Sign in to follow this  
redheadedwoman

Ace in the Hole

17 posts in this topic

Does anyone know where I might be able to find this Billy Wilder film? I am doing a big project on Wilder for my film class and really would like to use this film.

Also, if anyone wants to recommend a book(other than the Ed Sikov bio which I have) I am looking to supplement my info on themes, symbols, and filmmaking techniques Billy used and was known for and need some good info to cite in my paper.

Thanks for your help!

redheadedwoman -

Hi There.

The film Ace In The Hole is also known as The Big Carnival and is scheduled to air on TCM on March 17th (12 noon EDT / 9am PDT). As the film - under either title - isn't available on home video, recording it from TCM may be your only option. Here's the TCMDatabase page -

http://www.tcmdb.com/title/title.jsp?stid=66745

As to your other request, there is a book written by the film director Cameron Crowe about his friendship with Billy Wilder in the later days of Wilder's life that may hold a lot of insight into his filmmaking techniques.

Also check and see if the German Television documentary that played on TCM last year titled "Billy, How'd You Do It?" (aka "Billy Wilder Speaks") is available at Netflix or any other outlet. It, too, is a fascinating look at the auteur. You can read more about the documentary here -

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article?cid=136026

Also here is a book review on the TCM Website for a new biography by Charlotte Chandler -

http://www.tcm.com/movienews/index?cid=23600

Kyle In Hollywood

I've been meaning to see this movie forever. My dad for some reason seems to have liked it a lot, which I've reason to believe may have been due to his love for the desert.

Oh, yeah, and Kirk Douglas rocks in any movie!

It's just been announced that Paramount's passed the DVD rights to the film over to Criterion, who'll be doing their usual superb job in presentation.

> And let's hear it for TCM for showing us this movie!!

> Now if they could only show The Major and the

> Minor... ;)

I think The Major and the Minor was shown last year on TCM. Hopefully they will show it again. I remember seeing it on televison commerical free and it was great!

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I must've missed it in the Now Playing guide but will definitely be taping it.

I have watched the Billy Wilder Speaks documentary, I wish it had been longer though, just as I really started getting into it, it was over.

I was able to find THE COOLEST old movie poster of "Ace in the Hole".

It has a picture of Kirk Douglas choking (for a lack of a better term) Jan Sterling. I have it framed hanging in my hallway and it is one of my favorite pictures that I have.

Cinemascope this will floor you! Most of my art I have collected has been from SF, Berkeley, Oakland and LA. I found this on a fluke in an antique shop in a little tiny (pop. 14,000) German town in New Ulm, MINNESOTA!!!!! Can you believe it? Of course I snatched it up and had it framed in the Bay Area but I just love it!!!! Thankyou for asking.