Sign in to follow this  
mgmfanatic

MGM Musicals to Be Released in 2007!

22 posts in this topic

In an interview with George Feltenstein & the crew from Warner Bros. Home Video on the website Home Theater Forum, Feltenstein confirms that new titles will be released from the MGM musicals library this year. He confirmed a Judy Garland/Mickey Rooney boxed set, along with several "surprises" including an official studio release of Royal Wedding. You can read the entire interview at:

www.hometheaterforum.com

Here're are a couple of quotes regarding MGM musicals:

"Big MGM Musical promo coming shortly....some great titles, big surprises...and hope to have an Eleanor Powell set done before the year's end. Lana [Turner] maybe 2008..."

"It is still our plan to release the complete SHOW BOAT with 1929, '36, and '51 in Ultra-Rez, but it won't happen this year. Perhaps next. Contrary to what false information you may have read elsewhere, we have no plans to release the MacDonald/Eddy films anytime soon. Serious film element issues requiring restoration prevent our releasing them on a more expedited basis. We want them to be beautiful and sound great when they finally are released."

The full interview: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/chat/warner07.txt

I heard they would be releasing The Pirate (1948, Judy Garland Gene Kelly Musical) as well, did anybody else hear that ?

That might be one of the titles they release... I believe this is what they said:

Big MGM Musical promo coming shortly....some great titles, big surprises...and hope to have an Eleanor Powell set done before the year's end.

O, ok Thanks Cinemascope

i'm excited to see what they release because MGM musicals are my favorite :)

Definitely! There is something about them, you can always tell it's by MGM, and they had the BEST musical stars out of all the studios :)

My wishlist for the musical promo. When announced, lets see if I got any right.

-The Pirate

-Words and Music

-Thousands Cheer

-DuBarry Was A Lady

-Lovely to Look At

-The Toast of New Orleans

-Two Weeks With Love

Good list. They've also already announced they'll rescue Royal Wedding from PD hell.

I'd hope they could also release Yolanda and the Thief, it's one of the most exotic Technicolor musicals MGM ever released.

Yes, I don't think any Eleanor Powell musicals have been released on DVD aside from "broadway melody of 1940". It's about time to give Eleanor her due!

There's no question about it -- an Eleanor Powell DVD box set would be absolute music-lover's paradise! What just with the two Broadway Melody movies from the 30's, Born to Dance and possibly Honolulu you'd have one heck of a package!!! :D

I'm hoping we can see what's coming out soon, i'm excited for the MGM musicals coming, I wonder if they'll ever consider to release Everybody Sing ? It had so many well known people in it :)

Well, they haven't given a definite list yet, but they did say a new box set would be out this year with several musicals, and I don't think that includes the Judy & Mickey set...

yeah, on the Warner Home Video website you can see what's coming up, but they only show the beginning of may

They probably don't post stuff there until after the official press release, so you can probably get news just as fast (or maybe sooner) by going to independent websites that specialize in movies on DVD.

o, ok thanks, i always find out from there first and then realize that its already been posted in all other websites

This is a helpful site which includes info on DVD releases on both sides of the Atlantic:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/

Of course if you have a regular DVD player you'll only be interested in R1 DVDs which can be played here in the U.S. -- not in R2's that can only play on PAL-compatible R2 players.

Heh, all of them? :)

Well at least all the MGM ones. There's a few RKO ones that hopefully will also be released, like Irene with Ray Milland.