Barton_Keyes

2017 Season of The Essentials

42 posts in this topic

​Host Alec Baldwin will be joined by William Friedkin, Tina Fey and David Letterman on TCM's new season of ​The Essentials ​starting May 6.

Hosted by Alec Baldwin and David Letterman:

THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL ('52)

EAST OF EDEN ('55)

GILDA ('46)

NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS ('58)

BRIEF ENCOUNTER ('45)

THE LOST WEEKEND ('45)

THE BIG SLEEP ('46)

Hosted by Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey:

REAR WINDOW ('54)

THE LADY EVE ('41)

BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN ('35)

WOMAN OF THE YEAR ('42)

ALL ABOUT EVE ('50)

SOME LIKE IT HOT ('59)

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN ('52)

Hosted by Alec Baldwin and William Friedkin:

THE QUIET MAN ('52)

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE ('62)

WHITE HEAT ('49)

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY ('68)

BULLITT ('68)

THE BAND WAGON ('53)

THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE ('48)

Now that we know which films will be featured as Essentials in August, we can guess who might be the Summer Under the Stars honorees on those four Saturdays.

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN is up first, and since TCM just did a 24-hour tribute to Debbie Reynolds in January, I bet this will be Gene Kelly day.

THE QUIET MAN provides an excuse for TCM to once again feature John Wayne, who, with the competition of Katharine Hepburn, is the most frequently honored star on TCM.

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE... hard to say. Most likely Frank Sinatra day, but there's an outside shot at Angela Lansbury of Janet Leigh.

WHITE HEAT...this must be James Cagney day.

hosts.png

​Host Alec Baldwin will be joined by William Friedkin, Tina Fey and David Letterman on TCM's new season of ​The Essentials ​starting May 6.

Hosted by Alec Baldwin and David Letterman:

THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL ('52)

EAST OF EDEN ('55)

GILDA ('46)

NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS ('58)

BRIEF ENCOUNTER ('45)

THE LOST WEEKEND ('45)

THE BIG SLEEP ('46)

Hosted by Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey:

REAR WINDOW ('54)

THE LADY EVE ('41)

BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN ('35)

WOMAN OF THE YEAR ('42)

ALL ABOUT EVE ('50)

SOME LIKE IT HOT ('59)

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN ('52)

Hosted by Alec Baldwin and William Friedkin:

THE QUIET MAN ('52)

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE ('62)

WHITE HEAT ('49)

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY ('68)

BULLITT ('68)

THE BAND WAGON ('53)

THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE ('48)

I'm surprise Letterman isn't hosting a film with Sterling Haden:   he sure is channeling Hayden's later day profile.

Now that we know which films will be featured as Essentials in August, we can guess who might be the Summer Under the Stars honorees on those four Saturdays.

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN is up first, and since TCM just did a 24-hour tribute to Debbie Reynolds in January, I bet this will be Gene Kelly day.

THE QUIET MAN provides an excuse for TCM to once again feature John Wayne, who, with the competition of Katharine Hepburn, is the most frequently honored star on TCM.

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE... hard to say. Most likely Frank Sinatra day, but there's an outside shot at Angela Lansbury of Janet Leigh.

That'd be nice if instead of John Wayne, TCM honors Maureen O'Hara.

• Like 1

Sigh.  Must SUTS always be (mostly) a re-hash of the same stars (Wayne, Hepburn, etc.)  Though I would love an Angela Lansbury Day. 

• Like 1

"Singin' in the Rain" could be Donald O'Connor or Cyd Charisse day.

Or Jean Hagen Day if she has enough films.

"Singin' in the Rain" could be Donald O'Connor or Cyd Charisse day.

I would love Donald O Connor day. As much as I love Gene & Debbie, I've seen many of their films. That's not so much the case with Donald.

I believe Cyd was part of last year's SUTS.

