Sign in to follow this  
classicfilmbuff

if you had the chance to dance in any musical which would you choose

61 posts in this topic

I would want to dance in For me and my Gal, there isn't a whole lot o dancing but that was such a great movie plus I would have loved to have met Gene Kelly!! <33

Anne Miller and Mickey Rooney from the stage presentation of "Sugar Babies"

(which can be seen on DVD - Broadway's Lost Treasures)

The moves that these two put on each other is amazing, given their ages !!

They both still had it when this was shot in 1980.

Having just seen Mickey's new release of Mickey and Judy Garlands Collection set,

the interview with Robert Osborne of TCM is worth the price of this great set of DVD's

Hopefuly, more to come from Warners ???????

"Oklahoma!", if I could dance with Lizanne Truex, that little blonde-haired pixie of a "Goon Girl" (infatuated with Will Parker). A top-notch but unsung talent who is a sexy charmer as well. Check out her name using the dogpile search engine.

I would like to dance with Fred Astaire in the "Gurl Hunt Ballet". The number in the speak easy when Cyd Charisse had on that red dress! I guess though, a 55 year old, overweight housewife from Tennessee would not have had the same impact!

There are so many but here's a few:

West Side Story: America

Kiss Me Kate: Tom Dick or Harry

Good News: Pass That Peacepipe & Varsity Drag

Hello, Dolly!: Put On Your Sunday Clothes

Grease: Summer Nights

Babes on Broadway: Hoe Down

Hairspray: The Nicest Kids in Town & You Can't Stop the Beat

Saturday Night Fever: Night Fever

The Sound of Music: Sixteen Going on Seventeen

jon

Ahh, musicals! The absolute best... I have a few:

*Singin' In the Rain* -- With Gene in the "Broadway Melody Ballet" sequence

*Royal Wedding* -- I'd love to accompany Fred in dancing on the ceiling and bouncing of the walls

*Summer Stock* -- In the "Portland Fancy" sequence

*For Me and My Gal* -- In the "Ballin the Jack" sequence

I know I have more, but I can't think of any right now.

I was going to say Singing in the Rain too! But I want to dance with him when he was "in the rain" --what a fun scene--I bet he had a blast! And right now--it's hot enough around here--if it would rain, I probably would go outside and start dancing!!--Of course the neighbors might call the looney bin and have me picked up--but it might be worth it just to cool off!! :-)

I would have chosen the "Rain" scene too, but the way Gene held Cyd Charisse in the Broadway Melody scene makes me so dang jealous! I would have loved to be in her place!

Oh gosh, I've been hoping for some rain as well. It's hella hot here in Texas! I've been staying in my house as much as possible for the last few weeks, for fear I will melt the second I step out. Ahh, rain would be such a blessing right now. Come on with the rain... and I'll have a smile on my face!

Hey Miss Musical--it just started raining here at my house--HA! I knew it was going to happen sooner or later--way too humid!! It's only a little after 11pm--come on over and we can find Gene and go dancing!! :-)

Aww you lucky duck! Wait just a second while I get my umbrella and I'll be right over!

Let's both work up 103 degree fevers then we can really be like Gene. I'm afraid you'll be singing by yourself though... I can't sing for the life of me!

Don't worry about the singing--too much thunder-no one will ever hear!! :-) I guess it might not be such a good idea to be out dancing in the rain with a small lightening rod --uh--I mean umbrella--in your hands. So maybe we better sit this one out after all. Plus--it's just about to blow over so I guess we'll have to catch the next one. I'll keep my rain boots handy.

h3*Kelly, Caron, Minnelli, and Gershwin - it Doesn't Get Much Better*

I just drove 200 miles roundtrip to see An American in Paris at the Arclight in Hollywood; it was the first time I'd seen it in a theater since 1952. It reconfirmed my alltime favorite dance number - my choice is, was, and will always be - dancing with Gene Kelly by the Seine in Our Love is Here to Stay. Apparently it was his favorite also; he confirmed this in a an interview that ran several years ago on PBS or TCM. In my opinion, his dance duets with Leslie Caron (an 18-year old ballerina that he found in Roland Petit's ballet company) comprised one of the best-matched partnerships of his career.

