Sign in to follow this  
Bogie56

Trump and North Korea

520 posts in this topic

Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump

I never fall for scams. I am the only person who immediately walked out of my ‘Ali G’ interview

10:44 AM - 30 Oct 2012
-------------------------------------------------------

Trump Can't Afford to Admit His Failures With North Korea

The administration has no choice now but to carry on the pretense that the negotiations are proceeding favorably.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/05/trump-north-korea-summit/560621/

• Haha 1

Foreign PolicyVerified account @ForeignPolicy 17h17 hours ago

Perhaps more important than maintaining readiness, the exercises are a symbol of U.S. strength and solidarity with its allies, one that is noticed both by #NorthKorea and by #China.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/06/26/experts-question-wisdom-of-canceling-u-s-exercises-with-south-korea-as-mattis-makes-it-official/

Dg9eVxAX0AAXA_z.jpg

http://www.moonofalabama.org/2018/06/officials-attempt-to-sabotage-trumps-north-korea-talks.html

"Officials" Attempt To Sabotage Further North Korea Talks

Several Congress people and some officials in the CIA and Trump administration try to throw a spanner into the negotiations with North Korea. They "leak" to NBC News about an intelligence assessment on North Korea's nuclear facilities. The result is a sensationalized piece that includes no surprising facts.

North Korea has increased nuclear production at secret sites, say U.S. officials
"Work is ongoing to deceive us on the number of facilities, the number of weapons, the number of missiles," said one U.S. official.

One of the NBC authors is Ken Dilanian who is well known for his tight cooperation with the CIA.

Its opening:

http://www.kcna.kp/kcna.user.article.retrieveNewsViewInfoList.kcmsf

U.S. Delegation for DPRK-U.S. High-level Talks Here

Pyongyang, July 7 (KCNA) -- A delegation of the United States of America led by State Secretary Mike Pompeo arrived in Pyongyang Friday.

The delegation is to take part in the first DPRK-U.S. high-level talks for implementing the joint statement adopted and made public at the DPRK-U.S. summit meeting and talks. -0-

2018-07-07T001432Z_2_LYNXMPEE66003_RTROP

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/27/north-koreans-end-of-war-declaration-talks-us-trump-745126

North Koreans frustrated about delay to end-of-war declaration, says son of former South Korean president Kim Dae-jung

North Korean officials are frustrated about the delay of an official declaration ending the Korean war, and China will need to join peace talks to stabilize the denuclearization process, according to a son of a former South Korean president.

Kim Hong-gul, chairman of the Korean Council for Reconciliation and Cooperation and son of the late Kim Dae-jung – who introduced South Korea’s “sunshine policy”, designed to soften Pyongyang’s attitude towards Seoul – told the South China Morning Post that officials in the North had expressed their disappointment during his trip to the reclusive state’s capital last week.

“North Korean officials said they are frustrated about the delay and asked whether there is a valid reason for such slow progress,” Kim said, noting Pyongyang seemed to believe it had made significant concessions and expected reciprocal action.

“The North Koreans initially wanted a peace treaty but they are now asking for an end-of-war declaration,” he said, adding that they wanted the declaration to come first to speed up the denuclearization process.

China’s special representative on the Korean peninsula, Kong Xuanyou, flew to Pyongyang on Wednesday and is expected to exchange views with its officials about talks between the US and North Korea on denuclearization.

The two Koreas pledged in April that they would work together this year to officially end the war, which was halted by an armistice in 1953.

From BR Myers' blog on how various parties in the South and North see the idea of a confederation.

http://sthelepress.com/index.php/2018/07/26/confederation-again-b-r-myers/

Confederation (Again) — B.R. Myers

A while ago a South Korean journalist called and asked if he could spin out my stalker-bodyguard story in one of his Youtube editorials. This got me thinking it could use an update.

As of last April, the stalker and stalkee are engaged. The former no longer seems so hostile to Sam, the bodyguard of his intended. The two even went to a restaurant for lunch.

