Princess of Tap

Jim Crow Confederate Monuments Go Down in America

557 posts in this topic

The Confederate flag controversy sure did backfire.  They did remove about a dozen or so of flags from government buildings but the sales have skyrocketed.

How did it backfire? Show me where anyone called for private citizens to not own Confederate flags. As far as I know, it was a call for government or taxpayer funded sites to lose them.

The same article says, "Amazon, Walmart, Etsy, eBay and Sears have already placed a ban on the sale of the flag on their stores while Google has already removed any depictions of the flag on their [sites}" so it looks like some progress was made there, too.

• Like 1

The Confederate flag controversy sure did backfire. They did remove about a dozen or so of flags from government buildings but the sales have skyrocketed.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/confederate-flag-sales-skyrocket-after-charlottesville-protests-196906/

Ham,

It's not against the law for an individual to own a Confederate flag or a swastika. I never heard of it being against the law for an individual to place that Confederate flag or a swastika on their vehicle or someplace on their private property.

The issue has to do with public space-- as in everybody's paying taxes to support that space.

And I imagine that some people who support trump ran out and bought quite a few Confederate flags when the issue became even more popular.

Maybe some even bought some swastikas after trump's Charlottesville's press conference in Trump Tower.

BTW--I would say privately-owned and displayed Confederate flags and swastikas are quite safely legal and popular in my neck of the woods. LOL

45]qUAsB6BZ_bigger.jpgShareblue MediaVerified account @Shareblue

More

Interior Secretary Zinke claims removing Confederate statues would be offensive to "Native Indians" https://shareblue.com/interior-secretary-ryan-zinke-uses-native-americans-as-excuse-to-protect-racist-monuments/ By @fawfulfan

zinkeryan_071816gn_lead.jpg?itok=h-te-IT

I wasn't aware that Native Americans owned slaves and I wasn't aware that Native Americans were supporters and active white supremacists.

Some Native Americans owned slaves, as did some free blacks, but the

overwhelming majority of slave owners in the U.S. were whites. Not sure

the headline is totally accurate as Zinke's main claim is that Native Americans

might be offended by statues of Grant and Sherman, not that they would

be offended by the removal of Confederate statues.

Some Native Americans owned slaves, as did some free blacks, but the

overwhelming majority of slave owners in the U.S. were whites. Not sure

the headline is totally accurate as Zinke's main claim is that Native Americans

might be offended by statues of Grant and Sherman, not that they would

be offended by the removal of Confederate statues.

I've always marveled at how the same Union Officers and soldiers who helped free the black Americans, then dug in and did genocide on the Native Americans.

Sadly I think that included the legendary Buffalo Soldiers from Kansas as well, who although were adversaries of the Native Americans, were much admired by those same people who named them.

( I watched "Sergeant Rutledge", as a kid --that was the first time I ever saw a black man in the movie calvary. But I do remember that Sammy Davis jr. Played a Gunga Din type role in the Rat Pack's "Sergeants 3" with Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Joey Bishop and the ever Technicolor handsome Peter Lawford.)

I wasn't aware that Native Americans owned slaves and I wasn't aware that Native Americans were supporters and active white supremacists.

Native Indians?  Aren't those the people who were born in India?  This is in response to the post by jakeem that POT transferred to the this thread and then commented upon with the above.

Interior Secretary Zinke claims removing Confederate statues would be offensive to "Native Indians" https://shareblue.com/interior-secretary-ryan-zinke-uses-native-americans-as-excuse-to-protect-racist-monuments/  By @fawfulfan

The Cherokee in NC and SC for one owned African-American slaves.  Native Americans also practiced slavery before white men came to America.

45]u-pOmQVI_bigger.jpgJ.K. RowlingVerified account @jk_rowling

More

Hell of a day for the President to forget how to tweet.

DHCsSnkXsAIwf9N.jpg

45]jiPHasvn_bigger.jpgJohn DingellVerified account @JohnDingell

More

I signed up to fight Nazis 73 years ago and I'll do it again if I have to. Hatred, bigotry, & fascism should have no place in this country.

45]

45]HDDcZEYN_bigger.jpgDavid Duke@DrDavidDuke

More

David Duke Retweeted Donald J. Trump

I would recommend you take a good look in the mirror & remember it was White Americans who put you in the presidency, not radical leftists.

We're at the two month anniversary of the Unholy Alliance of white supremacy in the Charlottesville alt-right riot--

Confederates, neo-Nazis, Ku Klux Klan joined in the unite the right rally to fight the removal of the Jim Crow Confederate statues-- spurred on by the tacit support of trump.

