kjrwe

The Asphalt Jungle - Marilyn Monroe's character (spoilers)

28 posts in this topic

I was just thinking about the film The Asphalt Jungle and about Marilyn Monroe's character.

A couple of thoughts:

1. I don't think that she actually had sex with that lawyer. When they're together near the start of the film, she draws back from his kiss very quickly and walks to the bedroom, leaving behind a shoe which he picks up. At that point, he calls up his assistant and asks him to start collecting money from those who owed money to the lawyer. That doesn't work, so the lawyer decides to take part in the criminal scheme. I think he was convinced that it would take a lot of money to get the young blonde to have sex with him. Later, when he thinks he's off the hook, he talks to her about a vacation. She seems all excited, but then the cops come in and there goes his plan.

2. It sounds like the young woman had a date with that Riedenschneider fellow (the one who was just out of jail). He said that he was able to get some info from her about that lawyer. I find it a bit hard to believe that she would have gone out with him in the first place. She showed an interest in the lawyer because he offered her a house to live in, but the guy straight out of jail had nothing to give her. What on earth would she want with a guy like that? Besides, where did she meet him? At that point, she wouldn't have had connections to him since he barely knew the lawyer.

By the way, I love the way the commissioner finally brought her back to reality much later in the film.  :)

• Like 1

Oh, I think she did have sex with him.  It's just that they couldn't come right out and say it or show it due to the Production Code so they had to be subtle.  It's implicit, not explicit.

Great movie; one of my all-time favorites.  I just love it.

• Like 2

Oh, I think she did have sex with him.  It's just that they couldn't come right out and say it or show it due to the Production Code so they had to be subtle.  It's implicit, not explicit.

I agree,  she had sex with him,   but maybe not much kissing.    I.e. kissing is viewed as romantic in these type of 'relationships' while sex is, well,  just sex.     Kissing is NOT a requirement for the 'job' but sex clearly is.     (sorry for how this may come off to some but that is the reality).

• Like 2

I dunno. I just find it hard to believe that she was having sex with this guy. I know that they had to be subtle and indirect in those days about this topic, but I thought that they made it clear that he thought that he needed more money in order to get her laid. The way he looked after her as she walked to the bedroom....I got the impression that he realized at that time that she's extremely high-maintenance.

She was high maintenance and that was one reason he needed the money.  He wanted to keep her around, buy her things, go on trips.  Babes like that don't come cheap and if he wants to keep getting laid, it's going to cost (remember his wife is an invalid). A lot of older, wealthy, powerful men like "Uncle Lon"  keep a young "side piece", at least in film noir.  He's not keeping her around if he isn't getting something in return.  

• Like 1

Agree it was the code that prevented it being more blatant. 

She was high maintenance and that was one reason he needed the money.  He wanted to keep her around, buy her things, go on trips.  Babes like that don't come cheap and if he wants to keep getting laid, it's going to cost (remember his wife is an invalid). A lot of older, wealthy, powerful men like "Uncle Lon"  keep a young "side piece", at least in film noir.  He's not keeping her around if he isn't getting something in return.  

Hmm...good point. If he's not getting laid, he has no reason to keep letting her live there. Okay, he might have looked longingly at her as she walked to the bedroom because he wanted sex right then and there, while she wasn't in the mood. 

Alternatively, she might have been a new girlfriend and they hadn't had sex YET, and he was working his way up to it. She might have been one of those who needed to be taken on a vacation in order to have sex with him for the first time.

The thing is that he didn't have to keep around a high maintenance gal like this blonde in order to get laid. All he had to do was to go to certain streets in his city, pick up a woman, pay her...

Agree it was the code that prevented it being more blatant. 

...and I like the fact that it's open to interpretation.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if the issue was that they were having sex, but not as often as he would have liked? It's possible that it was happening often enough for him to keep her around, but maybe he started to wish that it could be happening every night.

I watched this film again tonight, and I'm convinced that it was completely unnecessary for Angela to have gone out with Doc. The date isn't actually shown in the film (Doc only talks about it), but I just don't see what Angela would have wanted with a penniless older guy just out of jail. The lawyer was different. He was keeping her. Doc had nothing to offer. I still don't see how she even met Doc. It's the only unnecessary part in an otherwise perfect movie.

Angela and the "big banana-head" would have made a cute couple.  :) That cop would have kept her in line.  :)

I watched this film again tonight, and I'm convinced that it was completely unnecessary for Angela to have gone out with Doc. The date isn't actually shown in the film (Doc only talks about it), but I just don't see what Angela would have wanted with a penniless older guy just out of jail. The lawyer was different. He was keeping her. Doc had nothing to offer. I still don't see how she even met Doc. It's the only unnecessary part in an otherwise perfect movie.

Angela and the "big banana-head" would have made a cute couple.  :) That cop would have kept her in line.  :)

Now I haven't watched it in a while, so this may be way off base, but maybe the gang used Angela as some sort of bait to get Doc to go along with the plan.

