Sign in to follow this  
Bogie56

Trump and North Korea

520 posts in this topic

"....the president is all to ready to rush toward conflict, knowing that cable news tends to approve of such moves. Indeed, he writes, American media have been painting a war with North Korea as inevitable.

“The stars are aligning this week for a slick sales job, just as we saw in 2003 before the invasion of Iraq,” writes Novak.

“And that should scare the hell out of anyone who believes that the US and its allies have very little to gain and a lot to lose by starting a war (nuclear or otherwise) on the Korean peninsula.”

Meanwhile, the opposition party is largely missing in action on questions of foreign policy, Nation editor Katrina vanden Heuvel laments in a Washington Post op-ed. She notes that some of the top Senate opponents of foreign confrontation right now are libertarian-minded Republicans....

http://billmoyers.com/story/daily-reads-white-house-sells-war-trumps-sanctuary-cities-policy-struck/

$5 billion wouldn't pay for a one day war, you must be clueless.

It was a joke, son. Try to keep up.

How is Trump going to pay for his war with North Korea when the money in the coffers is going for tax cuts for the wealthy?

One would think that if Trump was such a good businessman and so good at erecting buildings he would understand that if one is going to upgrade every bathroom in a 50 story building from laminated flooring to fine Italian marble one can't also lower the rents!

• Like 1

"For his part, President Trump only spent 14 minutes in the meeting, per multiple sources, and apparently did nothing to improve the situation:

Jonathan Martin @jmartNYT

Dem senator says Trump briefly showed at NoKo briefing, did his "ridiculous adjective" bit.

"about 80 sets of invisible eyes rolling"

3:56 PM - 26 Apr 2017

Ed O'Keefe @edatpost

GOP sen. on N Korea briefing: "Several senators asked specifically, 'What is the policy?' and the briefers gave us very, very few details"

3:43 PM - 26 Apr 2017

Ed O'Keefe @edatpost

GOP senator on N. Korea briefing: Briefing lacked "even straight answers on what the policy is regarding N. Korea and its testing of ICBMs"

• Like 3

"In other words, Trump wanted to remind everybody in the room that he was, in fact, still the President of the United States, before ditching the meeting and letting the “grown ups” deal with the national security crisis.

Meanwhile, the prospect of nuclear war with North Korea increases by the hour as Trump continues to provoke the country through tough talk and empty military maneuvers in the region. In his latest power move, Trump sent the USS Michigan, a guided-missile submarine, to South Korea.....

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/04/26/trump-spent-minutes-major-meeting-preventing-nuclear-war-north-korea.html

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Obama warned Trump that North Korea would be his biggest problem

As Barack Obama was leaving office, he told Donald Trump that North Korea would likely be his most urgent problem as president, according to an investigation by the New York Times.

North Korea has successfully launched hundreds of short- and mid-range missiles, but it has not yet launched a long-range missile that might threaten the US. North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, however, recently said the country will soon test intercontinental missiles, though it’s hard to say if he’s bluffing.

If anything happens it's all Obama's fault, he knew North Korea was a major problem and did nothing about it.

Obama warned Trump that North Korea would be his biggest problem

As Barack Obama was leaving office, he told Donald Trump that North Korea would likely be his most urgent problem as president, according to an investigation by the New York Times.

North Korea has successfully launched hundreds of short- and mid-range missiles, but it has not yet launched a long-range missile that might threaten the US. North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, however, recently said the country will soon test intercontinental missiles, though it’s hard to say if he’s bluffing.

If anything happens it's all Obama's fault, he knew North Korea was a major problem and did nothing about it.

If anything happens with North Korea, it's Harry Truman's fault because instead of paying attention to the Korean War he was off listening to his daughter sing opera.

When asked why he didn't get a better settlement in the Korean War and why we're still having problems with North Korea in 2017, reportedly Truman said:

"Let them sing opera!" (At least that was the the quote that the reporters gave to the public after it had been edited for profanity.)LOL

La Donna è Mobile.

• Like 1

If anything happens with North Korea, it's Harry Truman's fault because instead of paying attention to the Korean War he was off listening to his daughter sing opera.

When asked why he didn't get a better settlement in the Korean War and why we're still having problems with North Korea in 2017, reportedly Truman said:

"Let them sing opera!" (At least that was the the quote that the reporters gave to the public after it had been edited for profanity.)LOL

La Donna è Mobile.

at least trump is meeting the problem head on instead of being too chicken sheet to do anything about it like obama was.

obama couldn't think of any hoy-faloy san francisco way to address it so he tells his successor to be careful because HE couldn't solve it. :lol:

La Donna è Mobile.

Actually, Eisenhower would be responsible as he is the president who settled the conflict and agreed to the current armistice.  There has never been a peace treaty between NK and US or UN.  Technically it was UN vs. NK.

Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-IL) on Wednesday poured cold water on the White House’s “classified briefing” on North Korea, noting

the only thing Donald Trump accomplished was “putting 100 people on three buses and tying up traffic in Washington D.C.”

