TomJH

The Rifleman & Other TV Westerns

84 posts in this topic

Many of these shows are showing up more on the over the air channels.  I think GetTV and COZI show a whole lot of them.

I periodically watch 77 Sunset Strip and they frequently refer to going home to watch Bronco.  They also plugged other WB shows of the period.

James Garner Has made a couple of appearances on 77 Sunset Strip and in the scenes, the guys call him Maverick.

The Rifleman is on AMC on Saturday mornings. Being under the weather for a couples weeks with the killer cold of the century, my sister offered to come over and help me with the housework, but only if she could have the Rifleman on while she was doing it. Now that's a fan!

Conspicuous in his absence: Cheyenne's Clint Walker. He was in the middle of a year long strike against the studio.

That's the reason Ty Hardin "Bronco" is there.  The Bros Warner bought him in to replace Clint Walker when he took his little stroll...

The Rifleman is on AMC on Saturday mornings. Being under the weather for a couples weeks with the killer cold of the century, my sister offered to come over and help me with the housework, but only if she could have the Rifleman on while she was doing it. Now that's a fan!

I'll bet she puts down the mop and runs to the TV whenever the gunfire starts.

chuck-connors-rifleman.jpg

TALES OF WELLS FARGO with Dale Robertson can be seen on weeknights  at Starz-Encore Westerns Channel without commercial breaks. They started showing the series in chronological order back in the beginning of January.  The first 5 seasons will be completed on April 27. I  am not sure if they will show Season 6 when the series changed to the one hour format. By the early 60's the one hour format had become very popular for TV westerns.

TALES OF WELLS FARGO with Dale Robertson can be seen on weeknights  at Starz-Encore Westerns Channel without commercial breaks. They started showing the series in chronological order back in the beginning of January.  The first 5 seasons will be completed on April 27. I  am not sure if they will show Season 6 when the series changed to the one hour format. By the early 60's the one hour format had become very popular for TV westerns.

I was a HUGE fan of this show when I was a kid, seeing it in syndication during the '60s. In fact I joined the Dale Robertson Fan Club for a while. I can't remember much about the club. I believe there was the occasional correspondence largely promoting Robertson's career, as he was just starting a new series called Iron Horse.

The highlight of being in the club was when I received this autographed photo from Mr. Jim Hardy himself.

That smear you see on the autograph was when cynical little me tested it with water to see if the ink was real or the autograph was just embossed on the photo. As you can see, the ink was real.

dale%20robertson_zpsnatgbpca.jpg

I was a HUGE fan of this show when I was a kid, seeing it in syndication during the '60s. In fact I joined the Dale Robertson Fan Club for a while. I can't remember much about the club. I believe there was the occasional correspondence largely promoting Robertson's career, as he was just starting a new series called Iron Horse.

The highlight of being in the club was when I received this autographed photo from Mr. Jim Hardy himself.

That smear you see on the autograph was when cynical little me tested it with water to see if the ink was real or the autograph was just embossed on the photo. As you can see, the ink was real.

Very nice to see someone as nostalgic as myself.  I am in my middle 70's, but there is a part of me that still is a kid.  Perhaps that will help keep me around for years to come.  I think Dale Robertson made it to 89. :)

Thanks CODY

DENVER PYLE was another I overlooked in my "Rifleman" list of frequent  appearances.  He's made about THREE that come to mind.  Others on your list showed up maybe just once or twice, but I'm sure there are more too.

Speaking of Mr.Pyle----

I remember seeing him (back when my cable had COZI) in a couple of old CISCO KID episodes.  Barely recognized him.  Had DARK hair, and was SLIM!  ;)

Yeah, AMC shows THE RIFLEMAN on Saturday mornings.  Several episodes in a row.  MeTV shows two episodes each weekday at 3:00pm EST, and at 5:00pm  Saturdays.   Both MeTV and H&I get into the western mode on weekend mornings(often carrying on through the afternoon).

Sepiatone

I remember when Gunsmoke changed from half-hour to full-hour episodes.  My father had been a devoted fan up till that point.  After watching some one-hour episodes, he stopped watching it.  Not enough action.

I watched TOWF as a kid and have watched some episodes on Starz-Encore.  Doesn't seem as interesting now and Dale Robertson is kind of "wooden."

I remember when Gunsmoke changed from half-hour to full-hour episodes.  My father had been a devoted fan up till that point.  After watching some one-hour episodes, he stopped watching it.  Not enough action.

I watched TOWF as a kid and have watched some episodes on Starz-Encore.  Doesn't seem as interesting now and Dale Robertson is kind of "wooden."

I had that same feeling as your father regarding the hour long format. Too much filler, not enough action.  

• Like 1

I had that same feeling as your father regarding the hour long format. Too much filler, not enough action.  

I didn't mind the hour long shows.  But I lost interest and quit watching when CHESTER left in '63.

But, it near KNOCKED ME OUT when I learned some time ago, that FLOYD THE BARBER(Howard McNear) did the voice for "Doc" on Gunsmoke's radio broadcasts.   :o

Oh, and back to Denver Pyle....

When the idea of turning Gunsmoke into a TV show came up, Pyle was shortly considered for the MATT DILLON role.  But I think his voice not being right had to do with him not getting the role.

