Barton_Keyes

2017 Season of The Essentials

42 posts in this topic

I've never "met" you before, LawrenceA, and am not certain why you felt you had to call a multitude of names.  I don't consider myself a whiny self-righteous culture warrior or a self-important dipstick or an overly sensitive conservative windbag because I choose to stop watching The Essentials while Alec Baldwin is host.  However, apparently you do.

Also, I didn't pop in here and ask everyone else to stop watching or start a petition to have Baldwin fired or organize a march on the studio.  I just stated what I decided to do.

I am going to move on from this while I feel like I can still make a graceful exit.

• Like 1

Well, I wasn't just referring to your post with my mini-rant about the current state of affairs, but rather a broad range of complainers both here and elsewhere in the media landscape. I did suspect you may be conservative, due to your particular target, and that you were overly-sensitive, since I don't see why anyone would let what Kathy Griffin did upset them so much that it would lead to a boycott, personal or organized, and not even against Griffin, but Baldwin because he said something about Griffin. What she did was stupid, I'm not condoning it. But I don't let it upset me, either. 

As for the rest of my screed, I stand by it. If someone doesn't like a show, stop watching it. Don't ask for it to be taken off or for the people to be fired. No, you didn't explicitly say this, but the implication was that you would not watch as long as Baldwin remained. 

Sorry for this negative entry here but I just cannot stand Alec Baldwin even a little bit. It will make it difficult for me to enjoy a once favorite part of TCM programing of mine. Surely there are better choices available. :rolleyes:

I'm Not one for negative comments either, however I completely agree. Alec and Dave???? They take the class out of classic...just "ic." What a let down TCM. Can't help but think that Mr. Osborne would be disgusted.

I'm Not one for negative comments either, however I completely agree. Alec and Dave???? They take the class out of classic...just "ic." What a let down TCM. Can't help but think that Mr. Osborne would be disgusted.

Robert Osborne had Alec Baldwin as a co-host a number of times. I believe they got along great.

It's a shame you haven't enjoyed Dave and Alec on the Essentials. Most of the feedback has been positive, but you can't please everyone. Maybe you can take minor solace in that Dave won't be there very long, as Tina Fey will be joining Alec soon.

Well, I wasn't just referring to your post with my mini-rant about the current state of affairs, but rather a broad range of complainers both here and elsewhere in the media landscape. I did suspect you may be conservative, due to your particular target, and that you were overly-sensitive, since I don't see why anyone would let what Kathy Griffin did upset them so much that it would lead to a boycott, personal or organized, and not even against Griffin, but Baldwin because he said something about Griffin. What she did was stupid, I'm not condoning it. But I don't let it upset me, either. 

As for the rest of my screed, I stand by it. If someone doesn't like a show, stop watching it. Don't ask for it to be taken off or for the people to be fired. No, you didn't explicitly say this, but the implication was that you would not watch as long as Baldwin remained. 

I wonder how many people in the 'business' on various media (e.g. talk show host, sport shows host, T.V. etc..) have been fired in the last 10 years or so because of off-the-field conduct,  and if they were conservatives (Schilling)   or liberal (Griffin).

I think that some people want someone from the other 'side' to get fired because someone from their 'side' was fired.     

I wonder how many people in the 'business' on various media (e.g. talk show host, sport shows host, T.V. etc..) have been fired in the last 10 years or so because of off-the-field conduct,  and if they were conservatives (Schilling)   or liberal (Griffin).

I think that some people want someone from the other 'side' to get fired because someone from their 'side' was fired.     

I believe that's true, as well. Not long after Bill O'Reilly was ousted at Fox News, there was a call to boycott Stephen Colbert. And then the Hannity sponsor pull-out happened, which was followed by the Kathy Griffin and Bill Maher kerfuffles. All of these people brought it on themselves, but the reaction always seems to swing from right to left, left to right.

Maybe he has already taped the holiday essentials for December.

LOL.

