Sign in to follow this  
malkat

A Shot in the Dark

21 posts in this topic

I've just requested it. Maybe TCM will cave in and they'll show it? I've been dying to see a Peter Sellers movie.

It's amazing that the writers made a Clouseau mystery out of the play (hope I'm spelling this right) "L' idiot", which featured Walter Matthau and William Shatner and did not have Clouseau at all.

Message was edited by: MissGreen

Message was edited by: MissGreen

My favorite of the Panther films. One of the funniest movies I've seen. I like the first one too. But this thing is priceless.

Elke Sommer was in the following films. including A Shot in the Dark (1964) with Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau, The Art of Love (1965) with James Garner and Dick Van Dyke, The Oscar (1966) with Stephen Boyd, Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number! (1966) with Bob Hope, the Bulldog Drummond extravaganza Deadlier Than the Male (1966), and The Wrecking Crew (1969) with Dean Martin & Sharon Tate.

It's my favorite PP movie, one of my favorites..

How could someone just have seen it for the first time??? I'm confuuuuuuuuuuuused...........

Hilarious film, TCM needs to show it. And "Return of the Pink Panther", with Christopher Plummer as the Phantom, is also wonderful.

He, TCM TPBT! Get on it!

Its ironic that A Shot In the Dark is the only "panther" movie without the panther, but it introduces all of the characters that become part of the Clouseau world. It is the best of the whole Pink Panther series.

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

> Its ironic that A Shot In the Dark is the only "panther" movie without the panther, but it introduces all of the characters that become part of the Clouseau world. It is the best of the whole Pink Panther series.

If memory serves, the ill-fated Inspector Clouseau with Alan Arkin also didn't have anything to do with the Pink Panther diamond.

However, I do agree that A Shot in the Dark is the best film in the series. :)

I agree it is the best of the PP series and Sellers leaves you breathless with his never ending mis- adventures and his marvellous ability to dead-pan throughout it all. Steve martins attempts to leave his mark on this franchise misses hopelessly.

On a more serious note have you seen HBO's bio-doc on Sellers? I watched it over the holidays and if the character portrait depicted in this film is in any degree accurate it will be difficult to see Peter in the same manner in the future. I recommend to anyone who is a fan of sellers and wants to remain so avoid this film its a real downer in my opinion..

Edited by: stjohnrv on Jan 6, 2010 11:19 AM

> {quote:title=stjohnrv wrote:}{quote}

> On a more serious note have you seen HBO's bio-doc on Sellers?

I watched it a while back, I believe, when it was new on DVD. While I enjoyed it, I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone but the biggest of his fans, as it is, indeed, a somewhat depressing portrait of the man. It hasn't diminished my ability to enjoy his film work, but it does make me feel a little bit bad for him, because he had so much talent and enjoyed so much success and yet was so obviously conflicted and (apparently) not really a happy person.

I truly was depressed after seeing the HBO film. The degree of selfishness the film depicts sellers of having is disgusting. i agree with you he clearly was a conflicted and badly flawed husband and father. the scene where he destroyed his sons toys makes one want to reach through the screen and throttle the swine. His incredible ability to concoct wishful fantasies and then come to believe them (Sophia Loren was madly in love with him, wow what ego) However, it was what was revealed in the lines of the closing credits that depressed me most he was moving to divorce his current wife, but dies suddenly she gets the bulk of his huge estate and his CHILDREN 2,000.00 USD each. This man had suffered a massive heart attack earlier and he lacked the common foresight & responsibility to ensure his children were protected in his will. No Hollywood i can never see him in the same light again he was conflicted, but he was even more selfish Peter was really only into peter.

Edited by: stjohnrv on Jan 6, 2010 11:46 AM

I've found that, generally speaking, I enjoy movies more when I don't know much or don't care much about what the actors did or didn't do in real life. Maybe there's a few exceptions, like Audrey Hepburn, but by far and large knowing what they were like as persons tends to make me feel differently about their on-screen work, and I don't like it when that starts to happen.

I don't think I'd have liked him much as a person if I'd ever met him, but I'll leave it at that and continue to enjoy his work.