VivLeighFan

Is it strange that Of Human Bondage (1934) is one of my favorite movies?

8 posts in this topic

post-62900-0-60713300-1493498772_thumb.jpeg

I ask this because people don't give it much thought, at least to my knowledge, and I wonder why. It is the performance that made Bette Davis, one of the greastest actresses who ever lived, famous and it showed how downright fearless she was. I don't think any actress of that time would have did what she did in this film. But she's not the only one who makes this film great, in my opinion. Leslie Howard plays the struggling artist whose obsessive love for the cold and apathetic waitress Mildred threatens his career really well and creates a character that I can personally relate to. I think the reason why I love this film is not only the great performances but because of its gritty realism. I highly dislike angsty and dramatic films that end with an overtly happy ending so this one didn't disappoint (spoiler I guess). That's all I have to say about this movie for now. Just wondering here.

• Like 2

I don't think it's strange at all. It's been a few years since I've seen the film and probably need to re-view it. But you seem to have indicated what you like and why the film works for you.

I don't think it's strange at all. Personally, films like this one are ones that make me remember them more, because of their content. This was probably the first Bette Davis film I ever saw, with the second being "All About Eve." Bette made me sit up and pay attention with her acting in this one. I was pleasantly surprised to see a different kind of character unlike the housewife/ingenue roles I'd been seeing in other films with portrayals by other actresses. I think this film definitely starts to mark Bette's self-proclaimed preference for nitty-gritty roles. I read somewhere that she said she "dared to not be loved," or something along those lines.

Yea,  not strange at all to enjoy Of Human Bondage since the story is solid (I purchased and read the book after seeing this film),  and of course the fine performances by Howard and Davis (and Reginald Denny and Frances Dee in support).

But hey,  I bias since Howard and Davis are my favorite Actor and Actress.  

I highly recommend The Petrified Forest and It's Love I'm After (a screwball comedy) the other two films they were together in.

Yea,  not strange at all to enjoy Of Human Bondage since the story is solid (I purchased and read the book after seeing this film),  and of course the fine performances by Howard and Davis (and Reginald Denny and Frances Dee in support).

I highly recommend The Petrified Forest and It's Love I'm After (a screwball comedy) the other two films they were together in.

Yeah I'm really starting to like Leslie Howard's work too. I did see Petrified Forest but didn't get to finish it. I loved those scenes with Davis and Howard just talking before Bogart showed up.

Thanks for the comments everybody. I was just wondering. By the way, how is the book, Of Human Bondage? Was there anything in it that didn't make it to the screen?

Yeah I'm really starting to like Leslie Howard's work too. I did see Petrified Forest but didn't get to finish it. I loved those scenes with Davis and Howard just talking before Bogart showed up.

Thanks for the comments everybody. I was just wondering. By the way, how is the book, Of Human Bondage? Was there anything in it that didn't make it to the screen?

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I ask this because people don't give it much thought, at least to my knowledge, and I wonder why. It is the performance that made Bette Davis, one of the greastest actresses who ever lived, famous and it showed how downright fearless she was. I don't think any actress of that time would have did what she did in this film. But she's not the only one who makes this film great, in my opinion. Leslie Howard plays the struggling artist whose obsessive love for the cold and apathetic waitress Mildred threatens his career really well and creates a character that I can personally relate to. I think the reason why I love this film is not only the great performances but because of its gritty realism. I highly dislike angsty and dramatic films that end with an overtly happy ending so this one didn't disappoint (spoiler I guess). That's all I have to say about this movie for now. Just wondering here.

I like your description of the film.  Davis understood that Mildred was not a nice person, to put it mildly, and to play it any other way would have rung false.