Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

2017 SCHEDULE

63 posts in this topic

Darn! I was hoping for another Vincent Price 24 Hour marathon. Maybe another time.

I'm sure he'll be honored again. He tends to remain fairly popular.

Is anybody else surprised not to see the film "Double Indemnity" on the list for Barbara Stanwyck's day under the stars? I know the picture has been shown on TCM this year, but still it is surprising not to see it today. 

Is anybody else surprised not to see the film "Double Indemnity" on the list for Barbara Stanwyck's day under the stars? I know the picture has been shown on TCM this year, but still it is surprising not to see it today. 

It is likely that TCM has Double Indemnity,  a Paramount film,  under a specific (narrow)  leasing agreement and therefore wouldn't wish to use one of the defined 'slots' (number of times TCM can show the film),   as part of SUTS.   I.e. to not 'bury' one of her most important films in this 24 hour tribute and instead reserve it for, say,  The Essentials,  or some guest host selection (since the film is a guest host favorite).

• Like 1

It is likely that TCM has Double Indemnity,  a Paramount film,  under a specific (narrow)  leasing agreement and therefore wouldn't wish to use one of the defined 'slots' (number of times TCM can show the film),   as part of SUTS.   I.e. to not 'bury' one of her most important films in this 24 hour tribute and instead reserve it for, say,  The Essentials,  or some guest host selection (since the film is a guest host favorite).

I agree. DOUBLE INDEMNITY airs on TCM quite often. I was glad they chose the more obscure Columbia precode THE MIRACLE WOMAN instead. These are the kinds of gems fans appreciate during Summer Under the Stars.

• Like 2

I agree. DOUBLE INDEMNITY airs on TCM quite often. I was glad they chose the more obscure Columbia precode THE MIRACLE WOMAN instead. These are the kinds of gems fans appreciate during Summer Under the Stars.

Yes,  a Columbia pre-code gem.   GET-TV shows the film every other month or so but it was nice to see it without commercial interruptions.

As you state use SUTS to showcase relatively unseen gems (e.g. early works before an actor became a 'star',  or later works where they have a supporting or second banana role,  or loan-out pictures, etc..),   instead of the same old stuff from the hit parade.

• Like 1

Yes,  a Columbia pre-code gem.   GET-TV shows the film every other month or so but it was nice to see it without commercial interruptions.

As you state use SUTS to showcase relatively unseen gems (e.g. early works before an actor became a 'star',  or later works where they have a supporting or second banana role,  or loan-out pictures, etc..),   instead of the same old stuff from the hit parade.

In a way I have a problem when DOUBLE INDEMNITY becomes the go-to Paramount film for Stanwyck. Don't get me wrong, it's one of her very best motion pictures and it deserves to be seen.

But she did so many great films at that studio and they seldom turn up on TCM. It's been years since THE FILE ON THELMA JORDON aired. Same is true for THE GREAT MAN'S LADY. I don't think NO MAN OF HER OWN has ever been broadcast, and what a spectacular melodrama it is. THE BRIDE WORE BOOTS, a Paramount rom-com she did with Robert Cummings has never been on TCM either. CALIFORNIA is a gorgeous Technicolor western she did with Ray Milland that TCM has never shown (though it sometimes pops up on the Encore westerns channel).

So when TCM keeps repeating the old stuff from the hit parade, it unfairly narrows our understanding of what Stanwyck accomplished at Paramount and other outside studios like Columbia, Universal and Republic.

• Like 3

Interesting. TCM will not be showing THE DESRT SONG in Canada on Dennis Morgan's day, due to rights issues. Instead, Canadian viewers will get a showing of TO THE VICTOR, a Dennis Morgan film which has not aired on TCM in the States since January 2003.

Usually TCM's replacements for  films they can't show in Canada are in frequent rotation on the American side of the network, so I can't help but wonder what accounts for this.

Interesting. TCM will not be showing THE DESRT SONG in Canada on Dennis Morgan's day, due to rights issues. Instead, Canadian viewers will get a showing of TO THE VICTOR, a Dennis Morgan film which has not aired on TCM in the States since January 2003.

Usually TCM's replacements for  films they can't show in Canada are in frequent rotation on the American side of the network, so I can't help but wonder what accounts for this.

Yes that is rather interesting. And I wonder why TO THE VICTOR seldom airs in the U.S.

Ann Harding Day.  Love it, love it!

Yes, today's schedule and the one devoted to Claire Trevor earlier in the month have been my faves.

• Like 1

Well . . . I was also glad to see Franchot Tone saluted but Ann Harding Day is long overdue!

• Like 1

George Sanders Day today...good tribute to one of the better sophisticated rogues on screen.  Disappointed that TCM isn't showing "The Moon and Sixpence" though.  I'd rather watch that than another screening of "Foreign Correspondent".  Oh well, beggers can't be choosers!

• Like 1

George Sanders Day today...good tribute to one of the better sophisticated rogues on screen.  Disappointed that TCM isn't showing "The Moon and Sixpence" though.  I'd rather watch that than another screening of "Foreign Correspondent".  Oh well, beggers can't be choosers!

I was also surprised this film wasn't chosen but TCM airs it several times a year. Definitely worth checking out the next time it's on!