“I seriously felt like I could have gotten all that information by reading a newspaper,” Duckworth told Anderson Cooper, adding she felt the whole charade was a “dog and pony show.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/04/it-was-a-dog-and-pony-show-sen-tammy-duckworth-torches-trumps-north-korea-briefing/

<_<

• Like 1

Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-IL) on Wednesday poured cold water on the White House’s “classified briefing” on North Korea, noting

the only thing Donald Trump accomplished was “putting 100 people on three buses and tying up traffic in Washington D.C.”

“I seriously felt like I could have gotten all that information by reading a newspaper,” Duckworth told Anderson Cooper, adding she felt the whole charade was a “dog and pony show.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/04/it-was-a-dog-and-pony-show-sen-tammy-duckworth-torches-trumps-north-korea-briefing/

<_<

Not to mention Trump was only there for first 20 minutes or so, spouted off some platitudes and adjectives and then departed.  Maybe to practice his putting?

Not to mention Trump was only there for first 20 minutes or so, spouted off some platitudes and adjectives and then departed.  Maybe to practice his putting?

tammy duckworth is hardly a balanced objective voice...

wasn't she one of a horde of democrats who skipped trump's address to congress?

cite some non-haters. :P

tammy duckworth is hardly a balanced objective voice...

wasn't she one of a horde of democrats who skipped trump's address to congress?

cite some non-haters. :P

I heard the same thing from several republicans on the morning news.  Trump appeared from behind a curtain, made a few remarks, introduced some people and left the room.  And asked if they learned anything no one could come up with a single thing.  Bernie Sanders was the only smart one by skipping this dog and pony show designed to make trump presidential and to look like he knew what he is doing.

• Like 3

I just watched Thirteen Days (2000) about the Cuban Missle Crisis and while the Kennedy administration had a lot of problems, it made me realize how far from competent, adequate, organized, intellignet, ad infinitum the current adminstration is.

And yes I realize it is a movie based on a book and took a lot of liberties, but still the basic story is true.

I do believe the depiction of generals and admirals was somewhat far fetched, but not by much.  Especially the portrayal of Gen. LeMay.  Which is one concern I have about Trump and his reliance on former generals and admirals too much. 

I heard the same thing from several republicans on the morning news.  Trump appeared from behind a curtain, made a few remarks, introduced some people and left the room.  And asked if they learned anything no one could come up with a single thing.  Bernie Sanders was the only smart one by skipping this dog and pony show designed to make trump presidential and to look like he knew what he is doing.

Actually it was another attempt by Trump and his "advisors" to make him look "presidential," impart that he is handling a crisis and distract everyone from the many, many failures of his first 100 days.

See my comment below re: Thirteen Days, but Pres. Kennedy and his staff/advisors handled the problem and never brought in all 100 US Senators.  He did meet with the Congressional leadership as other presidents have.

Why would you bring all 100 US senators to the White House anyway?  What about the 435 House members?  Are they dog food?

An event such as this should have immediately been followed by an announcement that NK has agreed to stop their nuclear program and remove all missles and nuclear weapons from the country or the US is at war with North Korea.

This administration really is clueless.

I just watched Thirteen Days (2000) about the Cuban Missle Crisis and while the Kennedy administration had a lot of problems, it made me realize how far from competent, adequate, organized, intellignet, ad infinitum the current adminstration is.

And yes I realize it is a movie based on a book and took a lot of liberties, but still the basic story is true.

I do believe the depiction of generals and admirals was somewhat far fetched, but not by much.  Especially the portrayal of Gen. LeMay.  Which is one concern I have about Trump and his reliance on former generals and admirals too much. 

The transcripts of what LeMay was proposing to Kennedy read like they are straight out of Dr. Stangelove with LeMay's estimates of how many millions will be killed if they go with his suggested all-out preemptive nuclear strike.

• Like 2

Kennedy did such an amazing job with the Bay of Pigs invasion that it was a total failure. Only Jimmy Carter or Obama could have done a worse job.

Kennedy did such an amazing job with the Bay of Pigs invasion that it was a total failure. Only Jimmy Carter or Obama could have done a worse job.

What, you mean you don't think the Bay of Pigs invasion was Obama's fault, Mad One?

• Like 1

I dare you to do that again.  One more time.  Aw, come on man.

oh, you want trump to take military action against the ugly little bleep?

I'm with ya, Bogie56! :D

oh, you want trump to take military action against the ugly little bleep?

I'm with ya, Bogie56! :D

No, I just wanted your explanation on how he is solving this.  It was supposed to be sooooo easy and Obama and his predecessors were doing it all sooooo wrong.

Millions would undoubtably die including thousands of American troops if the U.S. were to take action but being a good devote Christian I guess you are completely okay with that?  "I'm with ya!"

• Like 1

Missiles and nukes galore while the poor North Korean people STARVES!

SausageServlet-2-392610.jpg

The ONLY one not going hungry is that little fat pig. :angry:

korea-north_.jpg

They would have been smart enough to know it was wrong and a disaster and would have not done it.

As for Kennedy, he did a fantastic job with the Cuban Missile Crisis.  Also, Bay of Pigs goes back to Eisenhower; Kennedy inherited it.

• Like 2