VTX

Movie title help.

9 posts in this topic

If anybody can remember this movie and know the name, a big thank you !

Set in the 40's or 50's or 60's.   About a family who live by an ocean.  The mother dies but returns to see her kids and husband.   That's all I remember.   Seen it when I was a kid, more than 50 years ago.

Thanks.

I remember a movie with Michelle Pfeiffer called "To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday".  Could that be it?

So Pfeiffer was a child in this film?     (because the OP saw the film 50 years ago and Pfeiffer just turned 59).

So Pfeiffer was a child in this film?     (because the OP saw the film 50 years ago and Pfeiffer just turned 59).

The OP's description fits that Pfeiffer movie exactly. That's the first movie I thought of when reading the description, too, until they mentioned seeing it 50 years ago. 

Sentimental Journey sounds right, too, and it was also remade in '58 as The Gift of Love with Lauren Bacall and Robert Stack.

The OP's description fits that Pfeiffer movie exactly. That's the first movie I thought of when reading the description, too, until they mentioned seeing it 50 years ago. 

Sentimental Journey sounds right, too, and it was also remade in '58 as The Gift of Love with Lauren Bacall and Robert Stack.

I agree that the Pfeiffer film is a great fit but the only worthwhile 'clue' we were given was that the film is at least 50 years old (well assuming the clue is remotely accurate,  because often they are NOT).

I'm saying the film is a sequel of Humoresque and Mildred Pierce starring Joan Crawford :lol:

James, thanks for setting the record straight concerning the movie being 50 years old.  I guess I was influenced by some of the other clues.  Boy, did I mess up on this one!

James, thanks for setting the record straight concerning the movie being 50 years old.  I guess I was influenced by some of the other clues.  Boy, did I mess up on this one!

Well I didn't even want to guess!   But it does look like Sentimental Journey is a solid choice.   

If anybody can remember this movie and know the name, a big thank you !

Set in the 40's or 50's or 60's.   About a family who live by an ocean.  The mother dies but returns to see her kids and husband.   That's all I remember.   Seen it when I was a kid, more than 50 years ago.

Thanks.

Hi VTX, welcome to the message boards. Others seem to think the answer is SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY, made in black-and-white with Maureen O'Hara. Fox produced a Technicolor remake ten years later with Lauren Bacall called THE GIFT OF LOVE. However, there is only one child in the story, not kids (plural).