Sign in to follow this  
mrsl

Your fave way to watch

52 posts in this topic

What is your favorite way to watch classic movies? I like to be alone to ensure hearing all the dialog, sometimes even re-worked films have a mottled sound, or background music can drown out the dialog, or laughter. So my question is do you watch:

Alone - with a group of classic fan friends to discuss it later - at revival theaters - just you and your significant other - in the afternoon - only on weekends - or at night, or late night.

There are a lot of suggestions, what's your preference?

Anne

Hi Anne!

Because not too many of my friends/family like them, I usually watch them alone, at least at first viewing. When a friend comes over they have no choice because it's all I'll play ( :) ) and so I get to infect them with the "classic bug" occasionally. But it's mostly just me, and in the late evenings and weekends mostly.

Being in NYC, there are more opportunities to see them on the big screen at various revival houses and retrospectives, but I'm ashamed to admit I scarcely ever do unless I hear of a Huge Favorite being screened. Last Friday I was all set to see James Cromwell introduce one of his father's old pre-codes at the Film Forum, but then I got sick. I also got sick when I was supposed to see John Wayne in The Searchers so I'm starting to wonder.... Lol!

Miss G

Hi Anne!

Because not too many of my friends/family like them, I usually watch them alone, at least at first viewing. When a friend comes over they have no choice because it's all I'll play ( :) ) and so I get to infect them with the "classic bug" occasionally. But it's mostly just me, and in the late evenings and weekends mostly.

Being in NYC, there are more opportunities to see them on the big screen at various revival houses and retrospectives, but I'm ashamed to admit I scarcely ever do unless I hear of a Huge Favorite being screened. Last Friday I was all set to see James Cromwell introduce one of his father's old pre-codes at the Film Forum, but then I got sick. I also got sick when I was supposed to see John Wayne in The Searchers so I'm starting to wonder.... Lol!

Miss G

Mostly alone. My wife will watch with me and I love it when she discovers a movie. I really like it when my kids watch. I really like to watch for their reactions when I know there will be something coming I think they'll like. They're fun.

Anytime to watch is fine with me.

THE James Cromwell? How interesting. I had such a crush on that guy when he was on SFU. Neverrrrr knew his father directed pre-codes. Thanks MissGoddess for the enlightening information. Fascinating.

As to my favorite way to watch, what I taped that is, I never get to sit down long enough to watch a movie all the way through. I wasn't able to when I had TCM and am still not able. This is solely due to working too many hours and being too old to be able to stay awake.

So my solution is to watch the movies I've taped while I am taking a break from work and walking on my treadmill. Accomplishing two things at once that way.

Lately, though, I'm backed up with SFU tapes since they've started them on BRAVO. One of the best show in television history (along with Homicide) and the only show I watch consistently on television right now.

As to my tapes, and how brilliant of me to foresee the day when my TCM was ripped from me by the crooks at Cablevision (after being burned by AMC), I have enough movies taped to walk from here to CA and back. :)

Last Friday I was all set to see James Cromwell introduce one of his father's old pre-codes at the Film Forum, but then I got sick. I also got sick when I was supposed to see John Wayne in The Searchers so I'm starting to wonder.... Lol!

So sorry to hear that... well at least those pre-codes will be showing on TCM soon.

Yes, James' father was John Cromwell, who directed several famous classics, including Of Human Bondage (Bette), The Prisoner of Zenda (Colman), Made for Each Other, Since You Went Away, Abe Lincoln in Illinois, And So Ends Our Night, The Enchanted Cottage, and my favorite, Algiers.

I thought James was great in L.A. Confidential.Miss G

Hi, Anne,

I think I don't have any preference as to who I watch a classic with, or where I see it. I do, however, like to watch such films with my daughter, when I can, to help her put what she is seeing into historical context. Nowadays she's old enough to do the research to answer her own questions, but we still do watch a lot of what TCM shows together as well as apart.

One thing I do like to do is see a classic that I like multiple times so that I can fully appreciate all its elements - the performances, the script, the direction, the sets, etc. Just like re-reading a classic book, the really outstanding films show you something new each time you explore them. This is especially true of movies that I haven't seen since I was a girl. Most of them look entirely different to me now in terms of content and in appreciation of the actors. In those cases I either like them even more than before, or perhaps I begin to like one that I didn't like before. Of course, that works the other way too - some that I thought were so wonderful when I was younger say nothing to me now.

I don't object to watching movies with others, but if it's an "old" FAVORITE or a "new" discovery that intrigues me I prefer to watch it alone...especially if it's sad or so beautiful that it makes me cry. I don't like crying in front of people-even my partner. It's weird-there were years when I don't remember shedding a tear and now I can cry at the drop of a hat. What's up with that? Is it a "symptom" of middle age?

Alone on my recliner,late at night. I usually take a nap on Friday and Saturday, so I can stay up till the wee-hours....

vallo

> now I can cry at the drop of a

> hat. What's up with that? Is it a "symptom" of middle

> age?

