Princess of Tap

Jim Crow Confederate Monuments Go Down in America

557 posts in this topic

I just thought angels, saints were in stain glass.

It's interesting that in every Catholic Church, they have some kind of representation of the Stations of the Cross.

If you've ever been to Las Vegas, maybe you've seen the Catholic Church near Las Vegas Boulevard.

They have the Stations of the Cross in their beautiful stained glass windows.

In a PBS documentary once I heard that despite the reputation that Las Vegas has in the country at large, they actually have a great many churches in the city that are well attended.

A cousin of mine move to Vegas 15 years ago and once told me that too, Princess.  It does surprise a lot of people.

And not entirely connected, but I could find no related thread, there's now a big flap here inDetroit about KID ROCK kicking off the opening of the new LITTLE CAESAR'S  hockey arena with a string of concerts.  The main complaint being that he was noted for having a huge Confederate flag draped behind his set during shows.  But his "people" claim that he quit displaying it back in 2011.

I'm not a fan and have never been to any Kid Rock concerts past that point, so I don't know how true it might be.

Or not....

Sepiatone

• Like 1

A cousin of mine move to Vegas 15 years ago and once told me that too, Princess. It does surprise a lot of people.

And not entirely connected, but I could find no related thread, there's now a big flap here inDetroit about KID ROCK kicking off the opening of the new LITTLE CAESAR'S hockey arena with a string of concerts. The main complaint being that he was noted for having a huge Confederate flag draped behind his set during shows. But his "people" claim that he quit displaying it back in 2011.

I'm not a fan and have never been to any Kid Rock concerts past that point, so I don't know how true it might be.

Or not....

Sepiatone

I barely know who Kid Rock is, but I've seen him a couple of times on TV and he plays good rock and roll-- I think it was a tribute to Jerry Lee.

In all fairness to Kid Rock, he looks like somebody who's been drugged out a long time and may not even know really what's going on, or where he is.

But I suppose you could say the same thing about Ted Nugent, except Nugent doesn't even play good rock and roll-- just a lot of loud noise because I heard he was Deaf from shooting all those guns.

When all is said and done, Kid Rock doesn't seem like the kind of guy to be hanging out in Detroit or any place on the East Coast. LOL

I barely know who Kid Rock is, but I've seen him a couple of times on TV and he plays good rock and roll-- I think it was a tribute to Jerry Lee.

In all fairness to Kid Rock, he looks like somebody who's been drugged out a long time and may not even know really what's going on, or where he is.

But I suppose you could say the same thing about Ted Nugent, except Nugent doesn't even play good rock and roll-- just a lot of loud noise because I heard he was Deaf from shooting all those guns.

When all is said and done, Kid Rock doesn't seem like the kind of guy to be hanging out in Detroit or any place on the East Coast. LOL

Kid Rock started out as a really bad white rapper in the style of Vanilla Ice -

kidrockjive.jpg

But when that approach went nowhere, he re-invented himself as a drug-dealing rednek party thug. He said his nickname was the "Brown Trucker" for the amount of heroin he smuggled. I'm not sure if this was during his white rapper days or when he was supposed to be this outlaw drug hero.

kid-rock-approvedjpg.jpg?w=625&h=352&cro

His new music style was the then-trendy rap-rock hybrid, one of the worst phases in rock music history. His individual spin was that he was proudly and gloriously trashy, often appearing drunk and dirty. This endeared him to a certain audience that tended to be mostly rural, southern, and white, and Kid Rock started adding both confederate flags and US flags to his stage set-ups. His music started becoming more self-serious, and he started to more closely resemble country music artists like Toby Keith, with the attendant ultra-patriotic conservative macho posturing. 

kid-rock-american-flag.jpg

Kid Rock started out as a really bad white rapper in the style of Vanilla Ice -

kidrockjive.jpg

His hair could be adopted in other cultures for the ease of carrying food. ;)

841-02903385em-young-girl-carrying-plate

Yeah Lawrence (about Kid Rock), but ya gotta admit the hick's, err, I mean the Kid's music is REALLY original, ya know.

(...I mean, who else could have thought of stealing from both Warren Zevon AND Alabama to come up with their biggest hit recording, RIGHT?!!)

LOL

Well, Kid IS a Michigan boy( born in Romeo, MI) whose career started in Detroit and so there are many who think his shows at Caesar's arena are a fitting event.  But one thing I can't find out:

A few months ago it was announced that it would be BOB SEGER that would be the first concert event at the new arena.  Now, it's Kid Rock.  I can't find out when and why that changed. 

For what it's worth( which ain't much) I'm not fond of the Kid's stuff either.

And BTW---Nugent's probably deaf because he's long performed without earplugs with his amps cranked up to 11.  ;)

Sepiatone

What you know a big-shot Hollywood liberal who actually grew up in Kentucky.

Don't forget Ashley Judd!

5b2253f5b61e40211e7444fcb3cec803.jpg

45]Qui7iaJQ_bigger.jpgMedia MattersVerified account @mmfa

More

Fox's Brian Kilmeade equates confederate statues with 9/11 memorials, asks if people will try to take them down

022114_foxextra_kilmeade_640.jpg

And this poor man is horribly confused.

