Sign in to follow this  
spencerl964

Garbo voted by "Guinness" as most beautiful ever!

50 posts in this topic

I know this will make a few TCM fans & just reg. cinema fans a bit p.o.d But it's fact-(If you have the new: "Now Playing?" It'll back-up what I knew about for a couple years now.) & given that it's Greta Garbo-(1905-90) day on TCM's superb "Summer Under the Stars!" I thought it would be the most appropriate time to spring-it? "Guinness Book of World Records" voted her thee single most beautiful woman of all-time! You can even check further by going to it's own site-(you'll likely have to dig a bit however) & I rank her as the single greatest motion picture actress I have ever laid eyes on. & really cannot take much umbridge in this either? Given, she's certainly an acquired tase. But I wanted to let TCM-fans know of this, since you guys are most knowledgable of "Hollywoods Golden Age" & by the way, whom else thinks that poor: John Gilbert-(1895-1936) & his voice, was not that awful as alledged? Even more-so, people actually laughed at him upon his 1st talking flix!? I reckon' they expected a voice like *Gable or something? Very-sad individual. But I listed what I'd personally rank as the top 5 most beautiful actresses in cinema history below/what are yours I know Antar's answer!?

1st-Natalie Wood-(1938-81)-(A very personal pick!)

2nd-Garbo

*3rd-Elizabeth Taylor-(1932-)-(NOTE: Only around era of "Giant" (1956) through to '63's "Cleopatra")

*4th-Grace Kelly-(1929-82)

5th-Michelle Pfeiffer-(1957-)

(Honorable-mentions):

Antar, I have not forgotten: Hedy Lamarr! & although my personal favourite movie stars today are both: Pfeiffer & Meg Ryan-(also the major 2 I'd most desire to see in person nxt. time out west!?) Meg-(1961-) Is more the "Queen of Cute" than all-out beauty. Just in my opinion, anyway!

WHAT ARE YOURS?

But the Garbo item is a factoid.

Thank You

Although I'm not a big fan of Garbo I must agree that she was an utmost beautiful woman.

Although Hedy Lamarr had to be close behind and Linda Darnell is no slouch.

Mongo

1. Greta Garbo

2. Ava Gardner

3. Vivien Leigh

4. Monica Bellucci (current Italian actress)

5. Dolores del Rio

Needless to say, I like dark beauties. :)

you mean dark-haired beauties...although Garbo was rather blondish..she had fair hair...being scandinavian

Dark Haired woman with fair skin...are great: Gardner, Leigh, Taylor, Tierney, Lamarr....Del R?o was very beautiful & Classy....she had wonderful light-olive skin

Seems I just responded to a thread about this, though it was titled "The Sexiest Movie" and it was on another forum here. BTW, I inadvertantly left off Grace Kelly in To Catch A Thief (1955).

Anyway, I think the choices listed so far are "right on", though personally I find some actresses more beautiful based upon the role they are playing (their character's character, if you will). I assume that I know NOTHING about them personally and refuse to get caught up in all the gossip rags and "celebrity" garbage the media seems intent on thrusting in our faces. But if the character they are playing is a "beautiful person", the actress in the film is more appealing for me to watch.

A particular actress may look beautiful in one film, yet less so in another. And no, I'm not talking about when they are intentionally looking ugly like Olivia de Havilland in The Heiress (1949). Other actresses are just cute, like Meg Ryan in most of her movies.

Of course, these are just my opinions;-)

It's a funny thing that on my topic "Breathtakingly Beautiful" posted under "Your Favorites" no one even mentioned Greta Garbo. It was Hedy Lamarr that was mentioned the most. Hmmmmmm.

Mongo

Where is my buddy Antar? I thought for certain he'd be on this one in particlar? Being more than just a fan of the gurgeous: Hedy Lamarr!!! & to mongo, do you get "Now Playing?" I had heard about "Guinness Book of Records" voting Garbo most beautiful woman on the planet-(not just in cinema) Before the new "NP," came in the mail. Let me know please & I thank you

There is an utterly gorgeous actress-(for real as well & nice, almost to the point of putting herself in danger with all the sickos out there! *Nicole Kidman-(1967-) whom just won the OSCAR playing an unnatractive true life writer in Virgina Woolf!" But she always reaches way into crowds signing everybody's autographs Very dangerous! It's not the Tinsel-Town of the likes of ladies' mostly listed below anymore-(UNFORTUNATELY!?)

Please excuse the misprinting! It's not coming from this end? It seems as though TCM has more problems with this generally marvelous site, than just logging-in on it?

