Sign in to follow this  
johnm001

Favorite Action/Adventure Film?

25 posts in this topic

Mine would be 1999's THE MUMMY.

Everything about its approach to telling the story, is first rate. The cast has great fun; and, so do we, watching them go about their adventures. Everyone is superb in their roles, and the special effects are brilliantly used, throughout. As if that isn't enough, it contains a beautiful Jerry Goldsmith score, too. For me, the adventure film to end all adventure films. I just love it.

The Mummy was a horrible movie, too much CGI and other effects. Tis a shame that it wasted the charm of fine actors like Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz.

A much better action movie is Lawrence of Arabia, which is dazzling, riveting and deeply intellectual at the same time.

One of my favorites is "The Adventures of Robin Hood." Can't imagine anyone else in the role but Flynn.

He's brave, romantic, cheeky and very exciting in the action pieces. Great fun.

Abandon Ship, Distant Drums, Garden Of Evil, Flight To Tangier, Trader Horn, Tarzan Movies, Flame Of Araby, At Sword's Point, River Of No Return, Charge At Feather River, Appointment In Honduras, Westward The Women, Back From Eternity, China, ...

I think there's something to be said for the Indiana Jones movies, as well, precisely because they were so inspired by the old matinee serials and action movies of the 30's and 40's, and how they try to reinterpret it to appeal to younger generations.

I'd be hard pressed to pick one favorite ...THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD and THE MARK OF ZORRO (Tyrone Power version) are two all-time favorites. More recently, I would choose NATIONAL TREASURE.

" National Treasure" had a clever script and some cool action scenes. I'm looking forward to the sequel this Christmas.

I love National Treasure and hope the sequel will be as good. Although, they usually aren't. I will definitely be see it in a theater, though.

I agree with you and some of the others in this thread, especially the Indiana Jones movies. But I gotta throw in another of my favorites. The Crimson Pirate. Burt Lancaster & Nick Cravat 1952. A fun, light hearted romp.

My favorites are: The Poseidon Adventure '72 version

The Last Voyage

Titanic (CLifton Webb, Barbara Stanwyck)

A Night To Remember (David McCallum, Kenneth More)

Titanic (New Version)

The Towering Inferno

I'd have to say Tyrone Power's "Prince of Foxes", followed by "Captain from Castile" and then

"Mark of Zorro" and "Son of Fury"...all Ty Power.

I liked his style better than Flynn's or Granger's, although they made good ones, too.

The Richard Lester directed versions of Three Musketeers and the follow up, Four Musketeers, are my favorite action adventure movies. George Macdonald Fraser, the writer of the Flashman series, wrote the screenplay for this movie. I'm keeping an eye out for TCM to play these gems.

I also liked most of the other movies mentioned.

Mogambo

The Lost Patrol

Captain Blood

The Mark of Zorro (Tyrone Power)

The Prince of Foxes

Back from Eternity/Five Came Back (I like both versions!)

King Solomon's Mines

Valley of the Kings

Soldier of Fortune

The Real Glory

Unconquered

Beau Geste

Sundown

Land of the Lost

Underwater!

Wake of the Red Witch

Reap the Wild Wind

You're right I don't think anyone but Errol Flynn could've played it,he is so handsome and dashing in this film and he looks so good in them tights and even though James Cagney was a good actor,I don't think he could've done Robin Hood as well as Flynn.I think this is best version of Robin Hood mainly because of Flynn,the action he created for the part of Robin Hood was magnificent,I don't think anyone else could've came across the way he did in the part.

Not my favorite of all time, but tonight, showing on TCM:

*7th Voyage Of Sinbad*, The (1958)

Sinbad hunts for a roc's egg to save his love from an evil sorcerer.

Cast: Kerwin Mathews, Kathryn Grant, Torin Thatcher. Dir: Nathan Juran. C-88 mins, TV-G

This is one of a whole series of adventure movies that bear watching for the sheer enjoyment. I'm trying to convince my 13 yr old that it's worth his time. We may invite his friends over so they can watch, make fun of, and just enjoy. Popcorn time, folks!

To Whom It May Concern: Movie- James Garner first major film, "Darby's Rangers"(1957-8)War World 2 film, Looking to but a DVD if possible. Thank you, Terry

My favorite action/adventure film is probably *Raiders Of The Lost Ark* but *Goldfinger* comes pretty close to it.