Sign in to follow this  
johnm001

Cinemascope's Sociopathic Spamming Thread

302 posts in this topic

Well at least the live-action ones have probably been rather crappy.>>

Are you referring to the two Princess Diaries and the two Eloise movies she did for tv?

Because she hasn't been in many live action films in the last ten years.

The majority of her work in the last ten years has been as an animation voice artist.

Actually they were both pretty crappy.>>

I may regret this but I am curious:

By now we all know that you love film and that you believe each film, no matter what, can teach you something.

You abhor people who call films crappy and you have taken a few of them to task for it.

Yet, here you are calling these two films crappy?

Is there a cut off date for your love affair with film? And if so, why?

I ask because I am genuinely curious why someone who loves films as much as you, makes such a distinction.

Goodness heavens, lzcutter, that's an awful misrepresentation of what I have said in the boards and it worries a great deal that you could possibly not have read more carefully what I wrote, to avoid misrepresenting what I've said.

You're absolutely right that when it comes to classic movies, and especially silents and the Hollywood films of the Golden Era, I think that each and everyone of them is precious and of great interest to me as a movie buff. And yes I have said that I've learned something from everyone of them, even those I didn't particularly enjoy.

I have never, ever, ever made any such claim regarding contemporary movies, and especially -- ESPECIALLY -- today's Hollywood product.

In fact I think that I've been abundantly clear in saying that when it comes to current releases, movies truly worth watching are few and far between.

But that's my point, why for someone who loves films as much as you, do you only love films from the studio era and not films from all decades?

I'm trying to find out what your cut off date is and the reasoning why it's not okay to call studio era films crappy but modern films are fair game.

I don't follow the logic there.

Because I love films. Silent, studio era, foreign, animated, epic, dramas, comedies, post-1959 and movies made today.

TCM is the one place that I can watch them all commercial free, uncut and in their proper aspect ratio.

I adore TCM's big tent approach that films regardless of when they were made are worth watching.

I also espouse the "big-tent" approach to film that TCM currently engages.

Well much the same with me. I like all movies but of course I'm much more likely to like the classics, as well as independent and foreign-language filmmaking.

It may also reflect my fondness for a more civilized environment than what you usually find in a lot of low-fare modern movies. For whatever reason, it is sad that even here we are not safe from the dirty old men who spout misogynistic insults, and who probably also regard as objects the very women they claim to "admire".

That a talented and distinguished performer should fall so low as to become the object of lust by dirty old men is very sad, but nonetheless, that is what appears to have happened here.

That a talented and distinguished performer should fall so low as to become the object of lust by dirty old men is very sad, but nonetheless, that is what appears to have happened here. >>

I'm not sure what you are referencing here? The photos and the posts about them that have been posted don't strike me (as a woman) to be any different from the various threads about Gary Cooper (filled with pictures posted by women) and Cary Grant.

Did I miss something?

Also, I'm not sure what that has to do with my original post.

There are a lot of dirty old men at there and oftentimes they are irrespectful towards women, that is if they do not outright hurl insults at them. Unfortunately, you cannot compare men and women because in the real world, some men are often the aggressors.

Of course, this person has become offended that someone should suggest his precious Julie Andrews photos constitute nothing more than his "spanking the monkey" material -- this is what some guys are like, unfortunately, and the fact that he likes to use filthy language tends to confirm my worst fears about him. Notice that he never bothered to deny it.

But how are the posting of photos in this thread any different from the photos posted in the Gary Cooper thread in the Favorites forum.

I am truly failing to see the difference other than a man posted the photos of Julie Andrews and the majority of picture posts in the Coop thread are done by women.

Why does it make the pictures here more offensive than the ones in the Coop thread?

There is nothing offensive in the photos per se. It's just that they are being posted by a dirty old man who enjoys verbally abusing women and has not denied that these photos might be what he gets his jollies with, he probably just has a lot of photos of a lot of stars just for that.

It may have been 8 years ago but I thought she and Garner were charming in "One Special Night." Granted it was a TV Christmas movie but having them together again knowing their chemistry was a treat for me.

In addition the fact the woman still wants to work at her age (71) and still sound and look as good as she does is wonderful. Some people don't need the money they just love working.

Hopefully she'll never find out that there are dirty old men who obsess with her and who idolize her even as they go about verbally abusing women.

It's just that they are being posted by a dirty old man who enjoys verbally abusing women and has not denied that these photos might be what he gets his jollies with, he probably just has a lot of photos of a lot of stars just for that.>>

Perhaps, by saying nothing in response to your allegation, he is refusing to take the bait.

I don't know what he said in this thread that was so vile but if you have a problem with it, do as you always suggest, take it to PM and duke it out there.

To continue to take the battle to other threads and involve the rest of us only hurts us all.

The continued animosity between posters is doing this forum no good.

And don't say we don't have to read them. It's kind of hard when you are reading and enjoying a thread to suddenly have it go veering off into innuendo and personal attacks.

I am not saying that you are entirely to blame. There is plenty of blame to go around.

But to continue to bring the battle to other threads is wrong.

Personally, I wish the Julie Andrews thread could eventually return to feature

comments, photos, and info about Julie Andrews...

IZcutter, you make some very salient points about this

being a home for all. With all the thread ideas

and intellectual diversity, there is room for all

kinds of discussion and dissension on the proper

threads..

Message was edited by:

SueSueApplegate

I'm sorry, lzcutter, but I strongly disagree with you for one very simple reason -- we simply do not know what a dirty old man who spouts misogynistic crap and enjoys verbally abusing women is capable of doing if he should ever -- heaven forbid -- establish contact outside the forums with some of the women who post here.

With any luck maybe he only likes to talk dirty and engage in "spank the monkey" sessions with his Julie Andrews photographs, maybe he only wants to find women he can verbally abuse... but that type of abusive behavior towards women should definitely ring off alarm bells, or at the very least, reminders to other women in these boards to be cautious.

Because you aren't concerned about dirty old men who like to verbally abuse women?

And then you encourage them (yourself) with new conversations about movies that depict adolescent women?

If he's been that way with you take it to the web administrator or a PM or ignore him, otherwise drop it. You've said some things about Julie Andrews that frankly have a certain context to them that don't belong here. So, for the good of those of us who want to talk about movies, let it go.

This isn't doing anyone any good, especially you. Come on let's talk about movies.

I am all for talking about movies, and yes, the web admin has been notified about this guy's penchant for hurling misogynistic insults.

Because you aren't concerned about dirty old men who like to verbally abuse women?

And then you encourage them (yourself) with new conversations about movies that depict adolescent women?>>

If you have been a victim of unwanted PMs or feel that you have verbally abused that is what the TCM WebAdmin is for.

Last year we had a poster who crossed over the line, said vile things and sent threatening PMs to a few of us.

We contacted the TCM WebAdmin and let them handle the situation. We did not continue to engage the poster in fighting or baiting or anything else.

Contact the TCM WebAdmin. But if you truly want to disengage from the fight with this poster, stop bringing up the subject on this thread and others.

All it is doing is prolonging the argument and trying to bring other people into the argument who aren't a part of it is not disengaging from it.

It had been my impression that the WebAdmin had largely taken a hands-off approach but, at any rate, if thee are women who could be the subject of further verbal abuse, then don't you think they ought to at least be aware of this? For their own protection?

Any more info or photos about Americanization of Emily?

James Garner was excellent in this WWII film.