Sign in to follow this  
Bogie56

Trump and North Korea

318 posts in this topic

I agree, which is the point I was trying to make, Trump's rhetoric of late has been that war is inevitable and imminent. I'm hoping that's not the case. As for why the U.S. has been at the forefront of this issue (which we usually are on these international issues; flaunting the title of "world's greatest superpower" and "first among nations" comes at a price), the U.S. has been directly and repeatedly threatened by NK, unlike most others countries, with the exception of SK and, to a lesser degree, Japan. I would say that NK, and specifically Kim Jong Un, has reason to be afraid of us, after we labeled them a member of the "Axis of Evil" under GWB, and have openly and repeatedly called for the ouster, peacefully or violently, of whichever Kim is in power at the time. 

Apparently China was beginning to ratchet up its pressure on NK, but now with Trump repudiating Tillerson and any form of diplomacy they will probably stop or reverse course.

• Like 3

The other day Kim Jong Un said the United States will have to learn to coexist with a nuclear North Korea.

Seems to be a toning down of their rhetoric.

Apparently China was beginning to ratchet up its pressure on NK, but now with Trump repudiating Tillerson and any form of diplomacy they will probably stop or reverse course.

Pressure on NK for what purpose???    

It use to be 'the world,  using the USA as their cop, needs to prevent NK from building nukes,  at ALL cost'.  

NOW,  it appears to be 'the USA,  needs to avoid war with NK,  at ALL cost'.

As I have said;  I believe the mission needs to change;  The USA and the world need to accept a nuclear NK.    

So call off the sanctions instead of increasing them and end any and all hostility towards NK.

Pentagon reports that securing nuclear weapons in NK would require ground forces which means major war.  Also, would expose US and allied troops, NK and SK to biological and chemical weapons.

Not to mention what would China do if its protege/ally was attacked.

www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/securing-north-korean-nuclear-sites-would-require-a-ground-invasion-pentagon-says/2017/11/04/32d5f6fa-c0cf-11e7-97d9-bdab5a0ab381_story.html?undefined=&utm_term=.d3b1eb8a59ed&wpisrc=nl_headlines&wpmm=1

Just for s***t's and giggles let say a nuclear war accidentally started in NK. That cloud of radioactive material isn't gonna stay there over NK it's gonna blow around, SK gonna be a gonner given, but could go to Russia, China, Japan, Alaska, and right across the Pacific to Canada, the lower 48, even Mexico, possibly.

On 10/22/2017 at 3:03 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Pressure on NK for what purpose???    

It use to be 'the world,  using the USA as their cop, needs to prevent NK from building nukes,  at ALL cost'.  

NOW,  it appears to be 'the USA,  needs to avoid war with NK,  at ALL cost'.

As I have said;  I believe the mission needs to change;  The USA and the world need to accept a nuclear NK.    

So call off the sanctions instead of increasing them and end any and all hostility towards NK.

right...until NK fires an ICBM at southern california.

what's that schtootz jerry brown the fruitfly gonna hand the people of SoCal then?

"everything's okay. it was just an unarmed test missile."

Image result for jerry brown

"don't mind us, billy. just...ignore us." -james cagney, captains of the clouds

14 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

right...until NK fires an ICBM at southern california.

what's that schtootz jerry brown the fruitfly gonna hand the people of SoCal then?

"everything's okay. it was just an unarmed test missile."

I guess it doesn't matter to you that if Trump were to do a preemptive strike against North Korea's nuclear facilities they could retaliate with the largest supply of chemical weapons in history from many silos taking out most of the population of South Korea and a great deal of Japan too.  Trump has apparently been advised by the Pentagon to do as Obama was doing.

11 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

I guess it doesn't matter to you that if Trump were to do a preemptive strike against North Korea's nuclear facilities they could retaliate with the largest supply of chemical weapons in history from many silos taking out most of the population of South Korea and a great deal of Japan too.  Trump has apparently been advised by the Pentagon to do as Obama was doing.

Those chemical weapons are extremely deadly. Judging by the kind they used to kill Jong Un's brother, just a dab of it could kill an entire room of people. It's a miracle noone else got infected.

11 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I thought you didn't watch CNN.

Perhaps when he would like to see some news he watches CNN.  Lately as Trump is going south Fox has been avoiding covering the news altogether.

The Politics of the North Korea Terrorism Designation

The country's support for terrorism is less extensive than in the past, but something else has changed.

".....It also will likely complicate any attempts at negotiating with Pyongyang on its ballistic-missile and nuclear-weapons programs—something the Trump administration has said it’s open to.

The designation could instead provoke the North to resume its missile or nuclear testing. After a flurry of such tests early in the year, North Korea hasn’t conducted one since September, though the reasons are unclear. (It may have less to do with pressure from the U.S. than with the North’s own winter military training schedule.) In any case, the South Korean intelligence agency said Monday that the North could conduct more tests this year. Monday’s designation could give the country an impetus.........

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/11/north-korea-state-sponsor-terrorism/546386/

VoteVetsVerified account @votevets 3h3 hours ago

VoteVets Retweeted Will Ripley

Another escalation from our President. This will not solve the North Korean nuclear issue. It's just another step towards war.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Will RipleyVerified account @willripleyCNN

North Korea's Foreign Ministry via KCNA: US decision to name North Korea as a state sponsor of terrorism is "a serious provocation and a violent infringement upon our dignified country," and says it shows they should "keep the treasured nuclear sword in our hands more tightly”

3:39 AM - 22 Nov 2017 from Minato-ku, Tokyo

13 hours ago, mr6666 said:

VoteVetsVerified account @votevets 3h3 hours ago

VoteVets Retweeted Will Ripley

Another escalation from our President. This will not solve the North Korean nuclear issue. It's just another step towards war.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Will RipleyVerified account @willripleyCNN

North Korea's Foreign Ministry via KCNA: US decision to name North Korea as a state sponsor of terrorism is "a serious provocation and a violent infringement upon our dignified country," and says it shows they should "keep the treasured nuclear sword in our hands more tightly”

3:39 AM - 22 Nov 2017 from Minato-ku, Tokyo

Hasn't NK been considered a state sponsor of terrorism since it was included in the Axis of Evil? Hardly the current president's fault.

8 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Hasn't NK been considered a state sponsor of terrorism since it was included in the Axis of Evil? Hardly the current president's fault.

Ah,  someone here that actually gets it as it relates to NK.    I assume we both agree that Trump has said and tweeted some very dumb and immature things as it relates to NK,  but the USA's overall policy is really just the same as that of the 3 previous administrations.    

In addition it appears one's hate of all-things-Trump causes people to forget what the 'mission' was of the previous 3 admins;  Stop NK from developing nukes.   This is a mission the US took on,  on behalf of the entire WORLD.   

Now that NK appears to have nukes I say that ALL sanctions be removed.   I.e. the mission has failed so why continue with the mission.    It makes zero sense.    BUT this isn't what the WORLD wants either.   The USA should tell the WORLD;  hey we tried, but you didn't back us up.  So we are stopping and making peace with N.K.

If the WORLD doesn't like that,  they can find someone else to take up the cause (like China which should have been the leaders in this in the first place).

• Like 1