jaragon

"Rodan" (1958)

4 posts in this topic

The first part of this movie is really scary- well it scared the hell out of me when I first I saw it as kid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The first part of this movie is really scary- well it scared the hell out of me when I first I saw it as kid.

Maybe because it was in color it seemed more real? I always loved this one too. I tracked it down on VHS and I tracked it down on DVD. SPOILER ALERT: The sight of them dying together in the fire at the end always brings up complicated emotions, which I think sets the great monster movies apart, in the sympathy you feel at their destruction. TCM has run this a few times recently, so let's hope more people have gotten to see it.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2017 at 5:34 AM, DougieB said:

Maybe because it was in color it seemed more real? I always loved this one too. I tracked it down on VHS and I tracked it down on DVD. SPOILER ALERT: The sight of them dying together in the fire at the end always brings up complicated emotions, which I think sets the great monster movies apart, in the sympathy you feel at their destruction. TCM has run this a few times recently, so let's hope more people have gotten to see it.

Dougie,

I get the same feelings when I watch the original "Godzilla". It was made during the Cold War as you know, and we all can sympathize with Professor Tanabe, and particularly with Dr. Serizawa, about having to use the oxygen destroyer on the monster. Very much a theme in one of the MOTHRA movies too.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:27 PM, A. Pismo Clam said:

I get the same feeling when I watch the original "Godzilla"....Very much a theme in one of the MOTHRA movies too.

It seems like they went out of the way from the beginning to "humanize" Mothra with the two little fairy guides, so that you always rooted for him (her?) At one point they went way off-course with Godzilla and made him so kid-friendly that he was practically a house pet, but thankfully that didn't last long.

You're right about the agonizing in the original about having to use the discovery on such a huge scale. The Japanese in particular would have been very sensitive to the idea of harnessing and unleashing things in nature. Seeing Godzilla reduced to a skeleton was pretty brutal and extreme; it seemed like a regrettable end, even for a monster.

• Like 1