All of these racist white supremacist groups deserve each other, but I doubt that we will ever see again either The Reincarnation of

the white supremacist Southern Confederacy or

the aryan Third Reich.

We're at the two month anniversary of the Unholy Alliance of white supremacy in the Charlottesville alt-right riot--

Confederates, neo-Nszis, Ku Klux Klan joined in the unite the right rally to fight the removal of the Jim Crow Confederate statues-- spurred on by the tacit support of trump.

All of these racist white supremacist groups deserve each other, but I doubt that we will ever see again either The Reincarnation of

the white supremacist Southern Confederacy or

the Aryan Third Reich.

and yet when was the last time that predominately white thugs rioted and destroyed businesses in any major american metropolitan or urban center?

ferguson?

baltimore?

and yet when was the last time that predominately white thugs rioted and destroyed businesses in any major american metropolitan or urban center?

ferguson?

baltimore?

Sunday, October 1st, 2017

Las Vegas Nevada--

58 persons murdered, 500 persons wounded

By 1 lone white man with an arsenal of weaponry.

Sometimes it only takes one person to create mass murder, chaos and destruction.

This event will be called forevermore:

"The Las Vegas Massacre".

I've always marveled at how the same Union Officers and soldiers who helped free the black Americans, then dug in and did genocide on the Native Americans.

Sadly I think that included the legendary Buffalo Soldiers from Kansas as well, who although were adversaries of the Native Americans, were much admired by those same people who named them.

( I watched "Sergeant Rutledge", as a kid --that was the first time I ever saw a black man in the movie calvary. But I do remember that Sammy Davis jr. Played a Gunga Din type role in the Rat Pack's "Sergeants 3" with Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Joey Bishop and the ever Technicolor handsome Peter Lawford.)

I also find that ironic and sad.     But look at what is going on in Myanmar with world justice hero Aung San Suu Kyi deciding to just look the other way.

• Like 2

Ham, before you take this the wrong way, let me say that the attempted intimidation and physical threats against the reenactors is inexcusable and I totally condemn any such actions.

Now, with that being said, I have to comment on that second site that you linked, that purports to be a news site. This line struck me as quite amusing, and I'm sure many a veteran reporter/journalist would roll their eyes at it :

"It’s impossible to get the story straight because there is almost no reporting on it." 

Shouldn't it be the job of the reporters at the website to get the story straight? Why are they looking for other people to do the work for them? This is what news reporting has become: repeating what someone else, somewhere else already reported, instead of putting boots to the ground or mouth to the phone and doing the research and investigation themselves. 

I also chuckled at this sentence:

The reenactors have not evacuated. They are living historians and important contributors to the preservation of history.

This is editorializing, instead of reporting. Opinion, not fact. Blending the two indiscriminately is part of the problem with today's media.

Hopefully they're not reenacting owning black American slaves too--

beating and whipping and terrorizing the black men, while rapingthe black women.

Unfortunately the white supremacist-white racist Breitbart tone set by the current presidential Administration doesn't do much to improve race relations in the United States of America.

Hopefully they're not reenacting owning black American slaves too--

beating and whipping and terrorizing the black men, while rapingthe black women.

Unfortunately the white supremacist-white racist Breitbart tone set by the current presidential Administration doesn't do much to improve race relations in the United States of America.

And I'm accused of posting silly replies. :wacko:

• Like 1

Perhaps there could be an "amusement" park for the confederately

nostalgic--call it Dixieland. Separate drinking fountains and bathrooms,

whites only restaurants, 3-D lawn jockeys for sale in the gift shop, etc.

Just like the post 1940s world never happened. 

• Like 1

I still see a couple of those "lawn decorations" around, never gave them much thought.  Be surprise who sells them. :blink:

http://shenandoahcastings.com/waynes-jockeys/

There's even a Hillary lawn jockey - makes a great scarecrow. :lol:

5494010826_a0f105479d_b.jpg

They could also have a beautiful whites only Motion Picture theater that showed DW Griffith's Birth of a Nation everyday.

Then in line with history, the audience could go outside and view an authentic wax rendition of a lynching,like the ones that occurred after this movie was viewed.

The crazed white racist Klan and their supporters could be beautifully etched in wax, while the wax figure of an unfortunate black man would be scorched and half naked hanging from a tree.

This would be a lot more exciting than those Civil War reenactments and a lot safer in that no real guns would be used.