Sign in to follow this  
GildaHayworth

"Cover Girl" with Rita and Gene!

7 posts in this topic

the most beautiful movie ever made starring Rita and Gene Kelley is going to be showing next week! actually, it may have been the only movie ever made that had Rita and Gene in it, heh. *wink wink*

If anyone has watched this movie or is planning on watching it, post here! =)

Stanley Donen told the other day about how they made all those amazing special effects, it was quite an achievement for its day! :D

I've seen Covergirl... :) There is not enough Gene in it! But I guess I have that complaint with every Gene movie.

The part where he dances with his alterego is absolutely fascinating, especially after seeing the Anatomy Of A Dancer bio that gave us a little info on how it was made.

Yes, I have hear a lot about how that part was made! =0)

Now if they could only have done another "dance with alter ego" part with Rita...

The "alter ego" number took 2 weeks to shoot, and cost over $100,000.00, which was quite a sum, back then. Gene Kelly choreographed it, then taught it to Alex Romero and Stanley Donen, so he could see how it looked. The set stretched over 2 sound stages at Columbia. Kelly shot it, himself, as Charles Vidor, the director, went off to Palm Springs. Kelly and Vidor disliked each other to the point of actually engaging in a fistfight on the set. Kelly, Silvers and Hayworth loved one another, and got along famously. At the film's preview (a true preview, where they gauge audience reaction and make changes to the film, prior to its actual release), the audience burst into gales of laughter during the "alter-ego" number. Since the number wasn't supposed to be funny, Harry Cohn, who never liked the number, insisted it be cut. The manager of the theater where the film had its preview (The Crown, in Pasadena), told them that the film they had seen, right before the preview, was FLESH AND FANTASY. There is a sequence in it in which Edward G. Robinson's image was reflected in a store window and he talked to it. When the audience saw the same device in COVER GIRL, they found it funny and laughed. Cohen consented to having another preview, and this time the audience not only didn't laugh, but chose it as their favorite number on the preview-opinion cards.

I think the story was told by director Stanley Donen in his interview with RO during the tribute to him last year. I'm looking forward to watching it again, this Monday night, now as part of the GK SOTM salute! B-)

And the best part -- we'll be watching Cover Girl yet again next month, because Rita Hayworth will be SOTM. :x B-)