Princess of Tap

Jim Crow Confederate Monuments Go Down in America

557 posts in this topic

Another classic case of a segregationist Southern governor eating cheese when faced with federal intervention was Mississippi's Ross Barnett in September 1962. When Ole Miss was ordered to admit black student James Meredith, Barnett preached defiance. And he even showed up at an Ole Miss football game in Jackson, declaring: "I love Mississippi! I love her people, our customs...I love and I respect our heritage."

Years later, we found out about a very different Barnett when tapes of his phone conversations with JFK were released.

• Like 1

Just as a matter of information.  It is Confederate Memorial Day in S.C., a state holiday.  

Just as a matter of information.  It is Confederate Memorial Day in S.C., a state holiday.  

Well, that will probably be the next to go.

Well, that will probably be the next to go.

Not in our life times.  For a little history.  Confederate Memorial Day, Jefferson Davis' birthday and Robert E. Lee's birthday were state holidays for many decades.  Then state let employees pick one between the three and added Martin Luther King's birthday.  Ironically, even among Blacks, CMD remained very popular as it comes in May.

Then when pressure mounted for a stand alone MLK Day, the government created it, but also made CMD a stand alone day and eliminated the other two.

Not in our life times.  For a little history.  Confederate Memorial Day, Jefferson Davis' birthday and Robert E. Lee's birthday were state holidays for many decades.  Then state let employees pick one between the three and added Martin Luther King's birthday.  Ironically, even among Blacks, CMD remained very popular as it comes in May.

Then when pressure mounted for a stand alone MLK Day, the government created it, but also made CMD a stand alone day and eliminated the other two.

Ah yes. The day Lana Turner was murdered.

(...in of course her very first movie role as Mary Clay in 1937's THEY WON'T FORGET, that is)

Not in our life times. For a little history. Confederate Memorial Day, Jefferson Davis' birthday and Robert E. Lee's birthday were state holidays for many decades. Then state let employees pick one between the three and added Martin Luther King's birthday. Ironically, even among Blacks, CMD remained very popular as it comes in May.

You never know--sometimes something backward and retro can change overnight.

Funny, what you just said is exactly what Strom Thurmond and many others said about Dixie segregation in the late 1950s and early 60s.

But I lived to see that changed before 1970.

On ne sait jamais.

Funny, what you just said is exactly what Strom Thurmond and many others said about Dixie segregation in the late 1950s and early 60s.

On ne sait jamais.

what's the real problem today in america?

out of control urban street mayhem or...

confederate memorial statuary which has been standing since the early decades of the 20th century?

democrats and progressives sure have their priorities straight.

what's the real problem today in america?

out of control urban street mayhem or...

confederate memorial statuary which has been standing since the early decades of the 20th century?

democrats and progressives sure have their priorities straight.

Racism

The New Orleans Monument to Jefferson Davis has come down today, May 11th 2017.

The monument to the Confederacy's first and last president had been on display for 116 years.

As city workers removed the monument, a handful of Confederate supporters chanted, "President Davis".

Dozens of others who had protested the Confederate Monument cheered as it went down. Some were singing the 1969 hit song by Steam--

" Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye".

The Robert E Lee Monument is scheduled to go down next.

Source: The Washington Post, May 11, 2017

On ne sait jamais.

The difference is state holidays are determined by state legislatures.  Desegregation was a national issue and decided by the US Supreme Court and enforced by the Federal government.  Even then it was not actually implemented until Lyndon Johnson pushed the US Congress to pass the enabling legislation to make it happen.  Both the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act (now practically eliminated by GOP in Congress) were passed under LBJ.

Ironically, the court case that eventually became Brown vs. Board of Education actually began in S.C. (Briggs v. Elliott).  It became a Kansas case because Brown v. Topeka Board of Education got to Supreme Court first and other four state cases were combined with it.

I don't see a president or Congressional majority taking on what each state decides are holidays.

Incidentally, as part of the deal to take down the Confederate Battle Flag (a move I agreed with), the state legislature passed a law that 2/3 vote of House and Senate are required to change, alter, move, remove, etc. any monument, memorial, etc. such as those for the Confederacy.  I think CMD may be part of that.

Not to say it may not change, but no time soon.

Sorry, flunked French in high school.

saving America by removing confederate statuary?

:huh:

whether right or wrong, white southerners will interpret this as ideological hostility coming from supposedly tolerant all-inclusive liberals. :wub:

feel their love. :lol:

whether right or wrong, white southerners will interpret this as ideological hostility coming from supposedly tolerant all-inclusive liberals. 

As a white southerner I would suggest that you are full of ****.

I was born and raised in the backwoods of the Deep South, and that Confederate garbage can't come down fast enough. 

• Like 1

Cid--

You never know has virtually the same meaning as On ne sait jamais.

As far as the Confederacy is concerned and Confederate monuments or Confederate holidays - - it's time some Americans stop looking in the rearview mirror because the world now is looking at us in the rearview mirror. We need to start going forward into progress and the future.