To be clear, I did not write TCM and ask that Alec Baldwin be fired.  I'm not certain where that assumption came from.  I did not vote for our current President and the people who know me don't label me as conservative.  In fact, some of my conservative friends vehemently disagree with me on quite a few topics.  I'm not a registered Republican or Democrat so I'm not a member of either "side" although I do vote.  A lot has been negatively assumed about me from two sentences which I don't feel is fair.

I did watch Robert and Alec when they were together and was amazed at how much Mr. Baldwin knew about classic films and I respect that.  I just didn't like what he did the other day.  That's just me.  I don't expect everyone to feel the same way.  In fact, I'm probably about the only person who wrote to TCM and voiced my opinion and knew I was more than likely in the minority when I wrote. Still - its my right to write (ha) and I did but I did not ask that he be fired.

I have a feeling there are a few people out there in our current world that would make a few of the current members here want to turn the channel if they ended up as host or co-host on The Essentials.  That's just a guess though.

I'm hoping to agree with everyone on some topics in the future. I have actually been a member here for quite a while but just recently my life has let me have more time to come here, which I hope to do.  Can't figure out why I can't upload an avatar but I'm working on that one. 

• Like 1

FrankieAnne, I sincerely apologize for any knee-jerk reaction I had to your original post. As I tried to clarify in my second post on the subject, I wasn't just responding to you, but to the sentiment in general, expressed here and elsewhere, and in this overheated political environment, I reacted to you in a way that was not deserved.

If you begin frequenting the boards again on a regular basis, you'll notice that there are usually one or two posts or threads created a week, usually by a first-time poster or a very infrequent poster, that are critical and/or negative about some aspect of TCM, and that person rarely responds again. I wondered after your initial response if you may be one of those people, but clearly you are not.

Also there have been several complaints made about Alec Baldwin and his position as host on TCM already. There have also been several complaints about Ben Mankiewicz. And all of these previous complaints have been of a political nature. Those complaining have been self-proclaimed conservatives angered at what they see as a "liberal bias" by Alec or Ben. I have yet to see such bias expressed on screen by either on TCM, but there you go. I apparently mistakenly attributed your displeasure as being of a political nature, too, based on your original post where you stated that you have a problem with Baldwin for defending Kathy Griffin. That was, after all, a situation steeped in political issues.

Obviously you are free to express whatever you wish to express (within the confines of the site's code of conduct), and I did not intend to suggest that you did not have that right or were not welcome to express it. But I will add that, as a message board, the other posters have just as much right to comment on your posts, and that doesn't always (or even often) mean agreeing with what you have to say.

Again, I offer my apologies for any inferred or perceived hostility, and I look forward to your future contributions.

• Like 2

To be clear, I did not write TCM and ask that Alec Baldwin be fired.  I'm not certain where that assumption came from.  I did not vote for our current President and the people who know me don't label me as conservative.  In fact, some of my conservative friends vehemently disagree with me on quite a few topics.  I'm not a registered Republican or Democrat so I'm not a member of either "side" although I do vote.  A lot has been negatively assumed about me from two sentences which I don't feel is fair.

I did watch Robert and Alec when they were together and was amazed at how much Mr. Baldwin knew about classic films and I respect that.  I just didn't like what he did the other day.  That's just me.  I don't expect everyone to feel the same way.  In fact, I'm probably about the only person who wrote to TCM and voiced my opinion and knew I was more than likely in the minority when I wrote. Still - its my right to write (ha) and I did but I did not ask that he be fired.

I have a feeling there are a few people out there in our current world that would make a few of the current members here want to turn the channel if they ended up as host or co-host on The Essentials.  That's just a guess though.

I'm hoping to agree with everyone on some topics in the future. I have actually been a member here for quite a while but just recently my life has let me have more time to come here, which I hope to do.  Can't figure out why I can't upload an avatar but I'm working on that one. 

Thanks for taking the time to explain your position.   I can understand someone not liking what Baldwin said related to Griffin,  but personally I don't let that impact how I view a host.    As you note you believe Baldwin has a lot of movie knowledge and did a good job with R.O.   What he did doesn't change that.    But hey,  if he now bugs you,  yea,  put the T.V. on mute  (but I recommend one still watches the films being shown since most of them are good films).  