“Let me have your guns,” Sam said on that cheerful occasion, “and I’ll help fix up your house.”

Although the stalker puts on an amenable front, he has less reason than ever to comply. He will need that arsenal to keep his intended from getting cold feet, and the bodyguard from intervening. He also knows that once the marriage has been consummated, if not sooner, Sam will be out of the picture.

Since the ceremony is to take place in the next few years, the stalker promises to relinquish his guns one by one within — the next few years. If Sam gets rid of his too.

“We understand each other,” says the bodyguard with a sigh of relief. “So take your time, there’s no great rush.”

You see, he’s only dimly aware of what his client and the stalker are planning. That it might have some bearing on the gun issue hasn’t sunk in yet. Nor has it occurred to the neighbors, who gossip only about the stalker-bodyguard relationship, as if Sam’s client were a mere go-between.

Not exactly Animal Farm is it, or The Pilgrim’s Progress? A good allegory makes internal sense whether you get the significatio or not, but my only plausible character is the stalker. The romance? Preposterous. Sam’s rapid cognitive decline goes unexplained. Most incredible of all is the neighbors’ indifference to the planned nuptials.

But look at what I have to work with. North Korea kept harassing the South, and one day they just clicked: Tell me that isn’t a stalker’s dream writ geopolitical. Tell me Trump is shrewder than Sam. If you think I underestimate American interest in what Pyongyang and Seoul are working on, go read the latest writing on the nuclear crisis.

I suspect that even analysts who’ve heard mention of North-South confederation try not to think of it, because they sense dimly what it will mean for the conventional wisdom, their wisdom.

There must be some people in our huge embassy here, I used to tell myself, who are not just devising new ways to make visitors feel unwelcome. Now I’ve begun doubting whether anyone is conveying home what needs to be conveyed. In DC not long ago I encountered a senior official who reacted skeptically to my mention of President Moon’s pledge to hitch up the two Koreas. “When?” he challenged, “When did Moon say that?” We goggled at each other for a moment. I think the incredulity was greater on my side.

Donald Trump Sorrowfully Cancels Another North Korea Meeting

For the first time since his summit with Kim Jong Un, the president acknowledged that nuclear talks aren’t going well.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/08/donald-trump-north-korea/568522/?utm_medium=social&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_term=2018-08-24T19%3A27%3A52

:rolleyes:

So what's with the hold up on Trump's nobel peace prize?  He declared the nuclear threat was over.  Thus North Korea suddenly went from being a rogue state to a legitimate player.  And now there is no need for sanctions as the threat is gone.  Countries are trading with NK again.  Thanks Dotard!

donald-trump-kim-jong-un_625x300_1528782

Trump pointing out an interesting piece of grass to Kim Jong Un.  To the song of Lovely ...

You're lovely,
Absolutely lovely.
Who'd believe the loveliness of you?
  • Haha 2

Unfortunately for Donny there is no Nobel Chump Prize. 

https://www.rt.com/news/437756-north-korea-denuclearize-trump/

N. Korea vows denuclearization within Trump’s 1st term amid stalled talks with US  Seoul

North Korea’s Kim Jong-un vowed he wants to give up nuclear weapons by the end of Donald Trump’s first term, offering a potential timeline for denuclearization, a top South Korean official said after visiting Pyongyang.

The North Korean leader wants to denuclearize and end long-standing hostility between Pyongyang and Washington by the time Donald Trump’s first term expires in early 2021, Chung Eui-yong, South Korea’s national security adviser, revealed on Thursday after meeting with Kim Jong-un.

This is the first time the North Korean leader laid out a potential deadline for dismantling nuclear weapons, the development of which pushed the region to the brink of military confrontation last year. According to Chung, Kim “reaffirmed his determination to completely denuclearize” the peninsula, but said “he would appreciate that such good faith is accepted with good faith.”

Later in the day, Trump hailed Kim’s “unwavering faith,” writing in a tweet: “Thank you to Chairman Kim. We will get it done together!”