All this Confederacy crap belongs in a museum and in school textbooks so that our children know all about this, so that they don't repeat our past mistakes.- -

We need to get on with the real world and the real progress we can make once we put all this racism behind us.

The Robert E Lee Monument is scheduled to go down next.

Source: The Washington Post, May 11, 2017

But will Lee Circle still be called Lee Circle?

But will Lee Circle still be called Lee Circle?

But the real question is as they are standing around Lee Circle tearing down the Robert E Lee Monument will the band be playing:

"Waiting For The Robert E Lee"?

• Like 1

As a white southerner I would suggest that you are full of ****.

I was born and raised in the backwoods of the Deep South, and that Confederate garbage can't come down fast enough. 

But could Nip be right that a majority will feel that way?    What percentage of white southerners "will interpret this as ideological hostility coming from supposedly tolerant all-inclusive liberals"? 

I have no idea but if it includes most that voted for Trump it would be in the 40 - 50 percentage range.

But could Nip be right that a majority will feel that way?    What percentage of white southerners "will interpret this as ideological hostility coming from supposedly tolerant all-inclusive liberals"? 

I have no idea but if it includes most that voted for Trump it would be in the 40 - 50 percentage range.

Maybe in the rural areas. The South has many urban areas that went blue in the last election. And there will be idiots and fools in every population group.

Maybe in the rural areas. The South has many urban areas that went blue in the last election. And there will be idiots and fools in every population group.

Of course the South has many urban areas,  but Trump still won most, if not all (I don't recall since I'm trying hard to put that election behind me,  ha ha) of the Southern states,  which means Trump won a majority of the votes.  

Anyhow,  it would be nice if it was only a small minority of Southern whites that are idiots and fools.

Truly amazing breaking news--

In one of his last acts as French President, François Hollande, with the newly-elected French President by his side, Emmanuel Macron, has announced a national foundation dedicated to creating a memorial and a museum to honor the victims of French slavery --during a speech commemorating the abolition of slavery.

Slavery was abolished in France in 1848 again, although it had originally been abolished at the time of the French Revolution.

(And Here we are on this thread, arguing about monuments to slavery, when the French people are putting up a memorial to the victims of slavery.)

With the debunking and thorough beating of the far-right, anti-Semitic National Front by the people of France last Sunday, along with this nation's dedication to a memorial for slaves--

The French are trying to take responsibility for past errors and stay true to their belief in democracy and freedom, while fighting international terrorism at home and abroad.

Source: France 24

• Like 1

(And Here we are on this thread, arguing about monuments to slavery, when the French people are putting up a memorial to the victims of slavery.)

Well,  you started this thread.

Regardless, the monuments here are not to slavery.  The monuments in question are for something far more complex.

For your information, S.C. has had a memorial monument on the state house grounds for African-Americans, to include their slavery, since 2001.

I assume you also support the leveling and total elimination of Ft. Sumter, Vicksburg Military Park and any similar locations in the South.  Maybe even the North.

Remove all the statues and monuments to Confederate soldiers or the states of the Confederacy at Gettysburg and other national and state parks 

Next we should destroy all the old slave markets that have been turned into museums, such as in Charleston, S.C. 

Then we level all the state capitol buildings in the South that were built before 1865.  Then we level the US capitol in Washington.

Then we take down the statues of Washington, Jefferson, Grant and other slave owners.

Incidentally, I fly the US and SC flags on my front porch.  I do not and never have flown the flags of the Confederacy.  I do not have any kind of flag or similar decals on any of my cars.

Perhaps if you spent more time on American history and less on your beloved France, you would understand this.

• Like 2

As the Confederate monuments go down--what's next?

As The Monuments to the lost cause of the Confederacy go down in New Orleans, there is still controversy about their relevance and what to do with them.

"I don't want to see them moved period," said JC Hanna, Commander of the Louisiana division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. "I don't know of anywhere else in New Orleans they could be put where they'd have a place of respect."

The Jefferson Davis statue was taken down on May 11.

Not surprising black citizens of New Orleans have a different opinion about the Confederate statues.

" There's an idea that (they) represent Southern Heritage. I just guess for someone who wants to believe that, it must be real. It certainly is not the case for a good percentage of the population," said Marcus Cox, a professor at Xavier University in New Orleans, specializing in African American Civil and military history.

Mr Cox was on the faculty of The Citadel in June 2015 when Dylann Roof killed nine people at the Emmanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church about 3 miles from the military academy's campus in Charleston South Carolina.

The racially motivated shooting prompted a nationwide protest against Confederate symbols.

Thomas Payne, the executive director of Beauvoir, the Confederate Presidential Library and estate of Jefferson Davis in Biloxi Mississippi, has shown some interest in receiving the Confederate statues.

Source: The New Orleans Times-Picayune, May 12, 2017