Sign in to follow this  
Det Jim McLeod

My Top Ten Vincent Price Films

16 posts in this topic

My favorites in chronological order 

1) House Of Wax (1953)-Price is great as the mad artist who seeks revenge on those who destroyed his wax figures. 

2) The Fly (1958)-Price is the good guy brother of a scientist who turns into a fly-man.The final scene on the spider web is still pretty shocking. 

3) House On Haunted Hill (1959)-The scariest film of my childhood,with Price as millionare who invites a group of people to survive a night in a haunted house. 

4) The Tingler (1959)-Price is the good guy again,playing a scientist who discovers a creature that grows on your spine when you become frightened,scream for your life! 

5) Confessions Of An Opium Eater (1962)-One of the most bizarre movies ever made.Price is a sailor involved with Chinese tong wars,slavery and drugs.There is a slow motion scene that has to be seen to be believed and plenty of beautiful Asian girls doing sexy dances that must have been pretty racy back in 1962. 

6)The Raven (1963)-My favorite horror/comedy with Price as a good warlock who engages in a duel of magic with evil sorcerer Boris Karloff. 

7) Diary Of A Madman (1963)-Price is a magistrate who becomes possessed by an evil spirit in this underrated film.There is a murder scene that is still shocking today. 

8) The Masque Of The Red Death (1964)-The best of the Poe films,with Price as a devil worshiping Prince who is pure evil and proud of it. 

9) The Abominable Dr Phibes (1971)-Price is doctor seeking revenge on those who he thinks are responsible for his wife's death,good blend of horror and laughs. 

10) Theater Of Blood (1973)-Price is another revenge seeking madman,this time the comedy is darker and the killings gorier

• Like 4

In a class by itself as my #1 Vincent Price film:

Witchfinder General

(But not the American print, The Conquerer Worm, which uses a different music score.)

• Like 1

I assume this topic refers to Top Ten Vincent Price horror films.

But if we're talking about his top films overall, I'd have to include THE WHALES OF AUGUST.

But if we're talking about his top films overall, I'd have to include THE WHALES OF AUGUST.

Yea,  it sure looks that way.   Since I'm known as a contrarian here is my list of top 10 NON horror films: 

Laura

Leave Her to Heaven

Dragonwyck

The Bribe

The Barron of Arizona

His Kind of Women

While the City Sleeps

The Song of Bernadette

Wilson

The Three Musketeers

• Like 1

Yea,  it sure looks that way.   Since I'm know as a contrarian here is my list of top 10 NON horror films: 

Laura

Leave Her to Heaven

Dragonwyck

The Bribe

The Barron of Arizona

His Kind of Women

While the City Sleeps

The Song of Bernadette

Wilson

The Three Musketeers

Great list. I'd forgotten he was in WILSON. What genre do you consider DRAGONWYCK? It seems to have elements of horror in it (especially the off-screen drug use).

Another one I like is a Universal picture he made with George Sanders:

screen-shot-2017-05-02-at-1-16-42-pm.png

Great list. I'd forgotten he was in WILSON. What genre do you consider DRAGONWYCK? It seems to have elements of horror in it (especially the off-screen drug use).

Another one I like is a Universal picture he made with George Sanders:

I would say Dragonwyck is more of a gothic drama then a horror film.

I forgot about House of Seven Gables (another gothic drama).    Fine cast and well worth seeing.

• Like 1

I would say Dragonwyck is more of a gothic drama then a horror film.

Yes, that makes sense.

Yes, this is open to all of his films, I just put it in this board since he was so identified with horror films,  The Whales Of August was very memorable for me, it was the only time I got to see a Bette Davis film first run in a theater in 1987. Price does a good job as a Russian suitor.

• Like 1

Yea,  it sure looks that way.   Since I'm know as a contrarian here is my list of top 10 NON horror films: 

Laura

Leave Her to Heaven

Dragonwyck

The Bribe

The Barron of Arizona

His Kind of Women

While the City Sleeps

The Song of Bernadette

Wilson

The Three Musketeers

Price made so many great non horror films so they are all applicable, I loved his performance as the prosecutor who wants to commit poor Jennifer Jones in "Song Of Bernadette"

• Like 1

Yes, this is open to all of his films, I just put it in this board since he was so identified with horror films,  The Whales Of August was very memorable for me, it was the only time I got to see a Bette Davis film first run in a theater in 1987. Price does a good job as a Russian suitor.

Yes, I felt it was one of his most distinguished performances. Gish and Sothern are likewise excellent. Wonderful cast/production.

Price made so many great non horror films so they are all applicable, I loved his performance as the prosecutor who wants to commit poor Jennifer Jones in "Song Of Bernadette"

Price was a lot more versatile then a lot of people give him credit for mainly due to him being an iconic horror film actor.

I didn't provide a top 10 horror film listing because your list covered that very well.

Vincent Price is great.  I love him in Tower of London.  Nobody's mentioned that one yet,   He shares a great drinking scene with Basil Rathbone.  Great film and they are both excellent in it.  Plus, Karloff is in it, too.

Re' The Fly:  some time ago I read that Vincent and Herbert Marshall laughed so hard during filming that near-final scene in the garden (the spider web scene) it took them a bit to get it together.

• Like 2

I think my favorite non-horror Vincent Price performance is the aforementioned The Baron of Arizona. I liked his small bit as John Smith in 1940's Brigham Young. He was also good in The Long Night (1947). Shock (1946) has a good Price turn as a sinister psychiatrist. 

As for horror, I also like The Haunted Palace (1963), besides the many already mentioned.

• Like 2

Others have already mentioned it here but I want to add my own two cents worth of appreciation for the sensitivity of Vincent Price's characterization as the displaced aging Russian aristocrat in The Whales of August.

Price brings a gallant chivalry to the role of this proud gentleman in search of a place to stay in his final years. He courts Lillian Gish in his own gentle manner with the hopes of finding a home with her, as well as companionship. There is a moment, though, of cruelty in which Bette Davis's bitter character bluntly informs him that he will not be welcomed in their shared home.

The shock and pain register in Price's eyes as he is momentarily stunned into silence. He then responds to her with a grace at this moment of defeat that is heart wrenching. He remains homeless but his breeding and pride refuse to betray his personal anguish. Vincent Price makes this fragile, elegant character one to remember.

It's the performances of the actresses that seems to get most of the attention in The Whales of August (including an Oscar nomination for Ann Sothern), but it was Price's beautifully understated performance that touched me the most of all.

Vincent Price will always be remembered primarily as a "horror" actor but this film shows, among others, that he was far more than that.

21424a81c38632176a6cf48f4bb4b6c2.jpg

• Like 2

Price was a ham, but I would still watch him in anything. I think House on Haunted Hill is among his hammiest performances, but also my favorite.

I was lucky enough to see him on stage in 1978 or 1979 when he was touring as Oscar Wilde in a one-act play. Sitting just two rows from the stage, I was taken aback by how tall he was. At the conclusion of the show, while everyone was standing and applauding, he grinned devilishly, and pushed his hands, palms up, into the air, asking for more.

• Like 2