Now I haven't watched it in a while, so this may be way off base, but maybe the gang used Angela as some sort of bait to get Doc to go along with the plan.

That is how I always interpreted this;   it is clear Doc like young women.   In fact based on the vibe given Angela was a little too old for him.  

...except that how many of them even knew Angela very well? The lawyer was new to the group. It would be different if they were all long-time friends, but they weren't in this case.

...except that how many of them even knew Angela very well? The lawyer was new to the group. It would be different if they were all long-time friends, but they weren't in this case.

Why would they have to know her very well, they could all just go by the lawyer's recommendation.

Why would they have to know her very well, they could all just go by the lawyer's recommendation.

Because I doubt that Angela would have gone out with Doc, just because a few complete strangers (or near-strangers) asked her to do so. It's not like she met Doc through the lawyer, and it's not like the lawyer would have even wanted her to go out with Doc. He wanted Angela for himself.

Because I doubt that Angela would have gone out with Doc, just because a few complete strangers (or near-strangers) asked her to do so. It's not like she met Doc through the lawyer, and it's not like the lawyer would have even wanted her to go out with Doc. He wanted Angela for himself.

While the lawyer may have wanted Angela all to himself he wanted (and needed) money way more than he did a gal \ sex.   The lawyers need for money is the core reason for the entire film;  he takes risk,  makes deals,  does shady things (more so than he had before), all because of his desperation related to the need of money;  that is noir 101 as it relates to the motive of a character like the lawyer.

So as Cigarjoe said,  if the lawyer felt Angela could be used as bait to ensure Doc remained loyal to the plan \ gang, throw doc the gal.

While the lawyer may have wanted Angela all to himself he wanted (and needed) money way more than he did a gal \ sex.   The lawyers need for money is the core reason for the entire film;  he takes risk,  makes deals,  does shady things (more so than he had before), all because of his desperation related to the need of money;  that is noir 101 as it relates to the motive of a character like the lawyer.

So as Cigarjoe said,  if the lawyer felt Angela could be used as bait to ensure Doc remained loyal to the plan \ gang, throw doc the gal.

Oh, I see! I misunderstood. So the lawyer is the one who set up Angela with Doc. Makes sense, except...what are the odds that she would have even wanted to go with Doc? If he'd been some young, good-looking fellow with money, sure. But what on earth did Doc have to offer her? The lawyer must have done some VERY smooth talking in order to get her to go with Doc.

Something else just occurred to me. 

The info which Doc got from Angela is that the lawyer is broke. So if Angela knew that he's broke, why was she still with him? She wanted a man who would keep her. A broke man (the lawyer) and a penniless man (Doc) couldn't do it. Therefore, neither would be of use to her.

Therefore, I think that the filmmakers made a mistake in including that one little part. They probably got the idea from the original source material, made the usual "creative" changes to it (which of course resulted in plot holes), and got a result which makes no sense.

Despite this, I have seen the movie a number of times and I still give it 10/10.

Oh, I see! I misunderstood. So the lawyer is the one who set up Angela with Doc. Makes sense, except...what are the odds that she would have even wanted to go with Doc? If he'd been some young, good-looking fellow with money, sure. But what on earth did Doc have to offer her? The lawyer must have done some VERY smooth talking in order to get her to go with Doc.

For that matter what did the lawyer have to offer besides being a sugar daddy? 

For that matter what did the lawyer have to offer besides being a sugar daddy? 

Nothing, but it didn't matter to her because all she wanted was a sugar daddy.

GREAT movie. Right on top for sure. Many good actors although for me Jaffe steals the movie. As far as Marylyn Monroe's character, you have to assume what a woman who wants a sugar daddy would do to "seal the deal". Sex would've been at the top of list. I think it would be very naïve to think the lawyer would be meeting-up with a young woman like that and just sit and read the newspaper! :) 

Well, he tried to have sex with her in that one scene and she walked away from him. That's why I think that he wasn't getting laid as much as he wanted to...and maybe lately, it hadn't been happening at all. He probably figured that it would take more money to get laid, and so he went along with the plan to steal the diamonds.

I still don't see why she would have gone out with that penniless Doc. That was completely out of character. He had nothing to offer her.

Angela was the only babe who could get away with calling the officer checking "you big banana head". I term I haven't heard since.

I asked this question on another forum and I'm gonna ask it here also.  Why did Doc ask the cops " How long have yall been standing there?"  when they apparently had been looking at him thru the diner window before arresting him?  I have my opinion but wanted others.

45 minutes ago, Moorman said:

I asked this question on another forum and I'm gonna ask it here also.  Why did Doc ask the cops " How long have yall been standing there?"  when they apparently had been looking at him thru the diner window before arresting him?  I have my opinion but wanted others.

He was wondering if he had left when he should have, would they have caught him.  Answer:  No.  However, he chose to stay and oogling the dancing girl and paying for the music.  Giving the cops time to get there.