kjrwe

The Asphalt Jungle - Marilyn Monroe's character (spoilers)

28 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, TheCid said:

He was wondering if he had left when he should have, would they have caught him.  Answer:  No.  However, he chose to stay and oogling the dancing girl and paying for the music.  Giving the cops time to get there.

That may be the simple answer. Either its that simple or I'm overthinking this.  My feeling is that Doc, knowing he got caught up in the moment, was asking the cops from the frame of reference of " how long was I caught up in my trance?"  Its as if he didn't really care about getting caught as much as he wanted to know how long he had gotten caught up in that trance.  I could be totally wrong and you could be totally right. Its just the way I took that scene. 

8 minutes ago, Moorman said:

That may be the simple answer. Either its that simple or I'm overthinking this.  My feeling is that Doc, knowing he got caught up in the moment, was asking the cops from the frame of reference of " how long was I caught up in my trance?"  Its as if he didn't really care about getting caught as much as he wanted to know how long he had gotten caught up in that trance.  I could be totally wrong and you could be totally right. Its just the way I took that scene. 

I may not be right, but I think sometimes people tend to read things into movies, TV shows and books that the writers, directors and so forth never intended.  This may be especially true of Film Noir movies.

Not saying you are doing this, just that your post brought it to my mind.

On 5/25/2018 at 2:27 PM, Moorman said:

I asked this question on another forum and I'm gonna ask it here also.  Why did Doc ask the cops " How long have yall been standing there?"  when they apparently had been looking at him thru the diner window before arresting him?  I have my opinion but wanted others.

I think he meant: "Have you cops been watching me watching that very young girl dancing? Were you amused at the expression on my face as I watched her? Do you get your jollies out of seeing a criminal drool over a young girl? Why didn't you just come in right away? Oh, I guess you knew I wouldn't be running away..."

Just my humble opinion.

• Like 1