Sign in to follow this  
rayban

No Words

62 posts in this topic

Below, John David Carson as the gorgeous young man who saves us from the giant ants in "Empire of the Ants" (1977) - 

unfortunately, not fast enough, the star, Joan Collins, gets eaten by a giant ant (?!) -

Empire-of-the-Ants-film-images-a83b7e8c-

"The Boy and the Pirates" - written, produced and directed by Bert I. Gordon - 1960

The ever-prolific filmmaker hands a whole film over to a pre-teen Charles Herbert, who was that unforgettable little boy in "The Fly" -

Charles Herbert has scary encounters while he travels back in time but, somehow, manages to get back home to Massachusetts -

His constant companion, in the present and in the past, is the director's daughter, the irreplaceable Susan Gordon - 

Below, Charles Herbert is not that happy with Abu The Genie, who is dellghtfully played by Joe Turkel -

Boy%2BAnd%2BThe%2BPirates%2B%282%29.jpg

• Like 1

Bobby Kendall in James Bidgood's legendary film, "Pink Narcisssus" (1971) -

e5833cbb18df546869f7ec138a6045b7.jpg

• Like 1

Bobby Kendall in James Bidgood's legendary film, "Pink Narcisssus" (1971) -

e5833cbb18df546869f7ec138a6045b7.jpg

Does anybody have an information on Bobby Kendall?

Little William Dix stealing "The Nanny" away from Bette Davis -

the_nanny_1965_5_500x341_100120101236.jp

"The Slipper and the Rose - 1976 -

starring Richard Chamerblain -

the gayest Prince Charming on record - and completely invalidating the film -

6e27733fc7944164792a2ce09711541c.jpg

even worse, he's coupled with his lover from "The Music Lovers" -

the ineffable Christopher Gable.

• Like 1

I agree that Richard Chamberlain is woefully miscast as a heterosexual prince charming in THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE. He's arguably the weakest part of an otherwise strong and fine film. They should have cast someone like Michael York.

• Like 1

"The Slipper and the Rose - 1976 -

starring Richard Chamerblain -

the gayest Prince Charming on record - and completely invalidating the film -

6e27733fc7944164792a2ce09711541c.jpg

even worse, he's coupled with his lover from "The Music Lovers" -

the ineffable Christopher Gable.

They were casting subtext

• Like 1

I agree that Richard Chamberlain is woefully miscast as a heterosexual prince charming in THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE. He's arguably the weakest part of an otherwise strong and fine film. They should have cast someone like Michael York.

I didn't like the actress who played Cinderella, either - she had no discernible charm and had a weak singing voice.

• Like 1

They were casting subtext

I cannot believe that this perverse casting - Richard Chamberlain and Christopher Gable - wasn't deliberate.

But what was the reasoning - to me, it is such a mystery.

• Like 1

I didn't like the actress who played Cinderella, either - she had no discernible charm and had a weak singing voice.

Yes, Gemma Craven was kind of lackluster. The two most important roles in the entire movie could have been cast better. The supporting players were uniformly excellent. I loved seeing Edith Evans in her last screen role. And Margaret Lockwood and Kenneth More did nicely.

• Like 2

I cannot believe that this perverse casting - Richard Chamberlain and Christopher Gable - wasn't deliberate.

But what was the reasoning - to me, it is such a mystery.

Unless it was a gay casting director joke- Chamberlain and Gable even have a spirited duet.

• Like 2

Lilly James and Richard Madden made an ideal

fairy tale couple.

That dress! Those trousers :wub:

• Like 1

"The Woman In White" - Peter Godfrey - 1948

I don't like this film - it barely manages to explain the mysterious goings on -

but John Abbot's performance as the sickly uncle is so audaciously conceived -

as a far-from-together gay man -

that it becomes a memorable camp extravaganza -

and it totally unbalances the picture -

thank God, too, because Sidney Greenstreet's evil womanizer is totally unbelievable.

220px-Curt_Bois-John_Abbott_in_The_Woman

• Like 2

Eric Roberts and Mickey Rourke in "The Pope Of Greenwich Village" (1984 - Stuart Rosenberg) - 

two awesome performances that could never be forgotten -

as cousins, Paulie and Charlie, their relationship is heart-felt and real -

when the film ends, you are eager to see them in a sequel -

172372_full.jpg

• Like 2

Jane Powell as, according to the ads, "a cannibal princess" in Allan Dwan's next-to-last film, "Enchanted Island" -

s-l300.jpg

• Like 1

Jane Powell as, according to the ads, "a cannibal princess" in Allan Dwan's next-to-last film, "Enchanted Island" -

s-l300.jpg

Yes, what were they thinking. Is cannibal princess supposed to be code for a carnivorous sexual appetite?

