comedy, and I hate almost every sci-fi film that takes place in outer space, but otherwise, I like something from all genres.

Sounds strange-not liking comedy. There are of course many comedies I do not like, but certain ones are uproarious.

I gotta' cast a vote for Mr.  Eddie Muller, of course his A #1 genre is  film 'noir :angry:   & check out his FB page when you can.

THANK YOU

(NOTE: A question to my fellow TCM-ITES out there, is a film'noir/mystery still ranked in that genre if the viewer knows who the bad guy is?   as in "Blue Velvet" "Double Indemnity" & what do most consider "Touch of Evil" (l958) a film'noir or a crime-drama?  By the way who knw it was shot in Venice Beach, CALIF. filling in for Mexico?) :wub:

THANK YOU

• Like 1

Sounds strange-not liking comedy. There are of course many comedies I do not like, but certain ones are uproarious.

I'm not saying I don't like it at all, just that it's the genre that I like the least. Most comedies that are popular, I don't like at all.  Case in point, SOME LIKE IT HOT.  Not a second of it is funny to me, and most of it is just annoying to watch. I would say it's a men dressing as women thing with me, because I dislike TOOTSIE and MRS. DOUBTFIRE, as well.  However, every time Milton Berle or Benny Hill were in drag, I found it hilarious.  So, I guess it's a Jack Lemmon, Dustin Hoffman, Robin Williams thing with me.

Nobody selected adult movies as their favorite genre? ;)

• Like 1

I do not have a favorite film genre.  I love film.  Its depended on the plot of the film.  For example, I love musicals but if the plot of the film is less than stellar I will change the channel so quick.

I do not have a favorite film genre.  I love film.  Its depended on the plot of the film.  For example, I love musicals but if the plot of the film is less than stellar I will change the channel so quick.

In most musicals the plot is secondary to the other elements that make a musical; the dancing and singing sequences.

I.e. in most musical isn't the plot "less than stellar" by choice from the filmmakers?     

In most musical the plot is secondary to the other elements that make a musical; the dancing and singing sequences.

I.e. in most musical isn't the plot "less than stellar" by choice from the filmmakers?     

Some film-makers do place importance on the plot.  A few examples I can think of right now where the plot was just as interesting as the dancing and singing: "Small Town Girl," "Chicago," "Bye, Bye Birdie," "How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying".  I understand your point.  Some musicals are filmed for the sole purpose of auditioning singers and dancing to the movie going public.  

I'm not saying I don't like it at all, just that it's the genre that I like the least. Most comedies that are popular, I don't like at all.  Case in point, SOME LIKE IT HOT.  Not a second of it is funny to me, and most of it is just annoying to watch. I would say it's a men dressing as women thing with me, because I dislike TOOTSIE and MRS. DOUBTFIRE, as well.  However, every time Milton Berle or Benny Hill were in drag, I found it hilarious.  So, I guess it's a Jack Lemmon, Dustin Hoffman, Robin Williams thing with me.

Does that include rom-coms?  E.g. films by Ernst Lubitsch?     Hey, to each his own but I ask because comedies as a genre is very wide and includes many different type of films.

So john, then I suppose we can also safely rule out you ever doin' "the Time Warp again", eh?! ;)

(...although for the life o' me, I JUST can not understand how you're not laughin' your head off like I am every time I see Lemmon laying on that bed and shaking those maracas with a big ol' grin on his face and telling Curtis what a fantastic time he just had dancing the night away with Joe E. Brown and accepting his marriage proposal...but to each his own, I guess)

• Like 1

I don't have a favorite film genre.  I just can't narrow it down to 1 single genre.   

I do like moody movies with lots of fog.  Like the 1946 low-budgeter STRANGLER OF THE SWAMP.  → There's this 1943 movie called "The Mysterious Doctor" I'd like to see.  The LM Classic Movie Guide says it's only 57 minutes and the plot description says:  "A headless ghost terrorizes tin miners in a foggy English village.  Moor locations interesting; cast adequate."  It received  **½  stars out of 4.  Maybe TCM can pry it out of the mothballs!      

My 'key' for liking musicals isn't the plot -- if I like the music I'm on board no matter how thin the plot.  On the other hand, if I don't care for the music (and I don't fancy opera music at all) it doesn't matter if the movie has an intelligent script and/or is masterfully acted . . . it's on my 'turn down the volume' or IGNORE ALTOGETHER list.  Those 'Lanza/Grayson' musicals from the '50s are rough going!  I tried to watch a couple of them, but I found it a chore to get through them 'til the end due to all the opera-type singing.  They will not be on my radar to watch repeatedly unless I desire a headache. 

The older I get, the more I like those 'Astaire/Rogers' musicals of the '30s. 

I like the 1975 British musical "The Old Curiosity Shop" partly because I really like the song that's sung over the closing credits.  Ends the movie on the just the right note.  Anyone reading this ever seen it?  

