Sign in to follow this  
cinecrazydc

2018 TCM Festival Suggestions

10 posts in this topic

Thinking that it's never too early, there are lots of opportunities for anniversary screenings from 1938, 48, 58, 68, and even 78.  Herewith are my suggestions for next year’s (2018) festival. Naturally, I don’t expect all – or even most -- of these things due to star availability and program budgets, but I would like to see some of them. 

Key recommendation for 2018:  return to the opening night musical.

**Recommended noir films in bold and italics

Possible Festival theme:  Action – Adventure !

From 1938: Adventures of Robin Hood, Angels with Dirty Faces.  Other possible candidates for 1938:  Boys Town, Test Pilot, You Can’t Take It With You,

Dawn Patrol (war film, Alex Trebek intro ?)  

From 1948The Red Shoes (good art film; doesn't fit precisely with the theme, but it is an important anniversary film), Red River – breakout role for Montgomery Clift; possible noirs: Key Largo; Sorry, Wrong Number

From 1958Possible Opening NightSouth Pacific. Anniversary screening with Mitzi Gaynor at Grauman's (yes, I know it was done earlier at the Roosevelt pool), Or, Gigi (possible return of Leslie Caron ?).

The Young Lions, excellent 1958 war film starring Marlon Brando, Montgomery Clift, and Dean Martin (introduced by Alex Trebek?). Leonard Maltin gave this film ***1/2 stars in his book.  

From 1968:  a major year in film that can’t be overlooked and needs to be recognized at the TCM on this major anniversary of the following films:

Possible Opening Night:  Funny Girl – if TCM can get Streisand and do a special retrospective for her.  Alternate: Camelot (1967) -be nice to have Vanessa Redgrave in attendance and perhaps do a film tribute/retrospective on the Redgrave family.

Other major anniversary features:

***Bullitt – with Jacqueline Bisset and Chad McQueen in attendance. [And Yes !! -- a bottle green 1967 Ford mustang similar to the one driven by McQueen MUST be parked near the venue for passers-by to admire].  Bisset possible candidate for hand/footprint. 

Once Upon a Time in the West – with Claudia Cardinale in attendance.  Good for Friday or Saturday night presentation.  Perhaps Peter Fonda could return to the festival again for commentary on his dad.  Cardinale possible candidate for hand/footprint.

The Producers – since everyone is talking about Adolf you-know-who these days (Mel Brooks in attendance) 

2001 A Space Odyssey – Yes I know it’s been shown before at the TCM festival, but this year (2018) merits a showing with Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood in attendance.

Since TCM jumped the gun on Planet of the Apes (showing it this year rather than its anniversary (1968/2018), perhaps they can get Genevieve Boujold to into Anne of the Thousand Days (prefer 2019 anniversary, but will take 2018 if she's available). 

1978Possible Opening Night: Grease (John Travolta and/or Olivia Newton-John in attendance ?)

The Deer Hunter (Christopher Walken in attendance ?), Heaven Can Wait (possible Warren Beatty return?)  

• Like 2

Certainly some good ideas, cinecrazydc!

Unfortunately, I doubt very seriously if "Funny Girl" would be considered for an opening night film again for the TCMFF. On Thursday, April 25, 2013, "Funny Girl" was the opening night film. Cher and Robert Osborne did the presentation of the film. As I understood it, Barbra Streisand had initially agreed to be in attendance, but later on she was named the recipient of the Chaplin Award by the Lincoln Center Film Society, and decided instead to travel to New York to receive the prize which was awarded to her by President Bill Clinton on April 22, 2013.

Some ideas I've had include:

"Same Time Next Year": possible guests-Ellen Burstyn and Alan Alda (I recommend Burstyn's emotional and in-depth autobiography.)

1958's "Teacher's Pet"

1948's "Sitting Pretty"

1938's "Holiday," and a few animated features: "Merbabies", "Krazy Kat"

(But I haven't checked previous screenings.)

FYI: "Grease," "Superman," and "Animal House" were the top 3 grossing films of 1978.

Other notable films from 1978 include "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," "An Unmarried Woman," "Heaven Can Wait," "Autumn Sonata," "Death On The Nile," "Coming Home," "The Stud," "Coma," and "The Boys In Company C."

I think that later films from the 70s are more likely to be considered for opening night films so that actual actors or directors of those films can be present for the screening on Thursday.

There are many great films I'm considering from the classic decades of American and foreign film.

But I'm still thinking. Any other ideas?

Yes, let's hear it for Teacher's Pet  A wonderful choice SueSue!  They could invite the fantastic

Mamie Van Doren to introduce and reminisce.  A dream pairing!  As long as I'm dreaming, I'll share

a few more I'd love to see.  In no particular order...

Night of the Iguana        Sue Lyon

A Summer Place           Dodd Darin

Come Back, Little Sheba    Terry Moore

All This, and Heaven, too     June Lockhart

The Carpetbaggers    Carroll Baker

The Best of Everything    Diane Baker

The Exorcist    Ellen Burstyn       (So right about her book, SueSue!)

The Bad Seed   Patty McCormack

Splendor in the Grass     Natasha Wagner

Elephant Walk     ???

I don't know who might appear with Elephant Walk!  Any suggestions?  I would just love seeing

that one on the BIG SCREEN!

I'll end my wish list with Valley of the Dolls!    Paging Barbara Parkins!!!   Pick up the pink Princess

Phone!!!

Just saw Don Murray (Bus Stop, Advise and Consent, etc.) with film historian Foster Hirsch at a screening of A Hatful of Rain at AFI Silver in Maryland.   

He did a great job discussing his experiences working with Marilyn Monroe and directors like Fred Zinnemann.

He's now 88.  Need to snag him for the next festival !!!

• Like 1