kjrwe

Doomsday (1928)

10 posts in this topic

Just wondering who else has seen the 1928 silent film Doomsday, starring Florence Vidor?

This movie is an excellent and underrated silent drama about a poor young woman who falls for a poor farmer (Gary Cooper), but has the chance to marry a very rich local man (Lawrence Grant). This woman has spent years taking care of her father (lots of housekeeping involved) and the temptation to marry for money is there.

Highly recommended drama. It has some obvious pre-production code elements.

I saw a print of Doomsday last year.

It wasn't my cup of tea, to be honest with you, because it's essentially a soap opera. Still, it was interesting to see a young Gary Cooper in it, strikingly beautiful, a word not usually associated with this actor, in a number of his closeups.

2c390aa4a63f43583fab3e71a2005cc7.jpg

I thought that it was much more interesting than a soap opera. To me, it's excellent drama, but each to his/her own.

Gary Cooper was very hot, and he sure looked hot in this movie!  :)

I have read Gary Cooper described as "beautiful" early in his career and I would agree (I'm talking late 1920's & early 1930's).  He was certainly good looking later but not beautiful.

I have read Gary Cooper described as "beautiful" early in his career and I would agree (I'm talking late 1920's & early 1930's).  He was certainly good looking later but not beautiful.

He was still hot in the 1941 film Ball of Fire, but I didn't notice his looks much in later films, like High Noon.

I found him to be extremely appealing in Ball of Fire

• Like 1

Cooper shirtless in Lives of a Bengal Lancer in 1935. A treat for many ladies, I'm sure.

7328705382_8d43d3fdda_b.jpg

• Like 1

My wife also found Cooper to be 'beautiful' in his early (30s) films moving to a more rugged \ handsome look in the 40s.   Of course the main reason is aging but I also believe make-up has something to do with it.   In some of those 30s films the make-up is a little too obvious.    Yeah, every actor was 'made-up' by the make-up department to some degree but in the 30s the 'look' was less realistic than it became in later decades.

• Like 1

Just wondering who else has seen the 1928 silent film Doomsday, starring Florence Vidor?

I saw it at the annual Capitolfest film festival in Rome, NY in August 2016. I enjoyed it very much. Not only was it nice to see Gary Cooper in something I'd never seen before, but Florence Vidor is someone we don't see enough of.

I saw it at the annual Capitolfest film festival in Rome, NY in August 2016. I enjoyed it very much. Not only was it nice to see Gary Cooper in something I'd never seen before, but Florence Vidor is someone we don't see enough of.

She did a VERY good job. What a talented actress she was!