Sign in to follow this  
Cinemascope

Gene Kelly, SOTM - 1st Day

32 posts in this topic

I just realized one of the great things about Invitation to the Dance -- the fact that it was shelved for 4 years means it was one of the few (if any) movies filmed in the old Technicolor process that was released by the late 50's, as studios were changing to other color processes.

oh what a wonderful nite, what better way to spend the night than watching gene kelly movies!

think I'll go get some coffee running, still got "Invitation to the dance' and "Les Girls" to go!

For Me and My Gal for me seemed like a fresh arrival for both Judy and Gene. Judy, because she reached a new level of maturity in her roles, and for Gene because it was his first. I think Gene helped Judy arrive at a new threshold,

and Judy helped Gene make his first cinematic mark click.

Invitation to the Dance has some remarkable visual effects, considering that at the time mixing live-action and animation was a relatively new thing, that for the most part hadn't been tried in full-length movies aside from Song of the South.

It's a shame that MGM decided to shelve this for about 4 years. Maybe if it had come out earlier it could have found a bigger audience, but at least we can see it today and realize what an amazing milestone this movie represented.

Next week looks even better -- with Singin' in the Rain, On the Town, It's Always Fair Weather, Cover Girl, Take Me Out to the Ball Game, Anchors Aweigh and a repeat of Private Screenings: Stanley Donen.