As for others possible host that would upset people;  Some of the people that have been mentioned at this forum are Jane Fonda and Woody Allen (both have NOT been host) and Dennis Miller (who hosted Creature Feature last month).   Ben has also been attacked at this forum for being a member of the Young Turks.    So yea,  there are people that expect a host to have no off-camera life.    

My own view is that I separate a host's (or sports figure,  actor,  artist,  musician,  etc..),  personal life from their work.   E.g. I don't like many of the actions of John Wayne during his life but that doesn't impact me from enjoying the films he was in.  

• Like 2

Robert Osborne had Alec Baldwin as a co-host a number of times. I believe they got along great.

It's a shame you haven't enjoyed Dave and Alec on the Essentials. Most of the feedback has been positive, but you can't please everyone. Maybe you can take minor solace in that Dave won't be there very long, as Tina Fey will be joining Alec soon.

Robert Osborne had Alec Baldwin as a co-host a number of times. I believe they got along great. It's a shame you haven't enjoyed Dave and Alec on the Essentials. Most of the feedback has been positive, but you can't please everyone. Maybe you can take minor solace in that Dave won't be there very long, as Tina Fey will be joining Alec soon.

I'm hoping to agree with everyone on some topics in the future. I have actually been a member here for quite a while but just recently my life has let me have more time to come here, which I hope to do.  Can't figure out why I can't upload an avatar but I'm working on that one

Welcome to the message boards FrankieAnnie. Someone else recently was having problems uploading an avatar. These are the instructions I provided in a private message. Perhaps it will help:

Go to your profile (by clicking on your current avatar). On your profile page you should see your avatar. If you've never added a photo before, it should be blank/generic. Click on it.

You will be able to upload a photo. Select the 'Choose File' button, or you can paste in a URL (web address for a picture). The picture cannot be too large, or you will get an error.

Then it will let you crop it if desired. Click the Done button below and it should be successfully saved/uploaded.

• Like 1

Thank you, LawrenceA, for your sincere post.  I appreciate it more than I have words for so I hope a simple "thank you" will suffice.  I do hope to get here more often than in the past.  I have a post for "Information Please" that I would like to get to this weekend.

When Ben first started as host, I was skeptical - thinking that he was riding the coattails of his famous relatives but I've grown pretty fond of him and can't say that I personally have seen any "liberal bias" coming from him.  I look forward to him now.

jamesjazzguitar - thank you.  I appreciate your reply.  I guess Roman Polanski would be a good one to add to the Jane Fonda/Woody Allen list.  :)

Hi, TopBilled.  Thank you for your suggestion.  I have tried that and don't know what I am doing wrong.  I have a picture I used as an avatar back in the old "The Union" days so I think I will give that one a try.  Maybe its the correct size or something. I will keep trying!

Thanks again, everyone. 

• Like 3

Thank you, LawrenceA, for your sincere post.  I appreciate it more than I have words for so I hope a simple "thank you" will suffice.  I do hope to get here more often than in the past.  I have a post for "Information Please" that I would like to get to this weekend.

When Ben first started as host, I was skeptical - thinking that he was riding the coattails of his famous relatives but I've grown pretty fond of him and can't say that I personally have seen any "liberal bias" coming from him.  I look forward to him now.

jamesjazzguitar - thank you.  I appreciate your reply.  I guess Roman Polanski would be a good one to add to the Jane Fonda/Woody Allen list.  :)

Hi, TopBilled.  Thank you for your suggestion.  I have tried that and don't know what I am doing wrong.  I have a picture I used as an avatar back in the old "The Union" days so I think I will give that one a try.  Maybe its the correct size or something. I will keep trying!

Thanks again, everyone. 

Re: The avatar.  I've had trouble uploading an avatar for my user pic as well.  I'll try to upload and it seems like it "works" but then the avatar is the same.  I've found that the only way that it works successfully is to use the URL option.  What I do, which may seem like extra work, but I dislike the sad gray default square, is I go to tinypic.com in order to lower the resolution of the image and also to get the size adjusted for the purpose I need.  I imagine any photo service that produces URLs or even the URL for the image you desire will work.