• Like 1

Yes, what were they thinking. Is cannibal princess supposed to be code for a carnivorous sexual appetite?

I blame Jane Powell, she liked the script!

• Like 1

I blame Jane Powell, she liked the script!

RKO soon went out of business, which says something. And Powell's days as a movie star were nearly over.

• Like 1

"The Woman In White" - Peter Godfrey - 1948

I don't like this film - it barely manages to explain the mysterious goings on -

but John Abbot's performance as the sickly uncle is so audaciously conceived -

as a far-from-together gay man -

that it becomes a memorable camp extravaganza -

and it totally unbalances the picture -

thank God, too, because Sidney Greenstreet's evil womanizer is totally unbelievable.

220px-Curt_Bois-John_Abbott_in_The_Woman

The film should have been better. But John Abbott is brilliant. The scene in which he meets Gig Young can be used a master class in acting like a Victorian man with exquisitely delicate nerves. Vincent Price doesn't do it quite as well in The House of Usher, though one gets the impression he has seen John Abbott's performance.

Abbott's character -- and many of his lines -- are straight out of Wilkie Collins's novel.

• Like 2

Eric Roberts and Mickey Rourke in "The Pope Of Greenwich Village" (1984 - Stuart Rosenberg) - 

two awesome performances that could never be forgotten -

as cousins, Paulie and Charlie, their relationship is heart-felt and real -

when the film ends, you are eager to see them in a sequel -

172372_full.jpg

They were young and beautiful- Eric has aged better but his career is now strictly VOD- Mickey just had really bad plastic surgery

well at least he got an Oscar nomination

• Like 1

s-l300.jpg

This should have been a musical

• Like 1

"Ode To Billy Joe" - 1976 - directed by Max Baer, Jr. -

Robby Benson killing himself by jumping off the Tallahatchie Bridge -

because he spent a night with James Best -

ode-to-billy-joe-2.jpg?w=584

• Like 1

"Ode To Billy Joe" - 1976 - directed by Max Baer, Jr. -

Robby Benson killing himself by jumping off the Tallahatchie Bridge -

because he spent a night with James Best -

ode-to-billy-joe-2.jpg?w=584

But is that the real reason Billy Joe jumps of the bridge? The song gives no answer only vague clues.  In the movie the screenwriter must have come up with the homosexual panic angle because they needed a shocking revelation but the last time we see Billy alive he seems to be on way to dealing with his confusion about the incident.  Is Billy Joe gay or just confused?  There seems to be a missing scene- what happens when Billy goes home? Did he encounter someone else on the bridge that led to his death?  The idea that he killed himself because he got the girl pregnant sounds preposterous- I mean if anyone would have committed suicide it would have been her.  The filmmakers were only interested in doing a period doomed teen romance and not explore a more complex angle to the story.  It's interesting that Billy Joe's "rapist" is treated so sympathetically - we never see the act so we don't know if it was consensual- or if Billy Joe enjoyed it.  The implication is that he did enjoy it and realized that he was " one of those men" .  The story would make more sense if Billy Joe had fallen in love with another boy who rejected him and it drives him to commit suicide perhaps it might have been Bobby Lee's studly brother whose masculine beauty is very much on display.

• Like 1

But is that the real reason Billy Joe jumps of the bridge? The song gives no answer only vague clues.  In the movie the screenwriter must have come up with the homosexual panic angle because they needed a shocking revelation but the last time we see Billy alive he seems to be on way to dealing with his confusion about the incident.  Is Billy Joe gay or just confused?  There seems to be a missing scene- what happens when Billy goes home? Did he encounter someone else on the bridge that led to his death?  The idea that he killed himself because he got the girl pregnant sounds preposterous- I mean if anyone would have committed suicide it would have been her.  The filmmakers were only interested in doing a period doomed teen romance and not explore a more complex angle to the story.  It's interesting that Billy Joe's "rapist" is treated so sympathetically - we never see the act so we don't know if it was consensual- or if Billy Joe enjoyed it.  The implication is that he did enjoy it and realized that he was " one of those men" .  The story would make more sense if Billy Joe had fallen in love with another boy who rejected him and it drives him to commit suicide perhaps it might have been Bobby Lee's studly brother whose masculine beauty is very much on display.

Yes, the sympathetic treatment of James Best's character is most perplexing.