• Like 1

theessentials-1014x570.jpg

David Letterman and Alec Baldwin on the TCM set in New York. The new season of The Essentials begins tomorrow night at 8:00PM EST.

theessentials-1014x570.jpg

David Letterman and Alec Baldwin on the TCM set in Atlanta. The new season of The Essentials begins tomorrow night at 8:00PM EST.

from some promos, it sounds like Dave has no love for James Dean (in particular) or Monty Clift ;)

might have some good exchanges w/Baldwin

but then you may have to be a fan of Letterman wisecracks, like I am :)

• Like 3

I enjoyed the banter of the first of the reinstated Essentials. Lets hope this bodes well for the future.

• Like 1

from some promos, it sounds like Dave has no love for James Dean (in particular) or Monty Clift ;)

might have some good exchanges w/Baldwin

but then you may have to be a fan of Letterman wisecracks, like I am :)

I have always liked Letterman (sans the Santa Claus beard) but if he bears no love for James Dean or Montgomery Clift I believe he's a genius now!

What's with the Santa Claus beard? So Letterman is on the entire season?

I think there are 3 co-hosts. Letterman is on for two months; then it's Tina Fey for a couple months; then it's this William Freidkin (who I'm unfamiliar with).

then it's this William Freidkin (who I'm unfamiliar with).

William Friedkin is the director of The French Connection and The Exorcist, among many others, although these are his most famous movies (he won the Best Director Oscar for the former). He's a chatterbox in all of the interviews I've seen with him over the years, and he's very opinionated. He's getting up in years now (he'll be 82 in August), but I doubt that it's slowed him down much.

• Like 1

William Friedkin is the director of The French Connection and The Exorcist, among many others, although these are his most famous movies (he won the Best Director Oscar for the former). He's a chatterbox in all of the interviews I've seen with him over the years, and he's very opinionated. He's getting up in years now (he'll be 82 in August), but I doubt that it's slowed him down much.

Friedkin was a guest programmer on TCM on July 23, 2014. Here are two of his segments with Robert Osborne, via YouTube:

BULLITT and THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE are two of the Essentials Friedkin will discuss with TCM's Alec Baldwin.

I think there are 3 co-hosts. Letterman is on for two months; then it's Tina Fey for a couple months; then it's this William Freidkin (who I'm unfamiliar with).

Oh, I see. He's a director (big in the 70s) Directed The French Connection.

Maybe he has already taped the holiday essentials for December.

Sorry for this negative entry here but I just cannot stand Alec Baldwin even a little bit. It will make it difficult for me to enjoy a once favorite part of TCM programing of mine. Surely there are better choices available. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I am having a serious problem with him as host since he defended Kathy Griffin earlier today. 

Then don't watch. Problem solved.

Then don't watch. Problem solved.

I wonder if Baldwin did something similar to what Griffin did,  if TCM would take the same action as CNN. 

I assume CNN felt the Griffin 'problem' would be solved by too many viewers doing what you recommend these anti-Baldwin TCM viewers do;  stop watching their New Years day programming.     Therefore CNN solved the problem by firing her.

While I don't let off-the-field actions influence my view of a performer's work,   I believe most people do.

I wonder if Baldwin did something similar to what Griffin did,  if TCM would take the same action as CNN. 

I assume CNN felt the Griffin 'problem' would be solved by too many viewers doing what you recommend these anti-Baldwin TCM viewers do;  stop watching their New Years day programming.     Therefore CNN solved the problem by firing her.

While I don't let off-the-field actions influence my view of a performer's work,   I believe most people do.

Listening to whiny self-righteous culture warriors has gotten really old this week. If you don't like something or someone on TV, change the ******* channel. Why these self-important dipsticks think they need to remove said "offenders" from everyone's TV screens is beyond me.

If I don't like steak, I don't order steak. I don't try to ban the restaurant from selling steak all together.

Regardless, TCM isn't a commercial TV station, so there's no sponsors to appease, and the majority of viewers see the channel as part of a group channel package. Quit watching the channel if you want to, it won't make much of a difference to anyone, let alone TCM. And the number of overly-sensitive conservative windbags willing to cancel their cable over Alec Baldwin is a minority. That's what I believe.

• Like 3