Sepiatone

I didn't mind the hour long shows.  But I lost interest and quit watching when CHESTER left in '63.

But, it near KNOCKED ME OUT when I learned some time ago, that FLOYD THE BARBER(Howard McNear) did the voice for "Doc" on Gunsmoke's radio broadcasts.   :o

When the idea of turning Gunsmoke into a TV show came up, Pyle was shortly considered for the MATT DILLON role.  But I think his voice not being right had to do with him not getting the role.

Sepiatone

Well, I'll tell ya, pilgrim. Word 'round town is that this cowpoke here had a little somethin' to do with Jim Arness gettin' that role too, ya know...

Here's another very important name that appeared in many western TV shows, Jim Davis.  Wound up playing Jock Ewing on DALLAS.  

And btw...

I'll bet there's probably a goodly number of us of a certain age who could still sing and/or hum or whistle the theme songs of these here TV shows if'n we were a mind to, ain't there.

Sepiatone

& I'm sure most of the know they first wanted "The Duke" for the record breaking-(20yrs) Western series-(TRIVIA: Only for a scripted show  "Meet the Press" is champ overall) & don't know why he turned it down, except to not being tied down a such a show & therefore making his-(154) overall starring roles??   A few yrs before that Columbia wanted him at 1st to play in the eventual 1949 Oscar sweeping "A'' the Kinjg's Men"-(he turned that down) & over the last 30yrs Zinneman & UA wanted John to 1st portray Will Kane in the legendary 1952 "High Noon"

Anyone shed some light of the 2 films, tv series has been verified over the years

THANK YOU

(P.S. & dig this, fore decades people strongly insist that he earned another Oscar shot for "The Quiet Man?)

TCM airs a segment from Harry Carey,Jr & mostly about the legendary star & he personally thought Wayne outright deserved Best Actor for "Sands of Iwo Jima" "The Searchers" True Grit"* & "The  Shootist"-(the latter gets my vote)

If people didn't like the hour long Gunsmoke, I'm guessing

that would really stay away from the 90 minute The Virginian.

You better believe it.  I watched the hour long Gunsmokes, but tired of The Virginian after the first couple of episodes.

It's not that I don't like it, it's just that I think it's better at 30m.

And I'm also a fan of The Virginian

You better believe it.  I watched the hour long Gunsmokes, but tired of The Virginian after the first couple of episodes.

I didn't watch The Virginian when it was on originally and I

don't think it was syndicated like some of the other popular

westerns. The Inspiration Channel has been running it for

about the last year, so I've been watching it. A little on the

talky side, but not all that bad and of course most of the

plots are pretty familiar. And it's nice to watch a TV program

where one hasn't already seen each episode three or four

times already.

It's not that I don't like it, it's just that I think it's better at 30m.

And I'm also a fan of The Virginian

I've only seen a few of the half hour episodes, so I can't really

compare. Maybe it's a similar case to Alfred Hitchcock's TV

programs. Most people seem to prefer the compact, got ya

half hour ones to the hour long ones. The Virginian is well

enough written that you don't feel they are trying to pad an

extra half hour into the program.

PERONALLY -(though I adore the Western Genre)not so & even since I was a kid in mid 1975

One western series I never missed was with my then childhood hero &,:"King of Movie Cool: Steve McQueen" (930-l980)

is observation for his soon coming theatrical Western "The Magnificent Seven"  60m & superb "Magnificent  stuff on every level, especially E. Bernstein's legendary score-(NOTE: He was up for his music, but lost to. Gold for "Thougherly Modern Mile" INSTEAD?

"Gunsmoke" was on an incredible 20 years-(955-75)

Bonanza I also watched a a kid, but stuck to Mr. McQueen then as w wee-lady 

THANK YOU

(P.S. Now I was powerffuly

drawn back to one of the greatest Westerns everprodued-(thruought ght so because it was a tv niniseries?)

1989's :Lonesome Doe" easily stands along the Holywood giants>"Searchers" "Shane" "0nce Opun Time in America""Unorfogiven" Wild Bunch" a few only others!!!

Thank you SPENCE for pointing out the importance of PROOFREADING!  ;)

A kid in 1975?

DAMN!  I was ushering in my SECOND child that year!

+1 on McQueen.  Been a fan since "Wanted: Dead Or Alive".   MeTV shows the old episodes on Saturdays, and if you're a fan of "Mr. Cool", I suggest you check 'em out.

In fact, the MAIN reason me and my friends went to see "The Magnificent Seven" in the FIRST place was that because McQueen was in it!  We didn't know WHO all those other guys were in it, but the movie was so damned good it became a lifelong favorite.  :)

Me and another guy in another forum have been PM-ing a discussion about LONESOME DOVE.  It too, is  favorite of the two of us, who also both read the book a few years before some ingenious individual thought to turn it into a miniseries and gathered what was the PERFECT cast for it.  I give it TEN out of four stars!  ;)

Sepiatone

In fact, the MAIN reason me and my friends went to see "The Magnificent Seven" in the FIRST place was that because McQueen was in it!  We didn't know WHO all those other guys were in it, but the movie was so damned good it became a lifelong favorite.  

You didn't know who Yul Brynner was? 

• Like 1