Sign in to follow this  
SgtCutter

My dream format for TCM

28 posts in this topic

Wouldn't it be fantastic if TCM did a 24 hour showcase of a different star/character actor/medium star the whole year through? (except Oscar month of course) They could still run the essential titles like Casablanca and Singin' in the Rain etc etc etc several times as they need to and really nothing would be different, except that the films would be organized by star, thus giving alot of the more obscure titles TCM runs a better chance of being seen if fans of whomever know to tune in that day to see 12 of their films. It would certainly be a fresh change of pace to see the channel organized this way, giving Robert Osborne and Ben Mankiewicz a better opportunity to relate different tidbits about a star the whole day rather than one movie here and there.

Imagine of the first week's lineup was something like:

CYD CHARISSE

DICK POWELL

BARBARA STANWYCK

GUY KIBBEE

TONY RANDALL

CARY GRANT

AVA GARDNER

JACK BENNY

LEO GORCEY

JEAN HARLOW

and so on.

What do you all think? Could it work.

Love TCM in any event. Just a dream I have :)

You know what they could also do? Do a different genre every day, like action one day, comedy the next, even do days with different sub-genres. I know they kinda do this already, but they make it more organized. Hey, what about a day full of silent film?

Well, I don't know. I can enjoy "Summer Under the Stars" when they do this because it is interesting for a month, but year round? I don't believe I would be watching as much. For example, if Leo Gorcey and Tony Randall each had a day, then that would be two full days I wouldn't be watching TCM. And I have a feeling if they ran a day of silents, they might lose a lot of viewers. I think TCM has a good format now because it incorporates a bit of everything into each day, so people will find something they like each day.

Wed March 7th was "Detective Day" and they had four of the wonderful Basil Rathbone SHERLOCK films on.

Of course, I can watch these over and over just about any time, so my bias towards a genre of film makes me agree with this dream/wish-list.

And on the "bad" days, I can always find something else to do without feeling like I've missed some hidden treasure on TCM! To which, I would also be grateful, dear TCM.

I think I'd have to agree with you. The problem would be alienating a segment of your audience for an entire day. There isn't a single day that goes by, that I don't watch at least one thing on TCM. If it were Katharine Hepburn day, for example, I wouldn't tune-in, for the entire day. But, if she's limited to just some of the day, then there is always something else to interest me. It's fine, once in a while; but if the programming were to be like that all year, it would be risky for them, I think. What happens if they schedule someone you don't like, 3 days in a row?!

Sorry, I'm not crazy about that idea at all. Every once in a while devoting a day to a single actor is one thing, but every day is way too much. Like others have said, if you don't care for a particular actor, you're just out of luck for that day. Better IMO to leave things as it is, having a variety of movies on all day.

I think the obscure titles would be more likely to run in a schedule based on complete randomness, literally drawn out of a hat, rather than themes or stars-of-the-day/month. Most stars will always get preferential treatment over the second-tier actors, and the actors' more popular movies would be first in line over the rarities. I've been waiting a while for the return of a movie that just doesn't fit anywhere (hint, hint!), and it's way down the list of favorites for that actress. I think the programming department does a great job trying to appeal to everyone, and changes might upset just as many as would be thrilled with the idea.

Well if some people's objection to devoting all day to a single person is that they might not like the actor/filmmaker in question, then maybe it could be split between morning, afternoon/evening and the "graveyard shift"? :)

Hi Sarge,

I like the idea but modified and toned down to maybe 2 or 3 days a week - say Monday and Friday.

Too much of a good thing is often a bad thing. Too much fudge gives you diabetes eventually......

But, I do like your thinking.....

Larry

> Well if some people's objection to devoting all day

> to a single person is that they might not like the

> actor/filmmaker in question, then maybe it could be

> split between morning, afternoon/evening and the

> "graveyard shift"? :)

Well, they really kind of do that as it is, to a certain extent. There's lots of times they show 2 or movies in a row featuring a certain actor. Last month they devoted almost a whole Saturday to John Wayne films.

I like it when TCM shuffles their movies like a deck of cards. This way when I go to work there maybe two movies I need to set my timer for and forget the rest. I have a DVR for those days when they play six movies in a row that I want to see but others do not have this luxury. If they had BARBARA STANWYCK on all day long I would have to check My hard drive to make sure I had enought space free for them.

If they had BARBARA STANWYCK on all day long I would have to check My hard drive to make sure I had enought space free for them.

Agreed, and if they had two or three stars in a row I liked, I would probably be out of luck very quickly.

Yeah...I agree with some of the drawbacks mentioned. It probably wouldn't work in the long term. Can't wait to see who they have lined-up for Summer Under the Stars this August :)

Thanks all for your input

I love Summer Under the Stars. It's alot of fun - especially on the days of stars that you love.

That said, I don't think I'd like it as a year-round format. I think it would segment the audience too much.

Although I will say this - I'd rather have another month of the SUTS format than the 31 Days of Oscar.

I have to agree with you on that. Although it would be nice to see a full day of some of my favorite stars, composers, cinematographers, and so on, it would be hard for one to watch TCM a lot because it is all about personal taste. I like the format now. It has a little bit of everything.

"I don't believe I would be watching as much. For example, if Leo Gorcey and Tony Randall each had a day, then that would be two full days I wouldn't be watching TCM."

I'm like that too, and really wish I weren't because it keeps me from a lot of what could otherwise be enjoyable movies. For example, right now TCM is running Abbott & Costello and since I can't get into any of that, I'm watching golf instead. Fortunately with the older movies for me it's more a matter of genre rejection than star rejection. Newer movies are a different matter, however, almost entirely due to unfortunate recent trends of celebrities speaking out ignorantly on political matters.

I love Summer Under the Stars. It's alot of fun - especially on the days of stars that you love.

That said, I don't think I'd like it as a year-round format. I think it would segment the audience too much.

Although I will say this - I'd rather have another month of the SUTS format than the 31 Days of Oscar.

I would, too! :)

I don't think that you should putting Chuck Heston, Tom Selleck, and Bruce Willis down like that !

Newer movies are a different matter, however, almost entirely due to unfortunate recent trends of celebrities speaking out ignorantly on political matters.

I would be inclined to agree, except that deep down I kinda feel that celebrities should have as much right as the rest of all Americans to speak out ignorantly on political issues ;)

> Newer movies are a different matter, however,

> almost entirely due to unfortunate recent trends of

> celebrities speaking out ignorantly on political

> matters.

>

> I would be inclined to agree, except that deep down I

> kinda feel that celebrities should have as much right

> as the rest of all Americans to speak out ignorantly

> on political issues ;)

What are you a follower of the Constitution ? We need more Bush backing Robots, who know what God wants to be done. Today Rep Gingrey ( R - Ga ) said that the patients are responsible for the conditions at Walter Reade. We need more Great American Thinkers like him in Congress.