I can see that I'm in the minority here. I love film . But, if I have to I would say I'm a big fan of Westerns. I grew up on them in the 1940's and TV in the 50's. As I stated earlier I love all kinds of film. Drama, Horror, Comedy some Musicals. But my true love was and is the Western. As a kid in the 1940,s I rode the range with Tim Holt, Roy Rogers,Randy Scott Hoppy and of course John Wayne, Gary Cooper You knew who to root for. There was the good guys and the bad guys. When I was introduced to television in the 1950's I met Ken Maynard, Johnny Mack Brown, Buck Jones all those hero's from the 1930's that were reintroduced to us on TV. Then the genre grew up as I did. I watched James Stewart go after his brother in "Winchester'73" and Duke covets a baddies wife in "Hondo" and turn vicious in "The Seachers", Alan Ladd protects a family in "Shane" Then there were the new stars who wore 6 shooters. Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Glenn Ford and others. Then TV discovered what I knew all along. Thar's gold in them thar Westerns. Hello "Gunsmoke", "Wagon Train", "Maverick", "Bonanza" "Rawhide" , "Have Gun-Will Travel" and dozens and dozens of others.Then all of a sudden the sun started to set on the Western movies and TV series. Now a days when I see an ad for a new Western in the theaters or a new TV series I feel like a kid again. I think I'm going to feel that way until the sun sets on me...".Take 'em to Missouri Matt"...

• Like 1

I cannot pick a favorite genre  - mysteries, dramas, & film noir probably top 3.   Very easy to select least favorite - musicals!  Followed closely by sci fi.   Every so often I try to give those 2 genres another chance but they just are not entertaining to me.

I love movies in general--doesn't matter the genre. My least favorite genres are horror and sci-fi.  However, even among my least favorite genres, I do find films that are entertaining.  I like the original Star Wars trilogy and all the cheesy 70s/80s horror movies like Halloween and Friday the 13th.  I also love the original Stepford Wives which is kind of a horror/sci fi cross over.  

My favorite favorite genres though (these might be subgenres) are:

film noir

musicals

60s teen beach movies

melodrama

teen movies that involve some sort of bet or competition

romance

drama, specifically the women's "weepie" type films

animated

I started watching classic film on The Late Show and my favorites were always the screwballs, but since I was tap dancer, I also loved the musicals.

But I really go for any film where I admire the actors and the actresses, the director, the cinematography, the writing, the costumes, the set design, the music etc. Film is a collaborative effort, so I love anything that comes together in so many different areas.

That's why I think so many people love Casablanca because it works on so many different levels, as art, while at the same time it's just plain entertainment, based on a love story.

However, at the time it was released, it was in the middle of current events and no one knew how the war would turn out.

Can you imagine actually watching this movie when it came out and you had no idea who's going to win that war. Must have made it all the more, not just exciting, but downright scary.

The reason I like the screwball genre was because the leads were independent assertive or downright rebellious women, who pretty much did as they pleased. That was not just radical for the 1930s, that was still radical in the 1950s and 60s. In the end, the woman usually persuaded the man into her way of thinking. As for the acting, the female lead had to not just deliver lines and look good, she had to be very physical in her comedy, as well as convincing in whatever ludicrous plot the screenwriters may have put her in.

I was surprised when I revisited these movies as an adult that I liked them just as much and they were even much better than I remembered--

Bringing Up Baby

My Favorite Wife

My Man Godfrey

His Girl Friday

The Palm Beach Story

I think It Happened One Night was the first one that the public recognized for this genre, when it swept the Academy Awards for 1934. It was the first film to win all five major categories.

If I had to give titles in this genre, I would say Carole Lombard was the queen of the screwballs-- with Claudette Colbert and Irene Dunne tying for second.

Cary Grant is the undisputable king of the screwball.

But I always thought that William Powell and Melvyn Douglas deserved a lot of recognition in this genre.

The directors of note, besides Capra, were Gregory LaCava, Howard Hawks, Preston Sturges, Ernst Lubitsch, Billy Wilder, Garson Kanin and George Cukor, just to name a few of the best.

The genre was less popular after the forties but a couple of hit movies kept it going as excellent examples in the 1950s--Ross Hunter's Pillow Talk and Billy Wilder's Some Like It Hot.

• Like 1

So john, then I suppose we can also safely rule out you ever doin' "the Time Warp again", eh?! ;)

(...although for the life o' me, I JUST can not understand how you're not laughin' your head off like I am every time I see Lemmon laying on that bed and shaking those maracas with a big ol' grin on his face and telling Curtis what a fantastic time he just had dancing the night away with Joe E. Brown and accepting his marriage proposal...but to each his own, I guess)

You can rest assured I'm NOT laughing.  My favorite comedies are:  THE PRODUCERS (1967); IT'S A GIFT, AUNTIE MAME, HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE, and any and all THREE STOOGES.