What an interesting question. Y'know, it's not so much the romantic numbers that I thought of initially, but numbers that would've seemed like a lot of fun to be part of

Good Mornin' number in Singin in the Rain - looks like friends having a good time, I imagine an improvised goofiness

-Seven Brides - the barn dance when everyone's tearing it up, trying to outdo the competition

Partnered in one of the fabulous dances at the end of Kiss Me Kate by Tommy Rall or Bob Fosse (would especially like to give that scream & crawl around with Fosse)

The "Mein Herr" number in Cabaret would be AWESOME

Yes, the Girl Hunt Ballet in Band Wagon w/b the ultimate experience - unforgettable, beautifully done, some of those moves in the bar at the end of the number remind me of the Fosse "crawl" in Kiss Me Kate...really crazy, original moves- no one can drape like Cyd Charisse, but it'd be fun trying!

I would've loved to be part of one of those crazily intricate Busbe Berkely numbers- cupids bow & marcelled hair, in ostrich feathers and paste diamonds, descending Caligari stairs in a flappers hallucination of infinity...perfection!

Well, this wasn't a hard one for me at all! I think *Hello. Dolly!* would've been extremely fun to dance in. Through out the whole movie I am mesmerized by the dancing. I take dance and I love it. The type of dancing in the movie is like an up-beat, fast, broadway styled dancing that seems really fun and exciting to do. I especially would've liked to dance in the number "Put on your sunday clothes" and "Dancing."

Message was edited by: Jillian1217

If I had the skills, Gene Kelly's numbers in 'Singing In The rain". I would get to dance with Cyd Charrise.

Fred Astaire's numbers in "The Band Wagon". Again I could dance with Cyd.

I would like to dance in "Thanks a Lot But No Thanks" from "It's Always Fair Weather". The somersaults, tumbling, and sliding would a challenge but fun. Dolores Gray "killing" me with her gun as part of the routine would be fun too.

> {quote:title=Daria wrote:}{quote}

> I would like to dance in "Thanks a Lot But No Thanks" from "It's Always Fair Weather". The somersaults, tumbling, and sliding would a challenge but fun. Dolores Gray "killing" me with her gun as part of the routine would be fun too.

I've loved that number ever since I watched it in one of the That's Entertainment! compilations (I think it might have been the 3rd one).

Hi,

Yes. It is in the third "That's Entertainment!". Too bad so much of the performance was cut out but it was nice to see it in widescreen for the first time. The dancing is so athletic and Dolores is so very sultry.

Yes, Daria, unfortunately a lot of the numbers that were shown in that compilation had to be edited, I guess due to time constrains. Still, it's a great number, and you know where you can find the complete version. ;)

Don't laugh. I'd love to dance in Elvis's JAILHOUSE ROCK show-stopper. Great choreography surprisingly credited to Elvis. (I heard there were others involved).

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> Don't laugh. I'd love to dance in Elvis's JAILHOUSE ROCK show-stopper. Great choreography surprisingly credited to Elvis. (I heard there were others involved).

I wouldn't laugh at all. I think it is a great number, and from what I've heard, it would probably have been considered the coolest dancing in a movie back at the time of its release (by contrast with, say, old-fashioned musicals like Gigi, which came out a little later).

I will never know what it would have been like when Elvis and The Beatles first hit it big, all I can do is look at the films and footage from the time and almost wish I had been there at the time.

I guess if I had to pick a musical number to be a part of, I'd want to be in the "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" with Gene Kelly and Vera-Ellen. This was featured in "Words and Music" and is a terrific dance number. I never tire of watching it. So much energy,a beautiful set, and two beautiful dancers who were among the best.

Terrence.

I wonder why this thread, along with many, many others isn't locked? Some newly created policy of locking threads that are over a year old? Naturally, makes no sense, and a ruled that's not applied universally. Much like most of what goes on here. These boards have become a pathetic shell of their former self. Sad.