Although Garbo was extremely beautiful, I have to say that Rita Hayworth was the most beautiful in film - in my opinion. Rita was hot from the start - I don't think I ever saw a picture of her where she looked bad. As for Garbo - if any of you have seen early footage or photos of her, she is overweight and has crooked teeth - she looks more like a hillbilly then a movie star. MGM cleaned her up before making her a superstar. Aside from her eyes, I don't think that her beauty was very natural like Hayworth's was.

Another one who was naturally beautiful was Marilyn. I don't mean during the 50's when she dyed her hair and wore too much makeup - it was in her early years before she hit it big and before she became a blonde. She was incredibly beautiful - during the 40's, when she was still modeling. Another pick would be Liz Taylor - she was a knockout with those blue eyes. Even today she looks good for her age. But during the 50's she was definitely the most beautiful woman around. So there's my three top picks -

Rita Hayworth, Liz Taylor when she was younger, and Marilyn when she still looked wholesome.

The two actresses that get my vote are Audrey Hepburn and short lived Inger Stevens. They are just hard to take your eyes off when they are on screen.

I hate to be so predictable but I've got to give Hedy Lamarr my vote for most beautiful. Yvonne de Carlo is also pretty high on my list. As much as like Rita Hayworth, I wouldn't rank her all that high on true beauty.

tulluah bankhead was the hottest person of her day, way ahead of her time, she gets my vote......i would have loved to have married such a woman.

It's a"bouttime" you fessed up!

My favotite Tallulah story is the one where she is in the Ladies Room stall and there is no toilet tissue. So our dear Tallulah slips a ten dollar bill under the stall next to her and requests two fives for a ten.

She certainly was good for a laugh.

By the way she drove her husband John (John Barrymore look-a-like) crazy with her antics.

Mongo

I guess I'll be a lone voice in the wilderness, and vote for Lee Remick, Gina Lollabridgeda, Ingrid Bergman, Anne Baxter, and Raquel Welch as tops...I like to throw some new names in the mix, some I dont ever see.

Don't feel "alone". I also thought that Lee Remick was exceptionally beautiful. I miss her very much. And, if Anne Baxter was good enough for John Hodiak, she was good enough for me. They had a daughter who was the spitting image of her daddy which delighted me no end, of course. I always hoped that she would go into acting.

I duzn't know, I just duzn't know. I think Garbo is great and all and she's my second favorite behind only Hedy Lamarr(velous), but I never really thought she was all that beautiful. I never watched a Garbo movie to marvel at her beauty.

To me pal Antar, I did throw a vote for Hedy!!!

But about Garbo & all. I recall that it was either: *Billy Wilder-(1906-2002) or *George Cukor-(1899-1983) I think it's *Wilder? Whom of course was having great difficulty in directing Marilyn in "Some Like It Hot"

But once the finished product was over & he watched her face on-screen he was quoted as saying: "He had not seen so much voltage/screen prescence in a face, since Garbo!"

(NOTE: I saw the most dispicable photograph in a book about MM & It's even available online??? It's actually of her, after she was completely ripped up,etc Autopsy! That person shoulda' been shot for taking that type of photo! & that is exactly one of the major reasons the lady was so-tortured to begin with & then even in death, it still went-on!) Thank You for replies

Oh, there's no doubt Garbo had an AMAZING face, but for unexplainable reasons other than sheer beauty.

Im a BIG of Garbo, but she was an "original" beauty like Ingrid Bergman. Their look was attractive but very unconventional.

Hope this logs? The network itself is even acting wacky all-night? Sad for the *Gregory Peck fans out there. It keeps cutting-out? Since we were on such a topic & some may think it chauvenistic? As *Sinatra would phrase-it: Thee greatest pair of "Gams"/"Legs" I've ever seen on an actress must go to: Cyd Charisse-(1933-) Anyway, I had wanted to post a vote for a pal 0'mine, whom is too-timid to do-it himself. His all-time candidate as most beautiful is: Michelle Pfeiffer-(my pick as #1 today) Ronald P. Moyer is his name & he mostly goes for new flix. But is liking some of the heavyweights of hollywoods golden age like: *Jimmy Stewart & a couple others. But 1 he ranks very highly & I do as well, but as an actress? Matter of fact after *Streep, I would rank *Judi Dench-(1934-) our finest actress "alive!" But Ron considers her among thee most beautiful??? Well as they say "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" & BEFORE IT'S OVER! Has anyone "Matched Up With GARBO?" If so please drop me the actual shot/not a link please at: spencer64@ij.net) Thank You