The 9-11 terrorists sought to destroy the United States of America and murder and terrorize Americans--

the Confederacy DID the same thing.

• Like 1

220px-Stone_Mountain_Carving_2.jpg

Carving and the Ku Klux Klan[edit]

The revival of the Ku Klux Klan was emboldened by the release of D. W. Griffith's Klan-glorifying film The Birth of a Nation,[9] and coincided with the August 1915 lynching of Leo Frank. On November 25 of the same year, a small group, including fifteen robed and hooded "charter members" of the new organization, met at Stone Mountain to create a new iteration of the Klan. They were led by William J. Simmons, and included two elderly members of the original Klan. As part of their ceremony, they burned a crude cross.[10]

Fundraising for the monument resumed in 1923. In October of that year, Venable granted the Klan easement with perpetual right to hold celebrations as they desired.[11] The influence of the UDC continued, in support of Mrs. Plane's vision of a carving explicitly for the purpose of creating a Confederate memorial. The UDC established the Stone Mountain Confederate Memorial Association (SMCMA) for fundraising and on-site supervision of the project. Venable and Gutzon Borglum, who were both closely associated with the Klan, arranged to pack the SMCMA with Klan members.[12] The SMCMA, along with the United Daughters of the Confederacy continued fundraising efforts. Of the $250,000 raised, part came from the federal government, which in 1925 issued special fifty-cent coins with the soldiers Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson on them.[13] The image on the verso of the coin was based upon 'The Last Meeting of Lee and Jackson'[14] executed in 1869 by Everett B. D. Fabrino Julio (American, b. St Helina 1843 – 1879, emigrated to US 1860) itself an icon of 'Lost Cause' mythology, now Museum of the Confederacy, Richmond VA. [15] When the state completed the purchase in 1960, it condemned the property to remove Venable's agreement to allow the Klan perpetual right to hold meetings on the premises.[12]

220px-Stone_Mountain_Carving_2.jpg

Carving and the Ku Klux Klan[edit]

The revival of the Ku Klux Klan was emboldened by the release of D. W. Griffith's Klan-glorifying film The Birth of a Nation,[9] and coincided with the August 1915 lynching of Leo Frank.

Except that Frank's lynching had nothing to do with the Klan. He was convicted of murdering a young girl who worked in his factory in Atlanta, and he was sentenced to death. Governor Slaton of Georgia,who sensed a frameup, commuted the sentence, but Frank was taken from his cell and lynched. The fact that Frank was a jew probably played a large part in his death, but this event was not Klan-related.

I don't know why wikipedia would even try to haphazardly connect the events as they did by using the phrase "coincided with," but it just goes to show why I never allowed my students to use that website as a resource for their papers.

45]vPxbJicr_bigger.jpgHuffPost PoliticsVerified account @HuffPostPol

More

Most Americans oppose white supremacists, but many share their views: poll http://huffp.st/fN0yhz3

DJ0MxKWVAAEkRAr.jpg

This is something only a complete twit would do and unfortunately he is the president of the Untied States. Can you image the 'Bengazi' like outrage if a woman such as Hillary Clinton did such a thing. The bar is fathoms below sea level for the presidency right now.

45]

45]-EiqoNpc_bigger.jpgWesley LoweryVerified account @WesleyLowery

More

16th Street Baptist Church bombing in Birmingham, killing 4 beautiful little girls, was 54 years ago today http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/churches/archives1.htm

DJxRJAsX0AAAgMh.jpg

This is the Legacy and the Heritage of the Confederacy--

The ugly results of Jim Crow.

This happened 54 years ago-- dylann roofs black church Massacre happened

2 years ago.

When will the vestiges of Jim Crow stop giving such violent fruit?

The four little girls who died 54 years ago were murdered by 4 Ku Klux Klan members. Another little girl, whose sister was killed, had serious injuries but survived, losing one of her eyes.

Prior to the shooting the governor of Alabama, George Wallace, suggested that integration could be stopped with a few good funerals.

There was great unknown potential amongst these little girls. A close friend of theirs became the First American Black Woman to be the US Secretary of State.

That was Condoleezza Rice, who will forever be haunted by this

white supremacist crime.

45]e2lC561s_bigger.jpegMatt Slotnick@matt_slotnick

More

you know what's actually pretty disrespectful to the american flag? the confederate flag

The Dead Confederacy and all of its white supremacist paraphernalia displayed in the public space stands against the United States Constitution and the basic American principle of equal rights for all Americans.

There's no honor in Treason.

45]kFQxCZH-_bigger.jpgKurt EichenwaldVerified account @kurteichenwald

More

Im not sure why ppl who wave the flag of America's Confederate traitors are also the ones raging about protests during the national anthem.

They're obviously very conflicted people and in their position I don't think they have any right to lecture others on American patriotism.

The so-called "patriotic" NASCAR people do not take the knee for the national anthem.

No, instead they salute the insurrectionist anti- American flag of the Confederacy. That is not patriotism that is treason.

The so-called "patriotic" NASCAR people do not take the knee for the national anthem.

No, instead they salute the insurrectionist anti- American flag of the Confederacy. That is not patriotism that is treason.

what about General Lee?

:D

3bf42a0ec64d44b2114be07731584701.jpg