Sign in to follow this  
metsfan

Calamity Jane

46 posts in this topic

I agree. McLerie was great. She was also in Warners' remake of "The Desert Song" and I think she was in "Where's Charley?" I saw her -along time ago-as Anita in the National Tour of "West Side Story." Unlikely casting, but she was great. She had the lead in Irving Berlin's "Miss Liberty" but that show flopped. You can hear her on the delightful cast album. It's kind of like Helen Gallagher's career-a very good one-but just missing stardom. MClerie was wonderful as Blair Brown's mom on the TV show "MollyDodd." I haven't heard of her since.I believe her son died tragically in an asccident around this time.

Oh, I forgot to get back to you regarding AGYG -- that's got to be some of the worst bunk I ever heard because MGM wouldn't have approached any other studio for a loan when they had great musical talent in-house. That's a big part of why they prided themselves on "having more stars than there are in heaven." Once it became clear JG couldn't have fulfilled her obligation, then I guess that became another story.

I too agree that she is great, and wish she had a more fruitful career. Although, her career isn't bad, at all.

True. Not that I would wish "stardom" on anyone particularly.

I just wish we'd seen more of her talent in the venues where

she was obviously so capable.

In so many cases, stardom may be fleeting, but true talent is not. There are quite a few talented performers who, for whatever personal reason(s) chose not to work non-stop until they kicked the bucket.

They were under no obligation to entertain us to our heart's content, we should at least be grateful that we saw some of their work. :)

Johnm, I knew what you meant.

I am glad that we had McClerie's screen performances, and I just felt

that her Katie in CJ was one of her better roles. I also enjoyed her

in Jeremiah Johnson, and when I saw her name in the credits of

JJ, I couldn't believe it was the same actress. I felt she was great

in her scenes with Robert Redford, and her performance was

a coda to the whole movie. At the end of JJ, her son and her

death still shadowed the emotions of Johnson and his reaction

to the indian homage at the gravesite.

"Also, maybe Judy didn't feel right for Annie [Get Your Gun] from the start. Any info, anyone?"

Ms. Garland desperately wanted to make Annie Get Your Gun and she would have been fantastic in the role (as the surviving footage attests). Unfortunatly, she was physically and emotionally ravaged at this point in her life and couldn't complete filming.

"...MGM wouldn't have approached any other studio for a loan when they had great musical talent in-house."

Stranger things have happened. Keep in mind that MGM was the studio that tried to get Shirley Temple from 20th Century Fox to star in The Wizard of Oz. I believe Donald O'Connor was on loan from Universal to make Singin' in the Rain.

I feel we're about to get inundated with McClerie photos

Which would be a hell of a lot more interesting that being inundated with inane and mean-spirited posts like the above one from you. Which everyone is forced to endure around here, on a daily basis, if they want any interaction with others.

And I think that certainly L.B. Mayer wouldn't have considered getting someone on loan (at least not for a starring part) if the studio had already someone who could be relied to carry a picture... JG was not yet a huge star at the time she was cast, although of course she acquited herself beautifully.

There is nothing mean-spirited about it, simply miss the days when seeing new posts in the "Musicals" forum meant there might be an interesting opinion or tidbit, or an update about something new being shown on TCM or other channels.

"Worship" threads are all very well in the "Favorites" forum but I can't see why they need to be in a forum that was presumably intended for more in-depth discussions.

Then why post a meaningless post such as that? For someone who posts as many useless posts as you, that sure is some statement. The pot calling the kettle black springs to mind. You're a b*tch.

It is not a meaningless post, I genuinely love Judy Garland singing "I'm an Indian Too", and if you don't like it a you call me names because of it, then you can kiss my cellulite-free rear end.

Why don't you go and spank the monkey with all of your Julie Andrews photos?

With the popularity of "Once I Had Secret Love," Day's popularity

got a great boost. It is often claimed that this is Doris Day's favorite movie,

and I like to believe that.

Her acrobatics and dancing have never been more demanding

in other musicals.