Sign in to follow this  
Cinemascope

Gene Kelly, SOTM - 2nd week

44 posts in this topic

On Monday, March 12th, the Gene Kelly salute as Star of the Month will continue with many wonderful musicals:

Singin' in the Rain

On the Town

It's Always Fair Weather

Cover Girl

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

Anchors Aweigh

Private Screenings: Stanley Donan

It'll be particularly delightful to see On The Town and its semi-sequel It's Always Fair Weather back to back, and a repeat of the Stanley Donan interview with RO will also be interesting to watch :)

I am no doubt in the minority on this, but my favorite Kelly number is a very simple one, from "Take Me Out To The Ballgame": it's "The Hat My Father Wore". Here we have an unpretentious, heartfelt number without any stylistic aspirations.

I also think it was wise of Comden and Green to include, amid the urban New York revue flavor of "On the Town", the nod to the heartland (i.e., the rest of America) in the "My Hometown" number with Gene and Vera-Ellen.

> I am no doubt in the minority on this, but my

> favorite Kelly number is a very simple one, from

> "Take Me Out To The Ballgame": it's "The Hat My

> Father Wore". Here we have an unpretentious,

> heartfelt number without any stylistic aspirations.

Yes! It is absolutely one of my favorite dances he ever performed! :) I'm so happy you mentioned it... Because sometimes I feel like I am the only one who ever recognizes it's worth.

And bobhopefan, thank you so much -- I didn't know there were people who really really loved it as well.

I can't wait to see it again. It's Gene giving such a genuine nod to his Irish heritage; and I guess when you're a brilliant dancer like Kelly, simple is sometimes all that is needed!

And bobhopefan, thank you so much -- I didn't know there were people who really really loved it as well.

Well, of course there are -- it's Gene Kelly! ;)

Bronxgirl, Take Me Out To The Ballgame is only my favorite Gene Kelly movie :)

It's the part where he tips the hat over one eye that is really memorable... Aside from the excellent Irish style solo taps he offers up. Someone (who had never seen GK before) walked in on that scene while I had it on. They just stood there and stared through the entire performance then said "It's like he's got air under his feet."

Also one of my favorite scenes from that particular film is the "O'Brien to Ryan to Goldbergh" - Jules is just fabulous in that film by the way. I can't say enough about it, really... Other than the fact I wish more people knew how unforgettable and funny it is!

Cinemascope, it's only better after multiple viewings... ;)

I don't think you'd get "O'Brien to Ryan to Goldberg" in, say, a British musical or a Bollywood Indian one.

Good ole (though oft-times fractured) American democracy is what I'm talkin' 'bout.

How is everybody enjoying the SOTM this month? I am LOVING it. I stayed up ALL NIGHT (okay, "most" of the night) on Monday, trying to catch all the GK movies. I ended up taping them because I want to make sure to not miss any of them.

Heaven. SHEER heaven.

Cannot wait til next Monday. But I have my tapes in the meantime.

Jo

> I don't think you'd get "O'Brien to Ryan to Goldberg"

> in, say, a British musical or a Bollywood Indian

> one.

>

> Good ole (though oft-times fractured) American

> democracy is what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Gosh, you've got me [more] excited to see it again (I think I have seen it like 5 times, lol) :)

Jolie, it really is HEAVEN, isn't it? :x

Hello!

I am new to this medium so I was just registering and looking around at the discussion topics and there you all are talking about one of my faves, Gene Kelly. Loved the documentary I just saw. So much I just ordered it. Can you have a big crush on a star that been gone for how long now? As a former dancer (no where close to Gene or Fred's caliber of course), he just makes my toes tingle.

Welcome to the boards moviegal, glad you're enjoying the GK tribute as star of the month.

Next week's movies are going to be awesome! :D

> Can you have a big crush on a star that

> been gone for how long now?

Wow... You're gonna like it here, 'cause that's what this place is for! ;) First of all, forget all reason and just post like you are in the '30's and '40's! Gosh, if I wasn't able to have crushes on these guys, I really don't know who I would crush on.

Welcome to the boards and I hope you have fun! It's nice to start down here in the Genre forums where the pace is much more laid back. Enjoy... the site and GK.

bhf1940

[nobr]There's nothing more American than apple pie, baseball, and this man:[/nobr]

[nobr]GeneKelly2.jpg[/nobr]

[nobr]I'm just so happy it is GK month, can you tell? B-) [/nobr]