JamesStewartFan95

Guilty Pleasures

8 posts in this topic

I think we should have a topic page on the Your Favorites Forum where we can list what movies we like that we consider Guilty Pleasures. These can be movies that didn't get good reviews when they first came out or any at all, or films that we think should be seen by more people. Any films you consider to be personal favorites but that you don't seem to get enough love can be included.

I, for example, think that Scrooged is better than critics give it credit for. I'm surprised that many well known critics didn't really like it when it first came out. I like Bill Murray, but I feel that this movie gets forgotten compared to Caddyshack, Groundhog Day, and Ghostbusters. I don't think people understood it enough when it first came out. It's pretty dark for a Christmas comedy and Murray's character is quite unlikeable as far as Scrooge types go.

I've always liked Scrooged. In fact, it's my favorite version of A Christmas Carol, as blasphemous as that may sound to purists. I consider Caddyshack one of the essential comedies of all time, too. And I love Ghostbusters.

And yet I never really cared for the critically acclaimed Groundhog Day. I watched it again in the last few months, and it still didn't do anything for me.   

• Like 1

Other films I think of as my guilty pleasures include the Disney version of Tarzan for the soundtrack (Phil Collins fan), Muppet Treasure Island for the performance of Tim Curry and the fact that it's a Muppet movie, and Troll 2, which for me is in the so bad it's good category.

• Like 1

I kind of liked Bring It On from 2000, and that is definitely a guilty pleasure. Maybe it was just the big-spirited nature of it all..... It definitely isn't one I'd normally go for.

Just a few favorites:

"At Long Last Love" (1975)--The version director Peter Bogdanovich re-edited in 2013.  The plot is still gossamer thin, Madeline Kahn is still the only trained singer in the cast.  But the worst numbers were eliminated (alternate takes were used, if I remember correctly), the editing was tightened, and the 16 Cole Porter songs come right after each other. The beautiful photography and Art Deco look of the film weren't noticed on original release: they were buried by an avalanche of Awful reviews.  This is worth seeking out if you like musicals.

"North West Mounted Police" (1940)--Cecil B. DeMille's tribute to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police is filled with bad acting, garish color, dreadful dialogue, but is fun to watch anyway.

"Godzilla vs. Biollante" (1992?)--Godzilla against a mutant rosebush that threatens to destroy the world.  I saw this one on archive.org.

"Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster" (1972)--One of the two craziest Godzilla films; So Bad It's Good.

"To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar"

The only way I could feel more guilty while enjoying this movie is if I ate a pint of chocolate raspberry ice cream while I watched it.  I love this movie.  Its one of those "well, that would never happen!" kinda movies but it makes me smile.  The quirky small town residents, the homophobic deputy running around with the one high heel shoe, the great clothes and the great final still shot at the end.  It also has one of my huge girl crushes in it - Stockard Channing.  I've been a fan since she sang "There Are Worse Things I Could Do" in "Grease."  And - hey, Patrick Swayze just looks darn good in a dress.

• Like 1

I don't know if I believe in "Guilty Pleasures" because I don't feel one iota of guilt for enjoying the movies I enjoy.  Everything I enjoy is harmless and I could not careless if someone doesn't like a movie that I like, and if they're going to make fun of me or think badly about me for enjoying some innocuous film, then I don't think I want that person in my life any way.

Anyway, without much further ado, here are some of the films I enjoy that don't typically rank on anyone's "best of" lists:

Dirty Dancing

Clue

The Princess Bride

Footloose

Mean Girls

10 Things I Hate About You*

Bring it On (2000 original)

Pitch Perfect

Pitch Perfect 2

She's All That*

Smokey and the Bandit

Little Shop of Horrors (1986 musical)

The Karate Kid

The Naked Gun Trilogy

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Weekend at Bernies

The Brady Bunch Movie

A Very Brady Sequel

Mannequin

Showgirls (the edited for television version)

The Brain That Wouldn't Die

The Wasp Woman

Reefer Madness (the 1936 version)

UHF

The Muppet Movie

My Best Friends Wedding

Encino Man

Blast From the Past

Clueless

There are a ton more I'm sure.  Sometimes you need some frivolity.  Not everything needs to be Citizen Kane and The Godfather all the time.  I would actually find it kind of sad if someone couldn't just allow themselves to get lost in a film that on all surfaces is cheesy, dumb, ridiculous, etc.; but at the same time, some of these movies just have something about them that makes them fun. 

*I really love teen movies that involve some sort of bet or contest.  They're so formulaic, but who cares, they're fun. 

• Like 3

I don't know if I believe in "Guilty Pleasures" because I don't feel one iota of guilt for enjoying the movies I enjoy.  

I agree completely. Therefore, I don't feel guilty when I say that I love:

The Horizontal Lieutenant (1962)

Joe Versus the Volcano (1990)

The Ladykillers (2004)

...and quite a few isolated house mysteries from the 1920s, 1930s, and early 1940s.

• Like 1