Sign in to follow this  
Cinemascope

Gene Kelly, SOTM - 3rd week =)

18 posts in this topic

Next week's homage to Gene Kelly will include another 4 wonderful MGM musicals, including the winner for Best Picture of 1951! B-)

Pirate, The (1948)

An actor poses as a notorious pirate to court a romantic Caribbean girl. Cast: Judy Garland, Gene Kelly, Gladys Cooper. Dir: Vincente Minnelli. C-102 mins, TV-PG, CC

American in Paris, An (1951)

An American artist finds love in Paris but almost loses it to conflicting loyalties. Cast: Gene Kelly, Leslie Caron, Oscar Levant. Dir: Vincente Minnelli. C-113 mins, TV-G, CC, DVS

Brigadoon (1954)

Two American hunters in Scotland discover a mystical village that only materializes once every century. Cast: Gene Kelly, Cyd Charisse, Van Johnson. Dir: Vincente Minnelli. C-108 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

Ziegfeld Follies (1946)

Legendary showman Flo Ziegfeld imagines the kind of Follies he could produce with MGM's musical stars. Cast: Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Judy Garland. Dir: Vincente Minnelli and others. C-110 mins, TV-G, CC

Speaking of Gene Kelly, does anyone know about his little facial scar? The question just came up in the "Ask Mongo" thread, but thought it might be worth repeating here.

> Speaking of Gene Kelly, does anyone know about his

> little facial scar? The question just came up in the

> "Ask Mongo" thread, but thought it might be worth

> repeating here.

Had a half-moon shaped scar on his left cheek caused by a bicycle accident he had as a young boy.

--IMDb

(this has probably already been answered in the "Ask Mongo" thread)

yay! it's Monday! you know what that means! It's Gene Kelly movie night! woot! I'm excited to see An American in Paris...I haven't seen that one in a while. This is a million times better then garbage night at my house!

> yay! it's Monday! you know what that means! It's Gene

> Kelly movie night! woot! I'm excited to see An

> American in Paris...I haven't seen that one in a

> while. This is a million times better then garbage

> night at my house!

Yup, it's gonna be awesome, and you know it! B-)

And it starts in about half an hour! :D

Hey, 'scope:

Did you catch what Robert Osbourne said at the beginning of The Pirate or are you watching? I missed the intro, curious if anything we discussed here had been mentioned (?).

Started off by pointing out it reunited GK and Judy Garland six years after For Me and My Gal and that it was based on a Broadway play that didn't have any music originally... and MGM originally planned to do a straight romantic comedy with Greer Garson and Cary Grant.

> Started off by pointing out it reunited GK and Judy

> Garland six years after For Me and My Gal and

> that it was based on a Broadway play that didn't have

> any music originally... and MGM originally planned to

> do a straight romantic comedy with Greer Garson and

> Cary Grant.

Thanks so much. Hate I missed the intro but at least I know what I missed... ;)

Anyone else watching An American in Paris right now? I think Oscar Levant was very underrated as a supporting actor, he was quite good both here and in The Bandwagon.

Wow, I would've liked to see Greer and Grant to do a film together, but The Pirate doesn't seem like it would've been a suitable choice, musical or not.

Brigadoon is soooo romantic :x

Kinda wish they'd been able to film on location, but the beauty of it all still comes thorugh even tough made in a studio soundstage... :)

Ziegfeld Follies - what a perfect way to end the day's showings of Gene Kelly movies... as RO said the "revue" format had almost been abandoned by that time, but MGM certainly knew how to put on a show B-)