Princess of Tap

Jim Crow Confederate Monuments Go Down in America

557 posts in this topic

I haven't seen an old-fashioned lawn jockey statue in decades.

Maybe they'll make a comeback. It's part of the "heritage."

I haven't seen an old-fashioned lawn jockey statue in decades.

Maybe they'll make a comeback. It's part of the "heritage."

And they never went away Northeast Kansas and Western Missouri. The people who owned them just painted their faces a bright, light fresh pink color.

Jack Henry's, a famous men's clothing store in Kansas City, had a lawn jockey as its mascot in front of the door on the Country Club Plaza for decades. The store closed several years ago after 83 years in business.

I took the virtual tour of the Jim Crow Museum. They actually were showing the manacles and chains that were used on black American slaves.

It reminded me of the spike studded collar that I saw at the Chicago History Museum that was used on a black male slave.

When you actually see these objects, it gives you a clear idea of what slavery must have been like. I think even in the 19th century they didn't put things like that on domestic dogs and horses.

The object of the Jim Crow Museum is to utilize racist objects and paraphernalia to better explain racism in America throughout the last two centuries to teach tolerance and social justice.

Many (at the time) Virginians hated slavery much as John Brown.  It is the only state known to split.

(Time will tell with California) :unsure:

Map-of-WV-1863-LC.jpg

Many (at the time) Virginians hated slavery much as John Brown.  It is the only state known to split.

While many in VA may have been opposed to slavery, they did not hate it as much as John Brown did.  After all, the VA courts tried, convicted and executed John Brown with little or no opposition from the people.

Slavery was not a major issue in why WV left VA.  The western counties of VA had wanted to separate for many years before the Civil War, but that is not allowed by the US Constitution.   They just did not want to be a part of VA.  

WV (nee Kanawa) was created when WV secessionists decided to hold a convention and then a vote.  Since the Union troops controlled most of WV, they were able to influence the vote.  In addition, most of the people who supported VA being a part of the Confederacy boycotted the vote since it was viewed as an election sponsored by the US government.  Many of the WV counties actually voted in favor of VA's secession from the US.

Whoever depicted that drawing is trying to equate the violent totalitarian authority of slavery with the violent totalitarian authority of the Russian government with the pogroms in relationship to the Jewish population in Russia who were terrorized by the Czar's soldiers.

Violent pogroms against the Russian Jews was well depicted in the film

Fiddler on the Roof.

California should split into 2 or 3 states but NOT because of differences in politics but to gain more power at the Federal level (e.g. additional Senators).   

While there are some conservative districts in CA they are spread out between the north and south and therefore it isn't possible for the conservative districts to form their own state (well if they wish to have common borders with fellow districts).

California should split into 2 or 3 states but NOT because of differences in politics but to gain more power at the Federal level (e.g. additional Senators).   

While there are some conservative districts in CA they are spread out between the north and south and therefore it isn't possible for the conservative districts to form their own state (well if they wish to have common borders with fellow districts).

What about Texas, Florida, New York and maybe a couple of more?

Of course it will never happen as the populations of the  "new" states would have to agree to it and then the populations of the losing states would have to agree to it as well. 

What about Texas, Florida, New York and maybe a couple of more?

Of course it will never happen as the populations of the  "new" states would have to agree to it and then the populations of the losing states would have to agree to it as well. 

Not sure what you mean by 'losing states',   but if you mean that other smaller population states would never agree that a large state can become two or more states,   then I agree.    Smaller states wouldn't agree because they know adding additional states dilutes their power.  

E.g. North Dakota.   They have 2 Senators and a population less then the city of Anaheim CA (where Walt Disney built Disneyland).

Not sure what you mean by 'losing states',   but if you mean that other smaller population states would never agree that a large state can become two or more states,   then I agree.    Smaller states wouldn't agree because they know adding additional states dilutes their power.  

E.g. North Dakota.   They have 2 Senators and a population less then the city of Anaheim CA (where Walt Disney built Disneyland).

While I see your point here James, I don't know where you're getting your figures here, as Wiki says the entire state of North Dakota's population is presently approximately 758,000, and whereas the city of Anaheim, California's 10th largest in population, is less than half that figure at approximately 336,000.

Now, the city of San Francisco, California's 4th most populous city after L.A., Sandy Eggo(sorry, couldn't resist) and San Jose, with approximately 865,000, IS a little more than all of North Dakota's.

(...didn't know I was so into Statistics, did ya) ;)

No, losing state is the original one.  As in current CA population would have to agree to let new "Other CA" be created.  Of course, this probably could be done by act of legislature, but not sure.

Other states would have no say in it.  Of course, Congress would have to recognize the new state and that might get dicey.

No, losing state is the original one.  As in current CA population would have to agree to let new "Other CA" be created.  Of course, this probably could be done by act of legislature, but not sure.

Other states would have no say in it.  Of course, Congress would have to recognize the new state and that might get dicey.

Thanks for the clarity.     There could be a 'losing state' from an economic POV;  E.g. now that there is two states, one of the states has a lot less wealth (say per capita) than the other.    But in terms of political power each states gains in all areas (e.g. more direct control over local politics and of course more power in DC in the Senate as well as the E.C.). 

While I see your point here James, I don't know where you're getting your figures here, as Wiki says the entire state of North Dakota's population is presently approximately 758,000, and whereas the city of Anaheim, California's 10th largest in population, is less than half that figure at approximately 336,000.

Now, the city of San Francisco, California's 4th most populous city after L.A., Sandy Eggo(sorry, couldn't resist) and San Jose, with approximately 865,000, IS a little more than all of North Dakota's.

(...didn't know I was so into Statistics, did ya) ;)

Thanks for the correction.   

Thanks for the correction.   

No problem, sir. You're quite welcome.

(...ya see, with all this "fake news" goin' around lately, I just didn't want you to unwittingly contribute to it, that's all) ;)

LOL

Since this is a predominantly black populated school and since Jefferson Davis thought all black people should remain illiterate slaves, I think we can safely assume that Jefferson Davis would want his name taken off this educational institution as well. LOL

Since this is a predominantly black populated school and since Jefferson Davis thought all black people should remain illiterate slaves, I think we can assume that Jefferson Davis would want his name taken off this educational institution as well. LOL

his commitment to national and border security was elementary. :lol: