Sign in to follow this  
jakeem

Musician J. Geils (1946-2017)

13 posts in this topic

Rock guitarist J. Geils, who led an eponymous band that had its biggest successes in the 1980s, has died at the age of 71. He was found dead of natural causes Tuesday at his home in Groton, Massachusetts.

Geils -- whose full name was John Warren Geils, Jr. -- formed the band as a blues group in Worcester, Massachusetts in the late 1960s. It evolved into a rock band several years later.

The J. Geils Band's 11th album -- "Love Stinks" -- produced a title track that spent three weeks in Billboard's Top 40. But the group's greatest success came with the 1981 release of its 12th album, "Freeze Frame," which shot to No. 1. At the time, the group was fronted by lead singer Peter Wolf, who was married to actress Faye Dunaway from 1974 to 1979. 

The album's biggest hit was "Centerfold," which spent six weeks at the top of Billboard's pop chart in early 1982.

The follow-up release, "Freeze Frame," went to No. 4.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2017/04/11/j-geils-1980s-j-geils-band-found-dead-his-groton-mass-home/100350664/

• Like 2

I liked the earlier, more blues-oriented rock albums from the J. GEILS BAND that were released on the Atlantic Records label.  I have all of those albums + the two 'Greatest Hits' compilations Atlantic put out.  I've listened to all of them lately.  (They're all on cassette and I have my lil' deck close by; I often type on the computer with the J. Geils Band playing concurrently). 

A great album:  NIGHTMARES . . . AND OTHER TALES FROM THE VINYL JUNGLE, 1974.  If one fancies bluesy rock 'n' roll I expect you'd like this entire album.  I do!      

-----------------------------------------

THE J. GEILS BAND didn't get in to the ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME when they were nominated again in 2016 so now if they do eventually get in John Warren Geils won't be around to enjoy it.  Phooey on the R&R Hall of Phlegm.  :angry:    

J. Geils' "Centerfold" is one of my favorite songs from the early eighties to listen to on the car radio. It brings back a particular time and place for me in the Twilight of my rock era. Sometimes you wish you could just "freeze frame" an era--that's the way I feel about the music of the 1980s.

"Flamethrower" was the Side B song to "Centerfold." It was a No. 25 hit on Billboard's Soul chart in 1982. It frequently was used as bumper music on radio programs.

Actually, I liked the band up UNTIL the "Freeze Frame"  "Centerfold" tripe period.

I was never really that big of a fan, but they were a good hard driving rock band UNTIL the '80's, inarguably the worst  decade for the genre.

His band's  third, yet "breakout" lp "Full House" was recorded in Detroit's Cinderella Ballroom and we kind of held them in high esteem 'round here for that.  In fact, most of ALL the stuff on all their live albums were recorded here.

A well rounded and more than competent guitar player, sadly his name NEVER comes up in discussions of guitar "heroes".

My favorites by the band still hark back to

"Whammer Jammer".  "Hard Drivin' Man" and "Give It To Me".

Sepiatone

Actually, I liked the band up UNTIL the "Freeze Frame"  "Centerfold" tripe period.

I was never really that big of a fan, but they were a good hard driving rock band UNTIL the '80's, inarguably the worst  decade for the genre.

His band's  third, yet "breakout" lp "Full House" was recorded in Detroit's Cinderella Ballroom and we kind of held them in high esteem 'round here for that.  In fact, most of ALL the stuff on all their live albums were recorded here.

A well rounded and more than competent guitar player, sadly his name NEVER comes up in discussions of guitar "heroes".

My favorites by the band still hark back to

"Whammer Jammer".  "Hard Drivin' Man" and "Give It To Me".

Sepiatone

Full House is one the best live album released in the 70`S, a great decade for live lps:The Stones,The WHO etc personally around the late 70's it was all over as a great blues-rock band,Too many bad  albums and also a different style was not my cup of tea,if I remember well the first 4 are excellent

Full House is one the best live album released in the 70`S, a great decade for live lps:The Stones,The WHO etc personally around the late 70's it was all over as a great blues-rock band,Too many bad  albums and also a different style was not my cup of tea,if I remember well the first 4 are excellent

Yeah, the band changed a bit to try to keep up with the times.  It's sadly ironic that their biggest COMMERCIAL success came in the '80's with that stuff.  IMHO their early to mid '70's output was much better.

Sepiatone

Yeah, the band changed a bit to try to keep up with the times.  It's sadly ironic that their biggest COMMERCIAL success came in the '80's with that stuff.  IMHO their early to mid '70's output was much better.

Sepiatone

Don't speak ill of the dead, but the J Geils Band's stuff was junk, at least the stuff that I heard.

DownGoesFrazier:  The bluesy-rock music performed by the J. GEILS BAND on their Atlantic albums from 1970-77 doesn't sound the same as their EMI stuff (starting with the 1978 album "Sanctuary") that hit higher notes on the pop charts in the early '80s.    

You come across as a muscle-headed simpleton since you cannot even identify what song or songs you heard and didn't like so, therefore, the entirety of their output must be 'junk'.  Quite the authority you are on the JGeilsBand!  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Don't speak ill of the dead, but the J Geils Band's stuff was junk, at least the stuff that I heard.

Fra--

Their top 40 stuff may have been low-hanging fruit to you, but millions of other people loved it, of which I was one.

Fra--

Their top 40 stuff may have been low-hanging fruit to you, but millions of other people loved it, of which I was one.

If you have the chance to listen to their 1973 live album Full House,iam sure you will like it,the songs are not at all like the  late seventies early 80`s stuff,but the enregy of the band and the repertory will make you a fan of their earlier career,if you have to own one out of the  first 4 this is the one.

• Like 1

DownGoesFrazier:  The bluesy-rock music performed by the J. GEILS BAND on their Atlantic albums from 1970-77 doesn't sound the same as their EMI stuff (starting with the 1978 album "Sanctuary") that hit higher notes on the pop charts in the early '80s.    

You come across as a muscle-headed simpleton since you cannot even identify what song or songs you heard and didn't like so, therefore, the entirety of their output must be 'junk'.  Quite the authority you are on the JGeilsBand!  :rolleyes:

To be fair sir, we each have our paticular likes and dislikes, and our own opinions.

Now, I don't partiularily AGREE with DGF, but I'd point out that even when it comes to bands and artists I don't like, or even outright HATE, some of them do manage to put out at least one thing I can get "into".    There's some that have yet to do so, but I hold out some hope.

Now, I myself was never a BIG J Geils fan, but they did SEVERAL things I like, and the rest weren't all that repellent to me, so I couldn't(and wouldn't) dissmiss ALL of it as "junk".  But then, I come from a city that gave us the "Queen of Soul", and NOT a place that insists on pretending what THEY gave  is some kind of "soul"  ;)

Sepiatone

Fra--

You loved "Freeze Frame" and "Centerfold"?