Sign in to follow this  
johnm001

Cinemascope's Sociopathic Spamming Thread

302 posts in this topic

I think of how many gifts she's been given, and how she nurtured them to such fruition,

and I'm sure many folks have helped her along the way.

Always keeps me wondering what I should be focusing on....writing, teaching,

songwriting, translating, educational textbooks, editing, reviewing...

I do a little bit of some things well, but she was able to direct her focus

and make career decisions that I think have stood her in good stead

through the years...and she did set quite a few records.

I wish that I had seen the chance to watch her on the stage in Camelot or

My Fair Lady. What was so electric about her performances?

I think of how many gifts she's been given, and how she nurtured them to such fruition,

and I'm sure many folks have helped her along the way.

The same could be said of many other actors. But in terms of movie musicals (since this is the movie musicals forum) her impact could be summed up in just two successful musicals, even the 1968 Star! was a big turkey, sadly.

There were a lot of other Hollywood stars who did a lot more for the American movie musical, and also did it for much longer :)

Well, it's very difficult to put into words;but it was sort of like the same kind of wonder you got, when you saw her phenomenal performance in THE SOUND OF MUSIC, for the first time. She was so talented, but moreso, she was unlike anyone else. She was unique. Her Eliza was the absolute core of the show. Unlike Audrey Hepburn who is just Audrey Hepburn, playing Eliza, Julie was Eliza. Two of her numbers received standing ovations (in almost 50 years of going to professional theater (even being part of it, for over 20 years), I've never seen that happen, except in that show (actually, 3 of the show's numbers got standing ovations, including "Get Me To The Church..."). She has always given complete credit to Moss Hart. He molded her Eliza; but she delivered the goods, for 3 1/2 years, night after night. In CAMELOT, she, along with the entire cast, were almost unbelievable. The greatest Broadway cast I've ever seen. Truly unmatched.

Well it's always nice to hear so many useless facts about stage productions when one decides to spend some time in forums meant primarily for movie buffs. Guess if I want to find a good discussion about the filmed adaptation of My Fair Lady I should go find some Broadway-related forums.

The idea of Julie Andrews as Eliza Doolittle is anathema to me, I wouldn't have wanted to see her in this role probably under any circumstances, although she's probably good enough in a movie like Mary Poppins. Audrey Hepburn represents the soul and heart of Eliza to all those who fell in love with the movie and consider it one of the best (if not the best) Hollywood musicals of the 60s.

This is the Julie Andrews thread, in the "Musicals" category. Not the movie musicals category. Many actors made contributions, and they can have their own thread. In fact, why don't you stop posting here, since you really have absolutely nothing to add to this thread, and start threads dedicated to all those other people? This thread if for Julie Andrews. Also, she made four successful film musicals, not two. And, of course, she starred in 4 successful Broadway musicals, and the most successful made for television musical ever made. Not to mention many successful television musical specials (including the most watched Christmas special in television history). I think her mark on musicals is very well defined, regardless of your uninformed opinion.

There is nothing uninformed about my opinion. I happen to like Julie Andrews alright, and don't mind admitting that she was in two pretty good musicals, but that's still a pretty small contribution to the larger universe of Hollywood musicals, given that many of the most talented performers made dozens of musicals.

These forums are for everyone to give their opinion and offer different points of view on different genres. Just because someone isn't overly enthusiastic about the same things you are is no reason for you to discourage their participation. If you only want to preach to the converted, that's another story altogether.

I think if I could choose a few Broadway musicals to have seen

they would have been Camelot with Julie and Richard and MFL

with Rex and Julie..

Any other that you think stand out?

I'm sure I might add The Most Happy Fella, AGYG, Oklahoma,

South Pacific, and Lil Abner.

I also adored Mary Martin in Peter Pan, the one with Cyril Richard.

Did you see the Loesser special on PBS recently?

Guess if I want to find a good discussion about the filmed adaptation of My Fair Lady I should go find some Broadway-related forums.

Well, soneone with half a brain cell, wouldn't be looking for that in a Julie Andrews thread. She wasn't in that movie, remember? So why look for that discussion here? Why not start a thread about the film version of MY FAIR LADY? It has lots of fans who would love to participate. The reason you don't start a thread about MFL, is you're not interested in discussing it, you're a troll who is interested in disrupting every thread I participate in.

HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING, SEESAW, MAME and RAGTIME, were the best shows I ever saw, excepting MY FAIR LADY. CAMELOT, really wasn't a very good show; but it had the best cast I ever saw. That's why the show really never works. You just can't duplicate that cast. Impossible.

These are two different things and there is no use in trying to confuse the issue. Bringing up the film adaptation of MFL here is fairly unavoidable, given that it's a role that Julie Andrews *could* have played but (fortunately) didn't. Having a discussion that focused on MFL would be a different thing, because then we wouldn't be touching on the subject tangentially, as a secondary consideration.

HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING, SEESAW, MAME and RAGTIME, were the best shows I ever saw,

In how many of those did JA perform?

I agree. MFL without Julie was Dead On Arrival on screen. Given Cukor's flat, stage-derivative direction and Hepburn's insufferable "Love Me Because I'm Audrey" speaking voice and manner (let alone having no singing voice), and you're in Nowheresville. To me, the most god-awful moment was when AH, in all her gaunt, turkey-necked splendor, showed up in her ballgown at the top of the stairs in her big entrance scene. It fell totally flat. Julie knocked that moment out of the park on Broadway - and would have done the same on the screen.

It is nonetheless one of the most acclaimed movie musicals ever made, with, what is it, 12 Oscar nominations and 8 wins. But here's the best part -- if you don't like it, nobody is going to force you to watch it. :)

Good point, ch3. Johnm, was Robert Morse the reason HTSIBWRT was so great? And who was the lead in Mame when you saw it?

Message was edited by:

SueSueApplegate

Morse was great in it; but my favorite person in it was Michele Lee. That's what made the film version such a disappointment to me. They cut all her great numbers! Angela Lansbury was in MAME when I saw it. I also saw her in GYPSY and SWEENEY TODD (a show I despised).

I didn't even know they did a Loesser special!!! I'll have to look out for that. I love his stuff.

You're free to start your own thread on Julie Andrews. No need to visit this one if you have issues with it.

NOW you tell me! I paid to see this stillborn tableau in 1964. Oscars, shmoscars- it's an inconvenient truth that Academy Award winners are presold according to the prevailing Hollywood mindset of the moment - and at that time, MFL was considered the Greatest-Musical-Of-All- Time, so naturally had to run the table. Sadly, it WAS the greatest musical of all-time, till Jack Warner, George Cukor, and Audrey Hepburn snuffed all the cinematic life out of it.

Yes. I didn't care much for the non-Julie musical Sweeney Todd, but I only saw it on

the telly.