Yes. I have a friend who said almost the exact same thing when we were talking about movies. The right commercial will do it too.

Friday night is movie night in my house. After taking my kids (ages 8 and 14) out to dinner we settle in to watch as many movies as we can stay awake for. So we all huddle up in the family room, my daughter (14) and I get the recliners and my son has to fend for himself (he usually makes a "fort" of pillows and comforters). We rotate whose turn it is to choose the movie(s). My daughter loves to make friendly wagers as to who will fall asleep first (usually her). It is my favorite night of the week and I've already informed both children that they are not allowed to grow up so much that we'd have to stop this tradition!

Practically always by myself. If I have a friend over I might have a Chaplin silent on in the background for something to do, but for the most part the people I know are not into classic film. Nor are they into scifi, which is my other hobby.

My friends (particularly my co-workers) know I'm into classic film though...and occasionally I get them interested enough in a film to give 'em a burned DVD of it. I don't watch it with them though - I just let them take it home and watch it on their own.

That really is a good way to share a bit of culture with your kids. Movies and TV are such powerful media, and they can teach so much, even when kids think it's only that they are being entertained. It's a crying shame that so many parents merely sit their kids in front of the TV without helping them to interpret what they are seeing. It's one of the reasons young people have such a disdain for the past - no one has helped to put things into context for them - they think the entire world started when they appeared on the scene. By the way - you may lose that tradition for a while as they get older, but I guarantee you they will want to keep it up with their own children (and they will probably come back to you for some group watching from time to time).

Good for you.

I usually watch classic films alone, since I don't know anyone who enjoys them as much as I do. Sometimes, like I did last night, I'll watch a movie after everyone has gone to bed since I have the T.V. to myself (yes, I'm also the only one in the family who stays up late). But when there is a movie on earlier that I want to watch, I usually have to go watch it in the another room so the rest of my family can watch something else. Which kind of stinks, because I prefer the big T.V., but whatever.

By the way, jdb1, I completely agree with you. I'm 16, and from what I know, probably only a handful of kids my age could tell me the name of a movie from the 1940s. All they seem to want to watch is The O.C., House, etc. etc. They really have no clue what they're missing.

...there were years when I don't remember shedding a tear and now I can cry at the drop of a hat.

Ditto! I was traumatized by my sixth-grade teacher about crying, so I cried only once between the ages of 12 and 28, not even at my dad's funeral. Pop in a Maggie O'Brien movie now, and I'm a blubbering idiot. Pretty embarrassing, just another reason I watch my movies alone, late at night. I also hate any distractions, never eating, sometimes even unplugging the refrigerator or turning off the heat/ac to keep it as quiet as possible.

idb1,

Thank you. Whereas there have certainly been times when I have been equally guilty of using television (or the computer, or videogames) as a mindless babysitter, I try to make it the exception, not the rule. Being a single Dad has certainly helped me focus my priorities on my kids, and I couldn't be happier. Movies can be a great bridge to bind the generations. The kids still laugh at me and think I'm making up stories when I try to convince them that there were only 4 or 5 channels on TV and that I had never heard of a video game or home computer when I was their age!

> idb1,

> Thank you. Whereas there have certainly been times

> when I have been equally guilty of using television

> (or the computer, or videogames) as a mindless

> babysitter, I try to make it the exception, not the

> rule.

Don't feel too guilty about using TV as a babysitter. The kids don't have to be in your face (and vice versa) all the time. I don't think a little down time on their own, even if it is in front of the TV, is a bad thing.

I hope you convince them once in a while to read books (or other reading matter) that relate to what they have watched. Many kids really don't know the pleasure of creating their own mental pictures. My own daughter is a TV production major in college and she has a particular favorite short story that she says she would like to produce some day -- in this case, the mental pictures came first.

idb1,

(Sorry to everyone else, I'm getting WAY off topic). Funny you should mention reading, it is always a struggle to get them to read as much as I'd like, but just this weekend my daughter read Of Mice and Men for the first time. It was entertaining having her tell me about it as though I had never read it. I think the classic movie version may be in our immediate future.

It is too bad that the Lewis Milestone version of Steinbeck's great work does not have an audio commentary.

Hmmm, let me see...my favorite way to watch a classic. Well, when I watch a classic, whether it's one I've seen or it's new to me, I prefer to watch it alone. My little ritual pretty simple actually. I just pick an evening around 8 o'clock, doesn't matter what evening since I'm homeschooled, turn the lights off and curl up in my bed with a piping hot cup of coffee. It's especially great when I have my favorite flavored coffee from Barnies. Lol.

Now and then though...I do like to watch a classic with my dad. We tend to like the same movies. I got to watch "Cool Hand Luke" for the first time on Sunday afternoon with my dad. It was very nice. Later tomorrow is playing "In Cold Blood" and my dad goes on and on about that movie whenever it's brought up, so I'm gonna see if he'll watch it with me, because I've never seen it before.