Sign in to follow this  
Janet0312

Kookie, Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb

16 posts in this topic

Thanks, Janet. I used to watch Dick Clark's Saturday night show faithfully. (I somewhat shame-facedly admit that I combed my hair like Dick Clark back then.) I actually still have the 45 of this masterpiece. Warner's was great at cross-promotion. They had all these "dreamy" kids under contract and their own in-house record label, so why not combine the two and make all the money they could off of it? Thanks again for this unexpected but totally enjoyable gift. All-time fave from that show: Jackie Wilson.

77 Sunset Strip is on MeTV weeknights at 4 AM ET.  One night last week they had a "crossover" with Connie Stevens and Anthony Eisley from Hawaiian Eye.  They do this with the other WB shows of the period.

James Garner had a walk on and EZJR greeted him as Maverick. Most enjoyable show. I am enjoying it very much.

Thanks, Janet. I used to watch Dick Clark's Saturday night show faithfully. (I somewhat shame-facedly admit that I combed my hair like Dick Clark back then.) I actually still have the 45 of this masterpiece. Warner's was great at cross-promotion. They had all these "dreamy" kids under contract and their own in-house record label, so why not combine the two and make all the money they could off of it? Thanks again for this unexpected but totally enjoyable gift. All-time fave from that show: Jackie Wilson.

Oh, very cool. I think Kookie is dreamy.

• Like 1

Janet--I never could forgive Kookie for getting married. But to me he is still the ginchiest!

He gets married??? I don't watch the show every morning, only when I can't sleep, so I'm not even sure what season it is right now. I haven't seen Kookie in quite a while though.

He gets married??? I don't watch the show every morning, only when I can't sleep, so I'm not even sure what season it is right now. I haven't seen Kookie in quite a while though.

You're going to have to forgive me here - - when this all occurred I was in kindergarten or the first grade. I couldn't really tell the difference between the actor and the character on TV - - all I know is that in the movie mags, that I bought religiously every week for a quarter-- Edd Byrnes really married a woman and it broke my young heart.LOL

By the way, when I can, I stay up till 3 o'clock in the morning to watch Strip

- - after all these years it still does not disappoint.

Yeah. It's a pretty good show. In the episode that was on this morning, Kookie came on at the very end attempting to pick up some babe in the bar.

FYI, Warner's also released a holiday single of Kookie doing a hipster version of "The Night Before Christmas" called "Yulesville". ('It was the night before Christmas and all through the pad not a hepcat was swingin' and that's nowhere, Dad.") 

• Like 1

So furious that our local station that was carrying Me TV, change to the horrible Charge, thus losing 77 SUNSET STRIP, which I was recording, and watching, daily.  Loved it during its original run, and was loving seeing them again.

FYI, Warner's also released a holiday single of Kookie doing a hipster version of "The Night Before Christmas" called "Yulesville". ('It was the night before Christmas and all through the pad not a hepcat was swingin' and that's nowhere, Dad.")

I can recall that I also bought a follow-up 45 to Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb and I believe it was called Kookie's Mad Pad. But it didn't seem to have the same popularity as the original 45 single.

I wish Warner Brothers would release boxsets of this shows and its spinoffs. Or at least have the option of their made to order DVD-R service.

Edd had better have been married.  I saw on a TV news show that he has a son who's a news anchor in New England.

Yes, he was married for a time.